Good news if you are approaching 70yrs old (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
This might not be 100% correct but if you don't wear glasses it's up to you to go for an eye test but if you do wear glasses you need an eye test every 2 years if you miss or don't bother for years your van insurance could be void if you have a bump, can anyone confirm this.

Regards

Bill

On your driving licence where the list of categories you can drive is listed, after the dates to and from, there is a section to list restrictions on a particular category.
If it has 01 listed, then that means that you can drive that category with "eyesight correction".
In other words, if you require glasses/contact lenses or whatever, you must wear them when driving.
If you are not wearing them you are committing a licencing offence.
Whether this invalidates your insurance or not I don't know, but it is highly likely, in the event of a claim, that the insurance company would use it against you.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-codes

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
And the alternative is?

To have increased the funding in line with anticipated liabilities YEARS ago, just like any GOOD provider would (should) have done.

Governments have been urging people to save for their retirement for 50 years

That may have been true, however most of the population where relying on the fact that their N-I contribution WAS (at least in part to fund) their pension!

Consider, also, that the best resourced career pension funds are the contributory ones that the "bureaucrats" of local government and the like paid for.

As was my own contributory pension, we paid some, the company paid some (and got the tax breaks). BUT at the expense of reduced Salaries, I know because it was quoted to us at many a "negotiation" Eg;- "yes but your pension contributions are part of remuneration".

Pete

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
To have increased the funding in line with anticipated liabilities YEARS ago, just like any GOOD provider would (should) have done.
That would have meant increasing taxation in the past. No different to trying to force savings as posted.
That may have been true, however most of the population where relying on the fact that their N-I contribution WAS (at least in part to fund) their pension!
And so it was. State pensions are funded from taxation, of which NI is (in reality) part. Anyone who was silly enough to kid themselves that the state pension
As was my own contributory pension, we paid some, the company paid some (and got the tax breaks). BUT at the expense of reduced Salaries, I know because it was quoted to us at many a "negotiation" Eg;- "yes but your pension contributions are part of remuneration".
The difference with the public sector pension schemes I mentioned is that the money was invested properly so there isn't the black hole that so many companies face.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
The black hole in unfunded public sector pensions, ie to be paid for by our kids, now stands at £1.3 trillion. Lets put it in the pension protection scheme , like private sector schemes that go bust, max payment £30k per annum and 10% reduction to remainder. Is a retired / suspended Chief Constable or fire chief really worth £100k per annum.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Parts of the NHS are being privatised ,they have farmed out the maintenance of the buildings to contractors ,I wonder how much money the maintenance guys were costing the NHS as the old guard have TUPE over to us and about 90per cent are useless ,they were on 30 per cent pension contributions, the waste is incredible .

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The black hole in unfunded public sector pensions, ie to be paid for by our kids, now stands at £1.3 trillion. Lets put it in the pension protection scheme , like private sector schemes that go bust, max payment £30k per annum and 10% reduction to remainder. Is a retired / suspended Chief Constable or fire chief really worth £100k per annum.
No!

But I don't think many have a salary that high, never mind a pension, if you exclude the Metropolitan area.

I certainly don't, or am I being short changed?

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Are u a retired chief constable or fire chief?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
And I'll bet you are glad to be out of it now, ie, away from all the politics and pressure that caused the decimation of the Fire Service, as we knew it :( ...............but that's a whooooooole different thread, eh? ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
And I'll bet you are glad to be out of it now, ie, away from all the politics and pressure that caused the decimation of the Fire Service, as we knew it :( ...............but that's a whooooooole different thread, eh? ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Too bloody true.

It was the politics, and the virtual impossibility of doing such a job within the edicts of 'elf an' safety' that were the final straws.:mad:

But retirement is the best job I have ever had!:)(y):cheers:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back