Google street view goes live in the UK today ! (1 Viewer)

gixermark

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
Hereford
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
2 years ! Ex "Tugger" of 7 years + !!
Hi All

Well, if you haven't seen it yet ..... Google Street View has gone live in the UK today ( 11/03/10 ) and what an amazing bit of software it is! :thumb:

Previously it was only main roads in some cities but from today over 95% of the UK is now covered ( sorry if your not! ) :Eeek:

Pop onto google maps and have a look.

For all you lucky 3GS iphone users ( ahem, me included ! ) it is also available on our maps on the phone. Example : put your postcode in, a pin will drop near your address with a banner saying the street .... to the left is a red circle with a person in it .... touch this and watch what happens !!! To move along the street, touch the arrow in the middle of the street and it will move in this direction ( may take a few seconds ) Use the peel back page in the bottom right hand corner to flick the main page, find drop-pin, use this, it will then drop a pin in the area you are looking on the map. Keep your finger on the screen and 'drag' the pin to where you want to look ...... press the red person and you can look around .... 360 degrees!

Imagine the above will be the same as for PC / Laptop users etc.

Go on .... have a nose at your next holiday destination in Cornwall / Devon / Wales and have a look at the local area before you arrive ..... simply timeless !!

And yes, to you 'Glooms' who will slate this software re privicy / burglars / etc etc etc ..... get a life ....... they can walk along your street and see the same at any time, night or day!:Doh:

Get with it ......... it's fab .....:thumb:

Last edited:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I saw the van come up my street.

Cant believe it I am getting into my Jeep outside the house.

Wish I could cut and paste it.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Just checked out my house and we must have been away, so, fortunately, no van on the drive to interest any thieves or vagabonds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Our motorhome wasnt there, I think the pictures are from Xmas 2008 sometime, judging by the cars and my neighbours have xmas lights up.

Pat

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
And yes, to you 'Glooms' who will slate this software re privicy / burglars / etc etc etc ..... get a life ....... they can walk along your street and see the same at any time, night or day!:Doh:

Get with it ......... it's fab .....:thumb:

Yes it is 'fab' .. and I'm not a gloom merchant .. but

the crooks can now case the job without leaving home and no chance of being seen

all technology can be used for good and evil :Sad:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
My caravan is in the picture so that dates it august 2009 or newer in my region nof Wales

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Just looked at my house and I think its brilliant. Just think, if your an Estate Agent you dont need anybody around the house with a camera anymore.

Mine was taken last summer, a glorious blue sky and sunshine day. Did we have any of those last summer ?

Jim
:Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Big time differences from street to street !

One view shows the new van, another the old van !

One view shows the development behind my property well under way

One view shows the old garage blocks, untouched but with fencing round.
Very weird !!

Still, absolutely love this stuff !

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Incredible!

You can actually see the Wagon in one of my summer park up locations (number plate blurred but the huge, white finger print logo is a bit of giveaway.)

Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing but either way it is...

Incredible!

JJ

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
The problems start when you see a strange car on your drive when you were at work :whatthe:

Jim
:winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The problems start when you see a strange car on your drive when you were at work :whatthe:

Jim
:winky:

Spooky.

I thought there is no way they will have been down my lane. People can't find it when I tell them where we are! Just checked and there is my house. AND a dodgy looking car parked outside, they have obscured the numberplate so I'll never find out who it was::bigsmile:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Superb for identifying potential wild camping and picnic spots.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Excuse my ignorance,, but how do you get on it or find it? :RollEyes:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
just had a look for my house and MH and theres a great big recycling collection wagon in front:cry:

Robinhood

Free Member
Mar 7, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20 years
Excuse my ignorance,, but how do you get on it or find it? :RollEyes:

Thought someone would have replied by now, but not - so here goes.

Go to google home page (www.google.co.uk)

Select 'maps' from the menu which appears when you hover mouse anywhere on the page.

Street view is selected by clicking on the 'orange man' that is at the top of the zoom scale, and dragging and dropping on the map at the appropriate place on the map.

Before doing this, it is best to get close to the intended geographic target first by either using the search facility at the top (postcode, town, street name etc.) or by zooming and dragging the map around to get your target area displayed.

I also find it easier to have selected 'satellite' as the view type at the top left of the map, and tick the 'show labels' if you want street names to be overlaid.

As you drag the orange man from the top of the zoom scale, all the streets which have a street view become outlined in blue. Just drop the man where you want to be in an outlined area. Street view appears.

Once you're in street view, the navigation is quite intuitive - click on an arrow on the displayed direction line to move in that direction, drag the compass round to look about you, zoom in and out as required, etc.

HTH

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well, they must have been down our road last summer because the (deciduous) hedge is in full leaf - so full, in fact that you can hardly see the house. The end of the drive is there but no photo up the drive so can't see if the van was there that day or not :Smile:

Graham

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Yep we are on for all and sundry to see. Taken last summer and thankfully no Motorhome or boats on the drive when it was taken, only the little Erde and another trailer are on it as well as my Ferrari and Porche :Doh:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I saw the van come up my street.

Cant believe it I am getting into my Jeep outside the house.

Wish I could cut and paste it.

If you are using Vista, there is a little tool called Snip .. Click on the windows help on your machine and all will be explained :Smile:

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Flaming eck that is unbeleivable. Luckily there was road works at the end of our lane so they didnt come down but hell that is "Big brother watching you"

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Another possible would be to use the mouse to highlight an area you wish to copy and then press the left hand ctrl key with the C key at the same time

That would put what you have highlighted in to memory

Open any paint program you have ( I use Paint Shop Pro for instance but there are many many others ) and then either press ctrl and the V key at the same time or ( and this is a bit of a guess as it will vary from program to program ) click Edit and then Paste..

Or !! ( sorry ! ) right click in the paint program window and select paste from the menu :Smile:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Cntl + PrtScrn does work, (although Alt +PrtScrn only captures the active window which tends to be better IMHO.) although it only puts it into the clipboard. If you use a graphics package such as Irfanview (free .... we like free!) then just paste it into the canvas. You can then crop it to your hearts content to get rid if any unwanted screen data and Save As JPG, PDF and numerous other file types. You can also paste into many other packages that handle graphics including Word etc.

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Just had a play and I like it now you can check out the area of your next trip, very handy.

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
The easiest way to show other people what you are seeing is by using the built-in link function that can be found in the blue frame just above the picture and next to the "print" and "send" buttons :Smile: The button you are looking for has a link symbol and "link" in text right next to it.

That way you dont need to capture the screen using another program.

Rasmus

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Wow, they even made it to sleepy old Ilfracombe. They caught my Motorhome in the drive and the Bongo in the road. Just love it.

Lesley

OP
OP
gixermark

gixermark

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
Hereford
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
2 years ! Ex "Tugger" of 7 years + !!
Just as an add to this thread I started, worth pointing out that Google have said the reason it had taken so long for this to go 'live' in the UK was that they needed to have dry & if possible sunny days to give the best effect / clearest picture!

Blimey ..... When did they start ..... 0001 AD !!!!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back