Free Member
Jul 4, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coach-built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks, everyone, for your advice on petrol v diesel, etc. I finally stumped up a chunk of savings on this today...

http://s1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc495/MartianTom/?action=view&current=Motorhome.jpg

It's a Fiat CI Sirio, 1996, 1.9 TD, 4 berth, one owner from new, 38,500 miles, full service history, all receipts (even for headlight bulbs), 12 month's MOT, new tyres, shower, toilet, hob (no cooker, but that's ok), fridge, Fianna awning.... all set and ready to go! The chap who owned it was quite elderly and hadn't used it much for the last 4 years. It's as clean as a very clean whistle - no dents or marks - and the interior is as new. He was also meticulous, and the folder contains handwritten notes showing oil changes every 4,500 miles, regular services, etc. The layout is not quite as I'd have preferred it, but it's fine for my needs as there is only me! It was listed at £13,995 - but I eventually got it for £12,000. I lose the 3-month warranty for that, but it was serviced not so long ago and I'm not planning on doing huge miles just yet anyway. Finally... it's only 16 feet long, so will fit in my parking space with room to spare.

Well chuffed! Picking it up tomorrow... so, the world's my oyster this weekend :thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Enjoy your new toy. Have a lovely weekend out in her.::bigsmile:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Congratulations on your purchase, exciting times ahead for you. Sign up for a few Fun meets and show your new van off.
:flyingwelcome:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Looks a tidy set of wheels..

Hope you get lots of enjoyment and many happy trips.. :thumb:

P.S...............Not keen on the oversized "Funster`s Flagpole on the back".... :winky: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Stan,
Congratulations you seem to have yourself a little beauty there. Enjoy it! I am sure you will have lots of fun and as you have already discovered there is lots of good avice to be found on our funsters site.
Don't be afraid to ask questions no matter how silly you may feel, you may just ask the question somone else wants an answer to and is also afraid to ask.

Take your MH out for a short trip asap and try every piece of equipment to make sure it all works.

Norman

OP
OP
S

Stan Seagrave

Free Member
Jul 4, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coach-built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions, folks. I picked it up this afternoon after a quick orientation. I took in most of what the salesman said, but I'll need to spend time with the manuals :Eeek:

It all seems pretty straightforward. Front brake pipes and rear shocks were replaced for the MOT. The mechanic said, though, that I ought to think about the cam belt if it hasn't been done. I've checked through the wads and wads of receipts that the previous owner kept, and though he was meticulous with things like services, oil changes, filter changes, tyres, brakes, etc, he doesn't seem to have had the cam belt done. The bus has only done 38,000 miles - but it's 16 years old, so I guess a new cam belt would be a good idea.

Is it an expensive job? And can any regular garage do it?

Another question. The fridge. The chap explained that I'd need to chill it down from the mains or gas first before it can be used. Once that's done, which would be the most economical way of using it: gas or 12v? I won't be using the electricity for more than lighting (which I'll keep to a minimum - and I may instead get some battery-operated LED lights) and for using a laptop. It was suggested that I get a solar panel for charging the leisure battery, but I was wondering if they really are worth the cost. Bear in mind that I won't be doing huge miles for a while, so the battery may not get a decent charge otherwise.

Thanks for any help.

Looking forward to that first sortie tomorrow... :Cool:

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Congrats on the new van !! Looks a nice bit of kit :thumb:

I would DEF get the cam belt done.. well over due by the sounds of it.

And if you need a hob, number one sone has one brand new he bought for a race van but never used ... :winky:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Stan and congrarts:thumb:The idea on your fridge is that you get it cold first on either gas or leccy---- leccy if you have access to H/Up at home before setting off :thumb: if not use gas :thumb:Once you set off you turn it onto 12v while the engine is running- when you get to where you are going turn it onto leccy if on hook up -gas if not:thumb:(It will not run on 12v if engine is not running:winky:)
Solar pans should not cross your mind until you see how you use the van and IF you need them-If you use site with H/U you will find you don't need them ::bigsmile: if wilding a lot consider adding another L/ batt first and see if that lasts you :thumb:The worst thing that can happen is you miss corrie for a night :ROFLMAO: If you find you run out of power AFTER adding the extra battery then it is time to consider spending money on solar :winky:
Ask yourself is it More a case of wanting rather than needing :Eeek::winky:
terry

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
congratulations, and enjoy.

Yes yes yes to getting the cam belt done, you have saved enough on the purchase to get it done, normally around the £250-£350 depending where you get it done.
youv'e even saved enough to splash out on membership to fun now so your not be read only and can come and tell us about your weekend away:roflmto:

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Health to enjoy!

I am still looking, I am eating and sleeping Motorhomes! I have looked at so many now I need to start again as I have lost track :)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Well done on your purchase and hope you have loads of fun in it id get the cam belt done asap

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back