Free Member
May 8, 2012
back in uk for a while
Funster No
MH
sold - none at the moment
Exp
June 2012
Has anyone out there got one of these new samsung google chromebooks. Just wondering how it compares with laptops, tablets etc. I want something that has a keyboard but is light to cart around as we are full timing. Any advice gratefully received. Presently using the work computer, but only got that for another couple of months. It seems to come with 3G, but does that work in Europe?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I looked at them in January when I was considering changing my Windows 7 Netbook.

I wasn't happy with the OS nor with the tiny solid state "hard drive" which basically forces people to use Cloud storage (which I simply won't do).

Instead I went for an Asus Vivobook s200e c158h running Windows 8 on an Intel Core i3 processor, 4GB RAM and 500GB hard drive. More or less instant on and very fast plus the OS and hardware means I can clone my home laptop for use whilst I am away.

The Chromebooks seemed to me more like tablets with a screen tacked on. As I already had a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0 the Vivobook was a much more apt machine.

OP
OP
Spidermonkey

Spidermonkey

Free Member
May 8, 2012
back in uk for a while
Funster No
MH
sold - none at the moment
Exp
June 2012
A bit of a computer illiterate. What do you mean? by what you just said?:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
My understanding of it is that is a basic cut down laptop running on Google’s own operating system, you use Google Applications (software) and you store your data with Google.

It’s meant to be an internet based product, as far as I know you can’t upgrade it, it has no real hard drive as such.

You will be linked to Google, same as iphone’s you are tied up to Apple. Some people don’t have an issues, I for one would be unhappy if Google had access to and stored everything that I did on my laptop.

It’s cheap and if all you want to do is surf and mail, then I suppose its fine. Just remember that you will be dependent on Google.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A bit of a computer illiterate. What do you mean? by what you just said?:Blush:

My understanding of it is that is a basic cut down laptop running on Google’s own operating system, you use Google Applications (software) and you store your data with Google.

It’s meant to be an internet based product, as far as I know you can’t upgrade it, it has no real hard drive as such.

You will be linked to Google, same as iphone’s you are tied up to Apple. Some people don’t have an issues, I for one would be unhappy if Google had access to and stored everything that I did on my laptop.

It’s cheap and if all you want to do is surf and mail, then I suppose its fine. Just remember that you will be dependent on Google.

Close enough ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back