Good news for motorcaravaners

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by novawight, Mar 28, 2011.

1. novawight

novawight Read Only Funster

Tonight in the Porsmouth News ,it is stated the council are to introduce overnight Motorhome Parking in West Beach Car Park, charges will be £15 per night for March, April, May Sept, Oct, it will be £20 per night for June , July, and August, they have not stated what facilitys there will be, they have also scraped the proposal to charge for the disabled,:Smile:

2. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

At those prices ...no thanks. :Sad:

3. novawight

novawight Read Only Funster

Yes I agree, prices to high,

4. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Is the head of the council called Robin B"stard

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

That's extortionate..

however.. just noticed today, our local Tesco store have put up new notices...if you stay longer than 3 hours you agree to pay £70 .. that won't go down well with the 'free-[STRIKE]loaders[/STRIKE] campers.. :Laughing:

6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Guilty as charged. We have quite a few nights in Tesco car parks, :Blush: normally pulling in around midnight and leaving before 6am Infact We kipped at a Tescos last Wednesday night:Smile: Its not as popular as Walmart in the US I never seen another motorhome parked up at the same time. Never had an incident or been asked to move. Never seen any signs forbidding it, but always assumed I was being cheeky and breaking the rules :Smile:

7. champers

champers Funster Life Member

I had received a letter from Tesco slapping my wrists stating i had exceeded the permitted parking time admittedly it was during the day but I had been genuinely in the store the whole time, I have never visited that branch again - the cctv of your reg no must give them all the info they need to collar ya

8. staging lady

staging lady Funster

I suppose you are paying for the view of the sea?

It seems very expensive for a car park . They would need to put in EHU, water and waste disposal but even then it wouldn't match up to a CL.

Good initiative but the price needs to be the same as an overnight stay on the motorway.
    Lucille

9. harryoxford2

harryoxford2 Read Only Funster

It shouldnt be possible for them to get your details as the data protection act keeps your details safe at DVLA....hmm either the car park is council owned and they can access your in fo or a breach of the data P Act is committed....myself I would be inclined to write back with an appology for the overstay, but include how they sourced your information, as you wish to check a breach of the data protection act has not been committed.

Lets hope they are fully stocked up with loo roll as they are gonna need it if the breach isnt lawful.

A good place to start is at the parking sign at Tesco..if its council land it will say so. If not then that means a private company accessed your details.

10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

better than cctv.. they have number plate recognition cameras, if you stay and don't pay they send a bill... whether you pay or not is another matter ..

see attached

Attached Files:

11. rob kinnear

rob kinnear Read Only Funster

I have emailed Portsmouth parking and said thanks but no thanks and have asked them to pass on my comments to councillor Dick Turpin.

Rob

12. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

and if you do get a bill have a look here http://www.pepipoo.com/
    on the forums about not paying:BigGrin:

13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Totally wrong, sorry. There is no breach of the Data Protection Act. The DVLA explain Here the various circumstances in which personal data may be quite legally released. A request from Tesco when somebody has stayed longer than permitted is one of those circumstances.

About 3 and a half years ago a user of my web site contacted me to say:
    I have no idea whether this arrangement is still in place but as it does involve asking the manager then anyone seeking to do so would find out up front.

14. buttons

buttons Funster

The decision to scrap the charge for disabled parking was more to do with cost than compassion by the council... see link. £170K alone to make the machines compliant.
    They have also banned motor home parking in all other Portsmouth car parks between 10pm and 8am so maybe not such a good deal. .Pay £15-£20 or don’t park in Portsmouth.:cry:
    http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/lo...disabled_people_to_park_is_scrapped_1_2541399

15. UKMotorhomes

UKMotorhomes Read Only Funster

I have checked the reported details with Havant Borough Council.

The proposal is for permitted overnight parking for motorhomes at the West Beach Car Park, Hayling Island.

An overnight (10pm to 8am) parking charge to be introduced for motorhomes in West Beach Car Park. The charges are to be £8 a night from September to May inclusive and £10 a night from June to August inclusive. It is proposed to provide a chemical waste disposal unit and fresh water tap by the adjacent toilet block. I understand that the decision has still to be ratified and will then be advertised for public comment. The council hopes to have it in place by July.

Andy

16. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Do you know if this applies to the Car Park near the golf clubhouse, or the one further up near the foot ferry?

17. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

before people get too carried away emailing Portsmouth city council it should be noted the article refers to Hayling Island, not Portsmouth and is governed by Havant Council. The other car parks refered to are Hayling Island seafront carparks. The proposed charges seem to be in doubt as two lots of figures have been quoted.

18. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Thanks - that certainly wasn't made clear in the original post. I notice that the OP lives on Hayling Island, so it probably made sense to him at the time.......:BigGrin:

19. UKMotorhomes

I understand that West Beach Car Park is the one by the Golf Club.

Andy

20. UKMotorhomes

The charges I gave were direct from the Borough Council. I think they refer to the overnight fee only. Possibly the news report added the daytime fee to the overnight fee.

Andy