Google Maps Street View What do you think? (2 Viewers)

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I had a look at Google Maps and the Street View this morning and at last my village is on. If your not familier with this go to http://maps.google.co.uk/

From there in the search box put your village or town name or a place of interest, even a post code. You should then get a satellite image of the area which you can zoom in on. Now here is the interesting bit, once you have zoomed in on a road or place of interest you can click and drag the little yellow man on the Zoom control bar on the left and drop him in the road and now you get close up imagary of the street and houses. You can even move up and down the street.

I managed to find my house with the motorhome parked outside and could zoom up close enough to read the number plate or look into my house windows.

Now. What do you think? Really useful or a burglers dream?

I can see it being fantastic for checking out areas in the UK to camp such as CL's or wild camping spots but I cant help feeling a little exposed by it.

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
Overall I think its excellent barryd :thumb:

A villain need only to physically pass by to gather the same info anyway.

There is a 'report a problem' type link on each view if you want to tell them to blank your number plate apparently.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The whole point is that the pics show nothing more than anyone driving / walking by could see.

The argument that thieves could use it is of course valid, but the very same argument stands for road maps and GPS's !

If you reckon the pictures show right in side your house then the same applies to anyone waling past.. they too can see in to your house

Might I suggest nets ? :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
The whole point is that the pics show nothing more than anyone driving / walking by could see.

The argument that thieves could use it is of course valid, but the very same argument stands for road maps and GPS's !

If you reckon the pictures show right in side your house then the same applies to anyone waling past.. they too can see in to your house

Might I suggest nets ? :Smile:

Yes please!
fishnet-stockings.jpg
:thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Excellent for the DVLA Vehicle Road fund licence checkers....

Maybe they won't have to sit by the side of the road with their cameras now....Poor Things..:RollEyes:

They can just send the "boys" round to crush it....:ROFLMAO:

Oh and the Local Building planning authorities and ..............

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well my car is on our drive, photo is smack on the back of it but if you try to blow it up any more, it's one too many and you can't. Also the caravan is on the drive. That's the caravan we got rid of in favour of the van.

Eldest daughters - her old car.

Anyone relying on 12 month old info to do a burglary would be pretty daft!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back