Good old NHS

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by New Dawn, Oct 8, 2014.

1. New Dawn

New Dawn Funster

Say what they like. I can't praise the NHS enough. I was taken in to our local hospital under blue lights at 3-30 in the morning having suffered a heart attack. From the moment we arrived it was a sea of doctors & nurses. All played their part in stabilising & reassuring me. Having spent the best part of the morning in A&E, they transferred me to the coronary ward. Later in the evening a sister noticed I was not looking good. Straight away another doctor arrived, just as I was having a second major heart attack. Their quick response & actions without a doubt saved my life. Later, all I could think & ask about was. ("How long before I can drive the motorhome") You can imagine the answers !!!!! The NHS is a fantastic institution, which should get all the funding it needs. But, at the same time there a lot of questions to be asked & answered on who & how people are treated. Mainly the holiday patients. Who fly in just to be treated. Then fly out without paying a dime, never to be seen again. Ok, I'm having a moan !!!!! Will be back to normal when I get back in the driving seat & out there.

• Like Like x 30
  2. steevie

steevie Funster

I cant believe how good they are either, but how some people moan about their hospital treatment. I have been in and out of hospital quite a few times the last few years, and cant praise them enough. I even like the food. I have been in the next bed to some really rude people, who moaned about everything, and some that wouldnt touch hospital food. My only complaint is about them waking you at six in the morning....thats middle of the night to me.:)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
  3. dabhand

dabhand Funster Life Member

A new dawn for New Dawn, pleased your ok, get well soon and travel on! Our NHS is not perfect but still precious.

• Like Like x 6
  4. cliffandger

cliffandger Funster Life Member

Same as what Dabhand said x 2!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Pleased you are still here and getting such good treatment New Dawn.

I've been in and out of hospital over the past 3 years and over all have found the NHS in Scotland and England to be very good although some hospitals are better than others. I have always had the best treatment in big teaching hospitals and the poorest in a small local hospital mostly staffed by locum doctors called in as and when deemed necessary and (it appears to me at least) run by the nursing staff who decided who should be treated and when. I once waited three days for medication the doctor said was urgent there!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. jezport

jezport Funster

Just sat waiting to go in for a hernia op at St James hospital leeds at the moment

• Like Like x 1
  7. Baycott

Baycott Funster

Glad you are on the mend Newdawn (y)
    I have no complaints either. I have always been treated quickly and, thankfully, with good results. :smiley:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Derby Royal Infirmary.. Long been closed,however whenever i woke up or walked in to this place of healing i allways thought i had a 99.9% chance of seeing the dawn.
    Go NHS GO!! Top service

• Like Like x 2
  9. big bertha

big bertha Funster

Glad your ok New Dawn, (y) I have nothing but praise for the NHS staff at my oncology clinic.(y)

• Like Like x 3
  10. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

Hi

I thank goodness the NHS is there when we need it. I had heart surgery at Papworth in March, where they did a fantastic job - these people are geniuses!

With any organisation the size of the NHS things are bound to go wrong sometimes. Its the world's 5th largest empoyer with 1.7 million workers according to Wikipedia.

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  11. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

Pleased to read you are on the mend,New Dawn.

Over the past week I have been laid up with a back/neck issue which has been very painful and completely knocked me over.
    I've had 2 GP appointments, one last Thusday was 1 hour after my call to the surgery, the second was Monday evening at 5.30 again about an hour after I called.
    The pain relief prescribed is now working and I am starting to feel a bit better.
    The service and treatment received was first class and much appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
  12. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

I have had some wonderful treatment in hospitals I have also been on the receiving end of less than satisfactory treatment, once your confidence in a consultant has gone its hard to trust any of them again. I would not be here now but for the NHS

• Like Like x 2
  13. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Good luck

14. dryad

dryad Funster

the nhs in an emergency is excellent 99% of the time, as others have said i too wouldn't be here had it not been for the wonderful doctors and nurses in a&e in the past..
    where it does badly fall down now, being over stretched as it is, is when a condition or illness is not regarded as life threatening, personally speaking i have only just got an appointment through for a ct scan next week after having to cope with excruciating kidney stones since the beginning of july before they can start whatever treatment is necessary, i've got to be honest and say that the last few months haven't been a barrel of laughs and there have been many days when the smile has been totally wiped off my face when i'd planned to be at meets, but there have been some lovely members here who have kept me feeling positive, you know who you are and the words "thank you" can never properly convey my heartfelt appreciation..

wishing you a very swift and full recovery new dawn and hopefully it won't be long before you're out and about driving and enjoying your motorhome once again..

15. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

GJH had treatment for a hernia.
    He got it opening his wallet.:rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  16. cakey

cakey Funster

Had detached retina confirmed 10.30am, operated 1.30pm same day. Nottingham Queens med, BRILLIANT.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I agree. My wife has had excruciating back pain for over 3 weeks now............ last week after having to wait 2 days for a GP appointment she was then referred to A&E.................. so this meant 4 hours in hospital then only to be told she will have to wait for the Ortho to check the results of an X-ray.............. at this point we said we will go home and they said to telephone later for result.......

Result was OK but referred for MRI scan by end of the week.............. now Thursday but nothing heard:(

I think we are fortunate to have the NHS but the fact is that it is OVER stressed and UNDER funded/staffed.

Now before the flak comes my way............ I have spent 7 years as an Air Ambulance pilot.......... my wife is a (ex) Midwife and my son is an Anaesthetist so I have a reasonable idea of what goes on.

I'm just saying the NHS is not 'all that'. It's good, but not good enough.

Oh, and get well soon New Dawn.........despite what I have said you ARE in safe hands(y)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Tkly

Tkly Funster

Dawn get well soon I know how you feel about driving! I am at last allowed to drive after an unsuccessful heart op last Thursday looking forward to getting out of these four walls and not having to rely on family for shopping :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. New Dawn

New Dawn Funster

Thanks to everyone for your kind thoughts. The forum is a great place to share thoughts & aspirations. I would agree with "chockswahay". The NHS is underfunded/staffed. But the dedication of doctors & nurses is to be applauded. I watched many patients flown in by helicopter. The HEMS is another crucial part of that dedicated team. That golden hour (as called) is vital to saving lives. Each "so called government" states every election time that the NHS is their priority, or "safe in their hands" Yet is proven to be the opposite every time. I wonder what UKIPS policy would be ?? OOPs Don't answer that !!!! Thanks again For your kind thoughts

20. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

As it happens I flew the 'aeroplane' ambulance for the Scottish NHS. All of the HEMS helicopters are privately funded charity aircraft. Either way you are correct and the 'golden hour' is crucial (particularly if you live in far away places).

I generally stay out of politics but I must confess I do wonder if any government could make it work any better:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3