Got a soveneir this week from France (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

Look Webby, I'm French, I see and talk with LOTS of people here, at the stadium I am the warden. Brexit hasn't been in any conversation I've had up to now. OUR concern is indeed OUR country. You seem to forget we are the ones who are always on strike for whatever reasons about OUR laws. Brexit is not one of those reasons. Mainly what is said about it is " well done you, you showed the Europe you've got balls!! OK it's not done yet, but I'm pretty sure it will be in newspapers for a week may be a bit more, but then we'll go back to Hollande and his "willy" 's adventures round the world, if brexit happens while he's still there. Our priorities are not British people and their wish of indepence, but first thing first .... security of the country, getting rid of Daech, which goes together with security, and next presidential vote. Then comes level of life , retirement and unemployment allowances. Somewhere down the list , after agriculture and "grippe aviaire" might come Brexit, and only if it compromises OUR plans.
EDIT You'll always find on your way people who hate English, and others (like me) who love them , nothing to do with Brexit; stupidity or war bad memories, only.

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Look Webby, I'm French, I see and talk with LOTS of people here, at the stadium I am the warden. Brexit hasn't been in any conversation I've had up to now. OUR concern is indeed OUR country. You seem to forget we are the ones who are always on strike for whatever reasons about OUR laws. Brexit is not one of those reasons. Mainly what is said about it is " well done you, you showed the Europe you've got balls!! OK it's not done yet, but I'm pretty sure it will be in newspapers for a week may be a bit more, but then we'll go back to Hollande and his "willy" 's adventures round the world, if brexit happens while he's still there. Our priorities are not British people and their wish of indepence, but first thing first .... security of the country, getting rid of Daech, which goes together with security, and next presidential vote. Then comes level of life , retirement and unemployment allowances. Somewhere down the list , after agriculture and "grippe aviaire" might come Brexit, and only if it compromises OUR plans.
EDIT You'll always find on your way people who hate English, and others (like me) who love them , nothing to do with Brexit; stupidity or war bad memories, only.

Well said. :clap2::clap2::france:
We've spent most of the time since the Brexit vote travelling Europe and not once have we been criticised for it, in fact its hardly been mentioned, why should it, but on the odd occasion it has most thought we'd done the right thing and admired us for it.
We'll still be coming to France and the rest of Europe for many years yet I hope, and I'm positive we'll still be treated in the same friendly way by the majority as always. :)(y)

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I see and talk with LOTS of people here

Grrrrr... I see and talk TO lots of people ! I hate when I make this sort of silly mistake! So there, corrected

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Grrrrr... I see and talk TO lots of people ! I hate when I make this sort of silly mistake! So there, corrected
Not a mistake at all. "Talking with" is a far better use of language than "talking to" - unless you are a nagging fishwife armed with a rolling pin and confronting a totally drunken husband coming home.......... "with" is the conversation, isn't it?

When I had that car accident near Stuttgart a few months ago, the Polizei gentlemen asked me about leaving the EU and we both agreed that it was for politicians as manufacturers and exporters still want to trade with each other and nothing much will really change. The big worry is the domino effect with other dissatisfied countries

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Not a mistake at all. "Talking with" is a far better use of language than "talking to" - unless you are a nagging fishwife armed with a rolling pin and confronting a totally drunken husband coming home.......... "with" is the conversation, isn't it?

When I had that car accident near Stuttgart a few months ago, the Polizei gentlemen asked me about leaving the EU and we both agreed that it was for politicians as manufacturers and exporters still want to trade with each other and nothing much will really change. The big worry is the domino effect with other dissatisfied countries

Well I've learned something more today then. I tried to recall any situation in which I would have heard "talking with" and I could not. As this is the way French would say it, I thought , Heck...again girl you 've been translating! So quite happy to know I can translate and have it right now and then.
But I was doing the right thing by correcting, otherwise no one would have known I wasn't sure. AND I can now teach it. Thanks for that Mister DuxDeluxe, much appreciated!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Well I've learned something more today then. I tried to recall any situation in which I would have heard "talking with" and I could not. As this is the way French would say it, I thought , Heck...again girl you 've been translating! So quite happy to know I can translate and have it right now and then.
But I was doing the right thing by correcting, otherwise no one would have known I wasn't sure. AND I can now teach it. Thanks for that Mister DuxDeluxe, much appreciated!
Thanks - to be fair, it is very slightly old fashioned English (as a live and changing language) but when you think about it, plus the explanation, then the logic is completely clear.

Edit, maybe I've been French influenced a bit as well, having lived in Geneva for 4 years......although they do talk rather slowly there

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I voted to leave the EU but not for the reasons you outline.
I voted to leave because we are full, we don't have enough housing, doctors, schools. The NHS is being swamped by EU migrant patients, wives and family coming here to have their babies and major operations for free.
I voted leave to get control back to the UK away from unelected beurocrats in Brussels, not because I have fallen out of love with Europe. We have lived with green cards and passport controls, we still have a different currency and I am positive that our visits and money will be just as welcome. As has been said the residents of mainland Europe have bigger worries than us leaving the EU.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

E'love, don't thee worry 'bout it, It takes mi all mi time 't order 't bread in't mornin in French.:whistle:

My dear, don't worry about it, it takes me all my time to order the bread in the morning :)

@yodeli , don't worry about a thing. Your grasp of the English language is brilliant, just carry on as you are, bravo.(y)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

E'love, don't thee worry 'bout it, It takes mi all mi time 't order 't bread in't mornin in French.:whistle:

My dear, don't worry about it, it takes me all my time to order the bread in the morning :)

@yodeli , don't worry about a thing. Your grasp of the English language is brilliant, just carry on as you are, bravo.(y)

I bloody need a translation of that northern English...!:whistle:

:cool:

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I voted to leave the EU but not for the reasons you outline.
I voted to leave because we are full, we don't have enough housing, doctors, schools.

