LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
OS is to update their mapping on 200,000 miles of road to include width, weight, height restrictions as well as left/right turning restrictions at junctions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37703556

To be made available to all SatNav companies [for a charge, possibly 1p/device] so this would be good news for Funsters - if the data is comprehensive enough & the SatNav providers adopt it.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's to be hoped that the sat nav companies do pay to use the database. However, it is only something they should have been including in their own mapping products anyway, especially those which are supposed to enable accurate large vehicle routing.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
OS is to update their mapping on 200,000 miles of road to include width, weight, height restrictions as well as left/right turning restrictions at junctions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37703556

To be made available to all SatNav companies [for a charge, possibly 1p/device] so this would be good news for Funsters - if the data is comprehensive enough & the SatNav providers adopt it.
That would only be useful (and it is) if your sat nav has facilities to put the weight/height/width/length etc. If sat nav doesn't have these options built in then OS is no use.
My Garmin 660LMT Camper does and others that have that facility already have it.
Fingers crossed, it's not put me wrong (yet) and I use it everyday in the truck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That would only be useful (and it is) if your sat nav has facilities to put the weight/height/width/length etc. If sat nav doesn't have these options built in then OS is no use.
My Garmin 660LMT Camper does and others that have that facility already have it.
Fingers crossed, it's not put me wrong (yet) and I use it everyday in the truck.
That's fine as long as the sat nav companies have built the same data into their mapping already, which isn't always the case.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
As others have mentioned, most good Sat Navs already have much of that information. I'd be appalled if any didn't have left/right turning restrictions! There used to be about x4 map providers that companies could choose from when setting up their apps / devices although the iOS one was so bad and got in the press for the wrong reasons so often that they were talking of scrapping it and using someone else's maps. Not sure what the latest is on that.

Just had a look at the photo's on the BEEB ROFL it's not as though the low bridges were keeping it secret ... were the drivers asleep at the wheel or on the phone?!

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The quality of a good SatNav depends on its routing data and the software that uses it. I’ve used a good many and many have not been good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
As others have mentioned, most good Sat Navs already have much of that information. I'd be appalled if any didn't have left/right turning restrictions! There used to be about x4 map providers that companies could choose from when setting up their apps / devices although the iOS one was so bad and got in the press for the wrong reasons so often that they were talking of scrapping it and using someone else's maps. Not sure what the latest is on that.

Just had a look at the photo's on the BEEB ROFL it's not as though the low bridges were keeping it secret ... were the drivers asleep at the wheel or on the phone?!

I think you will find that IOS is now much improved and that the new OS database is far more detailed than anything available previously. True some sat navs have some information on road widths, restrictions etc but the new OS mapping appears to be much more advanced.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I think you will find that IOS is now much improved and that the new OS database is far more detailed than anything available previously. True some sat navs have some information on road widths, restrictions etc but the new OS mapping appears to be much more advanced.

Cool - good to hear, variety being the spice of (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back