LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As some of you know I am a lover of quality older motorhomes and spend a considerable amount of my time searching the net both here in the UK and Europe and America looking for these rarities.
So, if it will be of any help to potential first time buyers who are like me on a limited budget I will put on this thread from time to time what I consider a good buy for what is a good van at the right money.
Some of the vans you will see on this post you will never have heard of, but don't be put off by that as one of my main priorities when purchasing a MH for myself is parts availability. Body panels on motorhomes are obsolete when the vehicle is only a few years old, so this will not be taken into consideration, but mechanical parts are of course the main thing to worry about when thinking of an older MH. So any vehicle that appears on this thread will have to have good parts availability.
This is one of my favourites and one to start you off. Its an Orion, built on the Mercedes chassis and of monocoque construction. Link Removed

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Thats a pity Frankie. Am sorry I don't know how to help as I think this one could have your name on it.

Hey just got it !! I changed the .co.uk for .fr directly in the box where you have the address then entered again ... and YEAH !!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mikey2341

Free Member
Feb 22, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
There seams some great examples here, thank you to those taking the time to post them up, it helps newbies like me look at lots of options all in the same place. Is the reason the older A class models are recommended here more than the C class models because they are built better?

Thanks

Mikey

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

mikey2341

Free Member
Feb 22, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now they were a very good van, its almost exactly the same layout as my old 660 FFB. That layout is very good indeed with loads of living space and 2 couches for lounging. The furniture is all solid wood and they are winterised properly with everything inside. If that would go at 10K its a bargain, although am a little concerned regarding the fridge as I know they are expensive to replace, from experience. The only fault I have with the FFB is as its so well built, they are HEAVY. But if its anything like the one I had the gearing is long legged and will cruise all day at 70 MPH at low RPM.

How would this cope with going around the alps and pyrenees? Looking for a van to follwo the tour de france in!

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
There seams some great examples here, thank you to those taking the time to post them up, it helps newbies like me look at lots of options all in the same place. Is the reason the older A class models are recommended here more than the C class models because they are built better?

Thanks

Mikey

Hi Mikey not really, just hold there prices better.People also like them for there compact size.The old all fiberglass type bodies are also soughtafter simply because they don't have seams to leak which tends to affect the older coachbuilts (plus some new ones :ROFLMAO:)Quality vans always bring good money and at under 10k they tend not to shed lots of money -hence they reach a bottoming out figure :thumb: and become sought after ::bigsmile:
terry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
How would this cope with going around the alps and pyrenees? Looking for a van to follwo the tour de france in!

Those FFBs were insulated to proper standards, I never used to drain mine down even in winter. All water tanks are inboard as well as all pipework. They were built for the winter skiers, that's why they have a ski locker as opposed to a garage. They have a one piece wrap around fibreglass roof so no problems with damp and are very well built indeed. I cant see any problem with following any sports with one of those, summer or winter.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Do you mean this one Link Removed
very good vans would take you anywhere -well insulated etc---this is the third time listed so make a senseble offer :winky:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I agree with Terry that quality built A class vans though expensive when new do tend to bottom out at around the £8k to £10k mark and that's where they stop as they tend to have less damp problems than coachbuilt and as they were an expensive item when new are generally looked after better than there coachbuilt counterparts. This is obviously a generalisation. Also the A class gives more habitation room in a shorter vehicle as you do not have the original cab/bonnet to contend with. There is also the added advantage of rear wheel drive on the older Mercedes A classes, which if you are camping all year round gives better traction.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Frankia have always been a well built van and that will always be worth 6k if looked after.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Frankie the hymer has been relisted again :winky:
Link Removed

Terry

I don't get what are the needs... I didn't get it all so apart from bathroom which needs finishing ... what else isn't fixed?

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I don't get what are the needs... I didn't get it all so apart from bathroom which needs finishing ... what else isn't fixed?

Hi Frankie, I think it just needs a general tidy up and boiler, heating etc, checking :thumb:
Terry

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Link Removed
Just for JR :winky: may not last as long as some (being on a tranny:winky:) but would certainly be good for a first van :Smile:
terry

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Oi nowt wrong with wiv tranny's
Backbone of Britain thousands of, 'stannies cannot be wrong!

:ROFLMAO: :winky:
They are prone to rotting underneath :winky: hence good for another few yrs, and yours is a good well looked after example at a good price :thumb: which the back /living bit never rots :Smile:
Terry

Upvote 0

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
cruiser

its great. its even older than mine. yes i would buy it. but you are right more photos please.:Eeek:

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Will be doing video walk-around poss tomorrow and put it up on YouTube n post the link on here
FORGOT TO ADD THERE ARE SPARES INCLUDED SPARE WHEEL + SPARE TYRE NEW AIR FILTERS NEW FAN BELT INTERIOR SILVER SCREEN SPLUS MORE ONCE I CAN GET IN MY SHED ! lots of engine parts even a spare engine if anyone got a trailer :Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back