LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As some of you know I am a lover of quality older motorhomes and spend a considerable amount of my time searching the net both here in the UK and Europe and America looking for these rarities.
So, if it will be of any help to potential first time buyers who are like me on a limited budget I will put on this thread from time to time what I consider a good buy for what is a good van at the right money.
Some of the vans you will see on this post you will never have heard of, but don't be put off by that as one of my main priorities when purchasing a MH for myself is parts availability. Body panels on motorhomes are obsolete when the vehicle is only a few years old, so this will not be taken into consideration, but mechanical parts are of course the main thing to worry about when thinking of an older MH. So any vehicle that appears on this thread will have to have good parts availability.
This is one of my favourites and one to start you off. Its an Orion, built on the Mercedes chassis and of monocoque construction. Link Removed

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
This is another relisted van at a good price
Link Removed
Terry

Terry, this does look like a very good buy, but i cant help wondering why the hell hasnt it sold! I think this is the 3rd listing, have you or any one else any thoughts on why its still for sale!!

The reason i am asking is because later on this year i am going to purchase a different Motor, and am looking at the old Hymers etc as being a potential replacement. I wiil hopefully be in a position to spend a good bit more than this one is priced at. At the moment i am following this thread and soaking up all the advice and information from anywhere and every where. Views and comments, very welcome.:Smile:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
IF this is ligit it's a cracking starter for thr money --could be a scam ???
Link Removed
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry, this does look like a very good buy, but i cant help wondering why the hell hasnt it sold! I think this is the 3rd listing, have you or any one else any thoughts on why its still for sale!!

The reason i am asking is because later on this year i am going to purchase a different Motor, and am looking at the old Hymers etc as being a potential replacement. I wiil hopefully be in a position to spend a good bit more than this one is priced at. At the moment i am following this thread and soaking up all the advice and information from anywhere and every where. Views and comments, very welcome.:Smile:

SAYS sold now :winky:
terry

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
This has been relisted,AUTOMATIC,must be petrol that's putting people off
Link Removed
terry

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Will be doing video walk-around poss tomorrow and put it up on YouTube n post the link on here
FORGOT TO ADD THERE ARE SPARES INCLUDED SPARE WHEEL + SPARE TYRE NEW AIR FILTERS NEW FAN BELT INTERIOR SILVER SCREEN SPLUS MORE ONCE I CAN GET IN MY SHED ! lots of engine parts even a spare engine if anyone got a trailer :Smile:
Have now put up on youtube 3 short vids walk arounds the first one is strange plays ok on pc on Y/T .....well have a look :Eeek:

http://youtu.be/1GBlvYzI9KE

http://youtu.be/pgQO3-RoQco

http://youtu.be/ufciUCArHV8

jr

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I was thinking it looked very good for the money , hope you left a low offer::bigsmile:
Terry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Here is a real gem. One piece fibreglass wrap around roof. A very expensive van when new and a bullet proof engine that's hardly run in. All in a handy size. Link Removed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If I wasn't off to Spain this week I think I would have had a go at the Unikat. If that finishes up at anything below 9000 euros there's profit in it. Those LTs are becoming very desirable, and a good one will hold its money well and looked after will not only give pleasure but will be a better investment than money in the bank. That van comes from a very well respected low volume manufacturer and would have been bespoke built.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Here is a real gem. One piece fibreglass wrap around roof. A very expensive van when new and a bullet proof engine that's hardly run in. All in a handy size. Link Removed

Sure is a ugly dog ::bigsmile: My last LT was a thirsty one as well,and cost a arm and leg for parts :Eeek:I remember buying some suspension bushes that cost ÂŁ50 each that where ÂŁ3 each to fit a tranny at the time :winky:
terry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Sure is a ugly dog ::bigsmile: My last LT was a thirsty one as well,and cost a arm and leg for parts :Eeek:I remember buying some suspension bushes that cost ÂŁ50 each that where ÂŁ3 each to fit a tranny at the time :winky:
terry

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Terry. The last LT I had sold for ÂŁ8500 around 2 years ago. I had em fighting over it at the time. I found "The Brickyard" the best place for parts and advice on those LTs. This one is the turbo diesel, they were not so bad on fuel and plenty of power. The engine was so good Volvo still use it with a few mods.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Terry. The last LT I had sold for ÂŁ8500 around 2 years ago. I had em fighting over it at the time. I found "The Brickyard" the best place for parts and advice on those LTs. This one is the turbo diesel, they were not so bad on fuel and plenty of power. The engine was so good Volvo still use it with a few mods.
And I thought Volvo used Renault engines :Smile:
terry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
And I thought Volvo used Renault engines :Smile:
terry

You thought wrong there. The 6 cylinder was derived from the LT. Many LT owners convert to the Volvo diesel as it now gives more power and better fuel consumption.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks I need educating :winky: after I wrote I thought about it and the Renaults use fiat Sofin engines :Doh:
edit probably the petrol volvos use renaults
terry

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
:Smile: is the fact it only has one door a problem at all :Smile:

I find only having one door an advantage. If scallys are going to break in, its normally the cab doors they go for. The hab door can be made far more secure than cab doors.

Upvote 0

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
I can get out of Left, Right or Back :thumb: