Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
What do I need to look out for regarding controllers, most seem to be 10A, what is recommended, what are MPPT controllers?

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Not solar panels Andy, but I had the very same issue with the Ebay resolution centre, who advised me that on this occasion, they would refund me in full, but would refuse to do so again under the same circumstances, and put a mark against my account to that effect. :whatthe:

There are so many foreign traders on Ebay, portraying themselves as UK traders. :Angry:

Cheers,

Jock.

Not the case with me Jock
This is what they said

We've decided to issue you a courtesy refund for this case on 22 Mar, 2014 to the PayPal account you used to purchase this item. The refund includes the purchase price plus original postage & packaging. Please log into PayPal to get your refund.

AND

Andrew, please be assured that your case has been taken care of and I determined that you do not have to returned the item. Since the location of the item in the listing is United Kingdom but the seller’s return address is in Hongkong. As a courtesy, we would like to take care of this today by issuing you a full refund (for the cost of the item plus shipping). You'll also receive a follow up email about our decision, along with the item and case details for reference.

Last edited:

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Andy, If you navigate Bimbles site, you do not have to buy a complete kit.

I added all my ingredients individually (I actually needed the full Monty apart from a battery) and got a 165W Monocrystaline (by Isofoton, a Spanish company that went bust, using USA components) panel, it has a treated surface to work better should it be cloudy. I am no expert but seems pretty solid and looking at others on Sunstore etc, very similar ! a 20A MPPT controller, with the add on Meter, 12 metres of 6mm solar cable, a pair of Mc 4 connecters, a 7 piece plastic mounting kit. All for less than £250:Smile:

I just needed 2 tubes of Sikkaflex 512 and a can of activator. You talked me into ! I did bolt it down but that was a condition forced onto me because of the roof construction of my van. It ain't going anywhere in a hurry except where I take the van. :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DavidN

Free Member
Mar 7, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I fitted a Chinese 100W panel and MPPT controller to my live-aboard canal boat four years ago. I got them from Midsummer Energy. The kit has performed faultlessly and I would have no hesitation in buying from Midsummer again.

David.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010

I added all my ingredients individually (I actually needed the full Monty apart from a battery) and got a 165W Monocrystaline (by Isofoton, a Spanish company that went bust, using USA components) panel, it has a treated surface to work better should it be cloudy. I am no expert but seems pretty solid and looking at others on Sunstore etc, very similar ! a 20A MPPT controller, with the add on Meter, 12 metres of 6mm solar cable, a pair of Mc 4 connecters, a 7 piece plastic mounting kit. All for less than £250:Smile:

I just needed 2 tubes of Sikkaflex 512 and a can of activator. You talked me into ! I did bolt it down but that was a condition forced onto me because of the roof construction of my van. It ain't going anywhere in a hurry except where I take the van. :roflmto:
Cheers but I've bought from Germany already should arrive next week. I've had panels shipped before and had problems too but always resolved with German sellers. they will collect at their expense if damaged/broken or other complaints.

Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
All from Bimbles?

Moodybrook when you say you bought your components individually
do you mean from different suppliers or as individual components from Bimbles?
The reason I ask is, I am local to Bimbles & if they are good quality I will buy direct from them.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
The reason I ask is, I am local to Bimbles & if they are good quality I will buy direct from them.

I got all the kit from Bimbles apart from the Sikkaflex . What I meant was that I made up my kit by selecting the items to customise my requirements. I had a few queries about various things and I found them prompt and concise with their replies. You will save the delivery costs lucky sod ! :roflmto:

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
Bimble

I got all the kit from Bimbles apart from the Sikkaflex . What I meant was that I made up my kit by selecting the items to customise my requirements. I had a few queries about various things and I found them prompt and concise with their replies. You will save the delivery costs lucky sod ! :roflmto:

Watch the size of the 165W panel it is a big one.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2013
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Moodybrook thanks

Moodybrook thanks for letting me know, I guess I will measure up on the MH roof & start planning.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
Solar Panel

Broken Link Removed

That is what I ended up with.

Attachments

• DSC_3761.jpg
    DSC_3761.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 108

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
More phots of what I did

Broken Link Removed

To Explain.

The 20A MPPT controller, I have also added to the controller a Meter which tells me what is going on (in a fashion). The extra battery added (under the yellow cover, I have two matched 110 AHC supposedly deep cycle babies, time will tell !). Two thick cables joining up that battery with the existing one in Parallel. To the left of the Controller is a 20A mcb circuit breaker instead of a fuse and that cable from the controller goes to charge up the Leisure batts. The red 10mm cable that disappears off to the left is the cable that connects to my vehicle battery to let the Solar, or the EHU, charge up my Vehicle battery, in essence making the two Leisure batts and the Veh batt one big batt. Near the Vehicle battery is another 12V 20A mcb circuit breaker in case I forget to open/break the circuit to the Leisure Batteries and I wind up the engine. I am led to believe that when you start up the engine all sorts of hell lets loose blowing batteries and wrecking the economy of the world. So the MCB(It could be a sacrificial fuse) should save the planet ?? I went with MCB's as I thought they would be easy to spot that something cataclysmic had happened and if I sussed it out, they are easy to reset, press button.

Attachments

• DSC_3765.jpg
    DSC_3765.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 94
OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
German ebay solars just arrived and very well packaged. final delivery by DPD on this side.
I'll unpack and give a verdict

Broken Link Removed

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have a solar panel company near me and was thinking of just fitting one of there units to the roof of my van can it be done ?

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Both panels have damage so back to the drawing board! ebay resolution again :Doh:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Both panels have damage so back to the drawing board! ebay resolution again :Doh:
Jeeze Andy, you're going to loose all your hair at this rate - are they that much cheaper than the ones from Sunstore etc? (Based in UK).

The quality of theirs is superb - not too sure if they are that much more expensive than the ones from ebay.

There was something in the news last night that mentioned UK is now the 'official dumping ground' for Chinese solar panels.
:Angry:

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Are these the ones you get from Germany? :whatthe:

I couldn't be doing with all the hassle Andy. :cry:

I hope you manage to get it all resolved to your satisfaction.

Cheers,

Jock.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
They do look good Martin but I notice both 80 & 100 are out of stock.
However Addie has sent me a link to some from Germany and they do look excellent. So next time I'm home for a week I'll have some delivered.

I have had a few from Germany.. always top notch !

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Bugger.. bet they were not MADE in Germany then ....

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
The packaging looks a bit flimsy, you'd think it would be in a stronger cardboard box?

Did you say earlier that this company "any problems we'll collect and pay all the costs" hopefully they stick to it :winky:

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No I said German sellers I've used in the past. I will have to wait and see how this one deals with it.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Seller has requested photos to their email address and now confirmed receipt and that they are contacting the couriers

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Latest info is they are still negotiating with DPD but I think they're sending me replacements. I have asked that they protect the corners better.

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Update
They lead me to believe that a replacement was dispatched on the 2nd of April, by the 8th I felt they should be here so I asked again? they said yes we sent out some more. I then asked for the tracking number.
This morning they sent the tracking number and surprise! only posted yesterday the 10th
German efficiency :ROFLMAO: NOT

Tmesis

Free Member
Mar 28, 2013
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
4 years
Can you post their contact details please? I'm looking for a pair of 100w mono panels and the supplier I previously used doesn't have any.

Thanks

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The replacement panels just arrived and mercifully not damaged this time.
I bought from here on "Addie"'s recommendation and I will put them in grade A with the reservation that the connecting tails are only 2.5mm.
Since buying the price has gone UP massively, this may be the seasonal effect.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350726354084?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I wont be buying more from here as it is too drawn out and stressful :roflmto:

No mention has been made about recovering the damaged panels

Panel label
CA_04161408155203-M.jpg

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I wonder whether this might be a copycat brand panel? The label says Solartronics LEIPIG - Germany. Having searched for Solartronics, they are based at LEIPZIG. I would have thought it unlikely that such a well-known city would have been misspelled?

Here are their contact details:
solartronics, Inhaber Jörg Windolf
Angerstrasse 40-42
04177 Leipzig

per Fax: +49 (0)341 - 870 8599 4
oder per E-Mail: vertrieb@solar-tronics.de

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.