got all our bikes knicked south france :-( (1 Viewer)

dazzaandjay

Free Member
Mar 14, 2009
Sahorre, South France
Funster No
MH
Hymer b754
Exp
hi all
if your travelling around south france (gard/sete) it would seem not everything is safe.

this weekend we set off for a trip from our home on the side of the canigou to palavos les flots near montpellier, about 2 hours away, huge site, on the river, 120 camper vans, almost full, anyway, great site, great location, got our bikes off the van, went for a short ride around to sea front, came back, locked up bikes to lamppost (just like everyone else had), during the night some gits knicked both our bikes with kiddie seats in tow :-( my bike was 2k, ouch, gotta get the insurance to pay out now :-(

be on your guard, i had 2 locks on on them, took the locks as well, dont know how.

talked to our neighbours at the time, one had his spare wheel taken from under his van (under slung wheel type), others had chairs etc taken.

Shame, as the site is great.

tried not to let it spoil our time, we then went off to augies mortes (spelling?), superb spot, massive fortified town on the river, then onto sete along side med wild camping, road was a bit noisy but swinging the door open and having the beach and see 12 inches away is great :)

back home today, nice trip except for bikes, be on your guard, have good insurance and lots of locks, if on a very very busy site in amongst 120 other vans we can get 2 bikes stolen which were well locked up, well ....

live and learn, will wire the next bikes upto the gennie ;-) that will raise some hairs

D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
bit late with advise now.....:Doh: and i hope the insurance pay out.
it may be worth it next time to alarm the bikes.

those personal attack alarms with the removable trigger pin would do the job.
fix the alarm out of sight, they're small enough, and attach wires to the bikes so if they are moved they will pull the pin and set off the alarm.

just a thought.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

dazzaandjay

Free Member
Mar 14, 2009
Sahorre, South France
Funster No
MH
Hymer b754
Exp
good advice

hi
well, its good advice for others :) and something to defo look into for our next set of bikes, had'nt thought of that.

thanks
Darren

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

skylark_irl

Free Member
Mar 1, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Pappajohn,

That's a good idea - but why not replace the alarm with a hand-grenade - when they pull the pin out everyone will know they stealing the bikes :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
For safety's sake please make sure you have instant puncture repair fluid in your tyres before using hand grenade method:RollEyes:

Upvote 0

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
£2000 bike :Eeek: and your suprised it got knicked :Doh:

Would you leave a 65" plasma screen locked to a lampost and expect it to be there when you got back?

Bolt cutters cost less than £5, my advice would to buy a second hand servicable bike for £30ish to use with the mh and keep the expensive 1 at home :thumb:

I dont condone the theft of your bike, its wrong, but do you not feel that you kind of left the door open to thieves??

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Are you sure you weren't gassed?:Eeek:

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Recently amongst the items nicked from our garden were two bikes which cost just over 1k

I couldnt find the receipts to prove everything, however they agreed with the details I supplied, they paid out just under £400 for the two. Although when purchased they were top spec, equivalents are far cheaper.

My bike was purchased just before being hit by a lorry so wasnt used and just sat in the shed. We only moved the bikes out to put in my dads stuff. I was gutted when they offered me initally under £200 for it.

No point in me getting a replacement as I cant ride a bike anymore, however there is a good company that many insurance companies used called Wheelies, so if you want a replacement you are better off getting them to replace the exact same bike than claiming the money.

Dont expect to get what you paid. I do however hope that the insurance company cough up for you or replace the bikes.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
my advice would to buy a second hand servicable bike for £30ish to use with the mh and keep the expensive 1 at home :thumb:

I had my expensive Trek mountain bike stolen at Capbreton. When I reported to the police they said it was probably targeted and stolen by pros who look for upmarket bikes. This was on an aire with 100 vans and probably + 150 bikes to choose from but mine was the only one nicked .. Others left their tatty old bikes lying about, mine was chained to a security post with heavy duty chain.. but it still walked.. :Angry:

Buy a tatty old bike from a boot sale that no one wants.. that's the advice I was given.. :Sad:

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2008
Highworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 85
Hi onother idea too late as always but we use an alarm padlock mount it on the frame slightest movement it goes off must be a movement sensor I suppose also use it on the little genny when not running every little helps as they say bought it at york show couple of years qago about a tenner I think guy seems to be at most shows :thumb:
Pete

Upvote 0

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
2 grand for a pushbike?..................was it gold plated and diamond incrusted? :Eeek:
Or maybe you bought it at a celeb auction and it belonged to Dougie Lampkin and there was 50 free lessons thrown in by Doug?:Eeek:
Or maybe it was developed by NASSA for the Mars project?:Eeek:

Or just maybe you have a BIG light on your head and they saw you comming? :thumb:

Boo

Upvote 0

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
2 grand for a pushbike?..................was it gold plated and diamond incrusted? :Eeek:
Or maybe you bought it at a celeb auction and it belonged to Dougie Lampkin and there was 50 free lessons thrown in by Doug?:Eeek:
Or maybe it was developed by NASSA for the Mars project?:Eeek:

Or just maybe you have a BIG light on your head and they saw you comming? :thumb:

Boo

Why don't you get off the fence and say what you really mean !!!! I thought that was a little bit harsh of you !! it could happen to you with something that you value, not necessarily of monetary value .. I see you live in Cornwall !!!! Dreckly tomorrow we are going to the Doubletrees Camp Site in Par.. If you are nearby call in for a drink!!! :thumb:

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
I went to Par today. I went to collect a Porche for a dealer . It was a private address. The car was parked on the street outside. The lady gave me the paperwork and when I asked for the keys she told me the keys were in the ignition. She told me people in Cornwall were
honest.

So I can't decide which is more eccentric.

a ) a £2000 bike chained to a lamppost

or

b ) a £20000 Porche parked on the street with the keys in the ignition

Thinking about it, maybe they are equally eccentric

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi onother idea too late as always but we use an alarm padlock mount it on the frame slightest movement it goes off must be a movement sensor I suppose also use it on the little genny when not running every little helps as they say bought it at york show couple of years qago about a tenner I think guy seems to be at most shows :thumb:
Pete

never thiought of that :Doh:

i have one of those for the scoot, trailer and genny.

works a treat and i saw the guy give a customer a new one when he complained his old one stopped working, no questions asked. good customer relations i think.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Coming from a fair few years in motorcycling, I would recommend visiting a bike show or shop. There's always a good selection of decently priced alarmed locks.
Only a thought. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back