The NHS is being swamped by EU doctors working hard. Wives and family coming here to have their babies to grow and work in the UK and pay taxes to keep us in our old age.

As I surgeon, I had a spanish anaesthetist, and portuguese registrar; who were each excellent. I have been replaced by a dutch consultant.

I've recently finished "Why rich countries fail" - a very interesting read.

Essentially, in a wealthy country:
a; people have fewer babies as they value a materialistic lifestyle
b; they live longer
c; they may retire earlier
d; their children do not want to look after them in their old age.

If the reproductive index is less than 2.2, the population falls without immigration. No country in Europe presently has a RI more than 2.2, and many are down to 1.3,1.2 (mainly catholic countries!!)

Pensions are a Ponzi scheme - my pension is paid by people working now and paying NI, not from the NI that I paid. As the ratio to work life/pension grows in favour of pension, we MUST have immigration to keep the system ticking over.

As far as I can see, we can pull in immigrants from Europe who have similar mores and lifestyles to us, or from wider afield (essentially Asian muslims). Australia and NZ need all the people and doctors they can get, so they will not help us.

So the choice is:
Work MUCH longer so the ratio favours work over retirement
Have many more "British" children to fill the gap
Import European workers
Import Asian workers

Aside from the whole population "swamping" argument [and no one who has driven the M25 can feel what this country needs is more people], I seriously worry that the values and religion I was raised into is under existential threat.

Europe - I LOVE IT! Last year I was in an Italian pub, run by a german, watching Holland v France and chatting to an Austrian (in German); all friends, all civilised and probably eating pork and drinking beer - brilliant!!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The NHS is being swamped by EU doctors working hard. Wives and family coming here to have their babies to grow and work in the UK and pay taxes to keep us in our old age.

As I surgeon, I had a spanish anaesthetist, and portuguese registrar; who were each excellent. I have been replaced by a dutch consultant.

b; they live longer

If the reproductive index is less than 2.2, the population falls without immigration. No country in Europe presently has a RI more than 2.2, and many are down to 1.3,1.2 (mainly catholic countries!!)

Pensions are a Ponzi scheme - my pension is paid by people working now and paying NI, not from the NI that I paid. As the ratio to work life/pension grows in favour of pension, we MUST have immigration to keep the system ticking over.

As far as I can see, we can pull in immigrants from Europe who have similar mores and lifestyles to us, or from wider afield (essentially Asian muslims). Australia and NZ need all the people and doctors they can get, so they will not help us.

So the choice is:
Import European workers
Import Asian workers

Aside from the whole population "swamping" argument [and no one who has driven the M25 can feel what this country needs is more people], I seriously worry that the values and religion I was raised into is under existential threat.

Europe - I LOVE IT! Last year I was in an Italian pub, run by a german, watching Holland v France and chatting to an Austrian (in German); all friends, all civilised and probably eating pork and drinking beer - brilliant!!
I'd like to see ALL religions under existential threat :).

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013

b; they live longer

So the choice is:
Import European workers
Import Asian workers

For far too many years successive uk governments have been selling the family silver.
Gold reserves, council houses, utilities, railways, public buildings and now mod land.
As you say it is a ponzi scheme, and that is why successive governments have turned a blind eye to immigration.
Greed and selfishness will eventually catch up with us all.
Other European countries are in the same state as us and are glad to get immigrants to bail them out.
Interest rates have also been kept very low in an attempt to bail out the our government. But other forces are now working against them.

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe

b; they live longer

So the choice is:
Import European workers
Import Asian workers

I don't (and never will) have any problem with importing professionals and skilled labour. It's the multi thousands (thanks to the opening of Eastern Europe's flood gates) not fitting that description that I have issue with.

"This country has no shortage of 'home grown' unskilled labour thankyou", should be an answer that we are entitled to give.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Cant do that ere !! Ooman rites ya knaws ..lol

I think they can!

Certainly at Xmas they set up random stops for breath tests. I was pulled a few years back and when I wound down the window she got close enough to smell the air coming out of my window and waved me on as I had not been drinking but I asked to try one and she obliged and it dutifully came back zero.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I wholeheartedly agree with it. Every weekend there was a "Booze Bus" somewhere in Sydney. You got randomly pulled in, Blow in the tube please sir, Positive? Hand over your Licence and Keys, and start walking. There be an envelope coming through your door in a couple of days!

Had a nephew in NZ he got pulled over, tested positive. Smart arsed Teenager he wouldn't tell them his name, they shoved him in Poremoremo Prison (a Cat A) till he did. When a kid his own age smashed thro a window and died he told them his name

They confiscated his Ute (worth $NZ5OOO) banned for 5 years, and fined $NZ5000.
Wow That's about £30 isn't it?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
40% of accidents are caused by drunken drivers

That means 60% are caused by sober drivers

So it is safer to drive, drunk! ;)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013

Talking with certainly implies more than one way traffic i.e. a conversation. Talking to does suggest more of a one way traffic and talking at certainly implies either the person talking is berating the other or the person being talked at is unresponsive.

Its all about the nuances of meaning and understanding!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
40% of accidents are caused by drunken drivers

That means 60% are caused by sober drivers

So it is safer to drive, drunk! ;)