GoPro look alike

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by olley, Jun 25, 2016.

1. olley

olley Funster

Bought a GoPro chinese copy from Geek.wish.com it arrived today, its good, it works. I have a genuine GoPro borrowed from my daughter and have been comparing it, I can't really tell the difference, except the copy has a rear screen that's bigger than the front screen on the GoPro.
    The difference in price though! GoPro hero 3 £289 (Now discontinued) Chinese copy £16.15 delivered!!!!
    It also comes with a pile of mounts and bits. How do they do it?

Ian

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Man makes something and gets taxed having a building and staff to make it in. Man gets taxed on earning for selling on item so puts price up to cover tax. Buyer gets taxed on holding building for distribution and having staff to make the distribution so puts price up to cover this. Sells to shops who has overheads and put price up and the buyer (you) has to pat VAT. Rip of Britain hello china :D

• Like Like x 2
  3. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I suspect it is made of inferior and cheaper parts and probably won't last / perform as well as the original
    But, if it works and it's any good, you could buy nearly 18 of them for the price of 1 GoPro
    i might have £16.15 to spare.........

• Like Like x 1
  4. ****

**** Read Only Funster

So you are not for sure then? Hey you are most likely correct but i buy from China also like the stereo in my van and simple items like USB sockets. One i wanted was a Micro right angle USB cable that was 1.5m long. UK sellers wanted £4.50+ where China wanted .99p delivered.

• Like Like x 2
  5. wigster

wigster Funster

People who make these in china have no life and are basically being abused to earn money to eat . I dont know this for a fact ive never been to China .
    As a so called communist country China shows the worst of capitalism .
    It is no more than slavery really .
    It is what it is tho and as long as the Chinese and others can produce things this cheap , they are showing up the flip side of capitalism . The western company's create a brand ie go pro etc and charge the earth for people who must have a brand name . Still made in the east cheaply.

The internet has turned trade up side down . I agree @Notakwak with your post as well .

Everyone taking a slice out the price we mugs pay .

Climbing off my high horse , im never going to change anything and ive got no answer so cheap is good . A link would be good @olley (y)

6. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Not sure about olley's link but national geographic put there name on them also

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...TRS0&_nkw=national+geographic+camera&_sacat=0

When i was a kid i would open up Video players, radio cassette players and the likes to see what made them tic. Made in China is printed on a lot of items circuitry.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. wigster

wigster Funster

(y) thanks mate

8. Allanm

Allanm Funster

The GoPro is manufactured in China ( Hong Kong) by Woodman Labs, not by some other maker who slaps different names on it.
    There are a lot of similar makes and copies, China is very good at producing something that looks like the original, sometimes selling counterfeit copies of originals.
    I think most of the electronic stuff around comes from China and lots of companies have their products made there.
    I have a pretty high end USA brand telescope ( Meade). It comes with a Made in China Sticker on it.
    But back to gopros, they are expensive and lots of cheaper brands perform very well
    I bought my Daughter an SJCam 4000. Almost a copy of the GoPro, but there are fake copies of that too!
    At the moment, I have a Muvi K2. Video quality is excellent at 1/3 the price of a GoPro.

9. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Those people taking the slice... Are they the product designers? The ones that came up with the idea in the first place? The developers that improved it? Or the marketing peeps that promoted it so it became known to those that use it now? Or the investors that put down the money to launch it? Are these the people that had failures along the way but now have a product that people want? If you take them out of the equation and just copy the product it will be cheaper but you'll screw innovation. The likes of the Chinese and own branded goods from the supermarket are cheap because they are copies of products where others have done the hard, expensive work so of course they can sell them cheaper.

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Forgive my poetic word play with your post

• Like Like x 1
  11. olley

olley Funster

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Got one on order. I want to see what wildlife is in our garden overnight.
    Thanks Olley.
    Mitch.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Not sure how long the battery will last, you might need to power it externally for an overnight session.

14. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

Bought one of these before I went to Spain in February, paid around £27. If you want to use it as an action camera (as I did) and attach it to my mountain bike, FORGET IT. Rubbish. Its all to do with FPS (frames per second) Max FPS is 30, it might look ok on the small screen but put it on anything larger and its Pants!
    Go pro hero, which I think is the cheapest model, has 60FPS. So for action you pays your money.....
    Look at the footage on this link: http://www.coolsmartphone.com/2015/06/22/kitvision-splash-waterproof-action-camera-review/
    I should have before buying. :(

15. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I might get one to mount on the passenger side of the van so I can see who / what I am about to hit that I can't see from the drivers seat.
    I won't stress too much if it falls off, for £15....
    Might need a wifi version though and link it to my iPad.

16. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. ****

**** Read Only Funster

18. olley

olley Funster

Battery lasts about 11/2 hours, similar to a GoPro I believe. @Boringfrog yes if you want cinema quality you need to spend the cash, but 30fps is fine for me. I think the cheap vehicle cameras are the same, and their ok for what they do.

Ian

• Like Like x 1
  19. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

Is that one and a half hours? ;)

20. olley

olley Funster

Yes, got lazy :)

• Like Like x 1