Google:: Oradour sur Glane..

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by old-mo, Nov 4, 2009.

1. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

On "Hagnap`s" Reccomendation we went to Oradour sur Glane,, if you get a chance go on google or one of the search engines and have a read.

What a Strangely, earie, sad place.. I have been to a lot of war memorials but this takes some beating.

Most of the buildings have no roofs or inners but some have house hold items as they were left.. ie sinks/tools/sewing machines and even complete cars be they rusting away in what used to be their garages..

If you get a chance it is worth a visit,, some thing that cannot be described in words.. :thumb:

Thank you Paul, much appreciated.

2. rolyk

rolyk Funster

Totally agree.

And the tiny church where hundreds of women and children were slaughtered by the German machine gunners leaving bullet marks everywhere. It's just so hard to believe that it happened in my lifetime.

3. zaskar

zaskar Funster

Fully agree. One of those places where you wish you hadn't gone..............but in a way, you're glad you did.
    ffi' and I left in tears.:Sad:

4. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Been...makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up...but glad we have been...we are still finding over here there is still a lot hate for "Germans" and you can understand why when you have read about.... Oradour sur Glane...or been
    Mel

5. squireh

squireh Read Only Funster

Oradour Sur Glane.

Worth a visit.We called last June,stayed over night on the aire near the football stadium about 10 mins wallk to town centre and another 10/15 walk to the Martyr village.

6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

7. neilmac

neilmac Read Only Funster

More photos here too.

As already said a very powerful and moving experience to visit.

8. stagman

stagman Deleted User

9. vindiboy

vindiboy Funster

Were any explanations ever given by the NAZIS for this atrocity,or has it just been filed under the heading of that's how they behaved?Was anyone ever held responsible ?:Angry::Angry::Angry:

10. Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot Read Only Funster

I understand the Resistance took hostage a German Soldier so they took it out on the village. We have a French girl who visits friends over the road her Family originate from the location.

11. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

My uunderstanding was that a German soldier was caught,tortured, and then murdered by the resistance. However when the Germans went to Oradour they went to the wrong one. The soldier was taken and killed in a completely different Oradour.
    Thats what Bob from Parc verger said.

Im so glad you went Mo, it wasn't a sort of place to go and enjoy yourself but definitely a place to visit. We were left gobsmacked when we went there. if any one wants to go, Parc Verger is a good site to stop at. We actually stayed on the aire at Oradour,

12. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Having visited many Concentration camps and WW2 sites in Germany, Poland an Austria, this is one place on my 'must see' list.

I can imagine the eeriness of Oradur.

An often told story about Concentration camps is that you don't hear any birds singing. I never believed it as many are sited in areas surrounded by country or woodland and sure enough plenty of wild birds can be heard singing.

But then I visited Belsen.......and heard not one bird singing.

13. sersol

sersol Read Only Funster

I'm not sure that not hearing birds is anything to do with what happened there.
    Birds don't sing in my garden.....................................................................................................................................we got a cat:Wink:
    I have been there and must admit its hard not to shed a tear.

14. Autoquest

Autoquest Read Only Funster

Now we are all EU chums together isn't it time to get rid of these places and move on? This place was renovated with an all singing and dancing visitor centre some time in the late eighties or early nineties and when I was there I couldn't help wondering why?

15. Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot Read Only Funster

In case we forget springs to mind.:Smile:

16. sersol

sersol Read Only Funster

"Now we are all EU chums together isn't it time to get rid of these places and move on?"

The short answer is NO.
    If we get rid of these places,how can we remember,if we can't remember,how do we stand any chance of stopping it in the future ?

17. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

No,,, I strongly disagree with what you are saying,,

The visitor centre was opened in 1997,, and well worth a visit and to read the story of the village..

What you are saying is the same as let`s get rid of the "Cenotaph" and other war memorials..:Sad:

And my personal opinion is they should stay as a reminder to those who lost their lives so we may live in relative freedom,, for future generations..

An old saying springs to mind... "Lest we Forget" those that laid down their lives..

18. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

I think your choice of words is not particularly wise.

You are entitled to your view......but thankfully it will remain as an obscured minority.

19. don

don Read Only Funster

if you visit there you can buy a DVD in english with the story of the atrocity,
    well worth it we thought.
    Don

20. Belgian

Belgian Funster

Certainly not,
    Maybe we could forgive, but we may never forget what the Nazi's did. The older people
    who wittnessed the war and the occupation are nearly gone now. Somehow the present generation has to be aware what atrocities a dictorial regime could do with innocent people. And it is a good thing nowadays Germans see what happened in WWII
    I admid Aradour is overpolished as a touristic item. Maybe they should left it more sober as a humble memorial site.
    I reflect by this the US monument in Baugnez near Malmedy where more than 80 unarmed US prisonners where slaughtered by the SS, or the monument in Bastogne and numerous small remembrance sites in Belgium dedicated to murdered civilians.
    Forgive: yes; forget: no :Eeek::thumb: