Good news Bad news (1 Viewer)

Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Due to pick up motorhome on the 1st of march, Good news is we are going the day before and staying the night in it. Bad news is, when I paid the deposit back in October, there was a small crack in one of the windows (over tightened screw) which he said would be replaced. I called yesterday only to find he's still waiting for the window to be delivered from France. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mickey.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Definitely do not pay the balance until the job is done even if that means delaying pick up. A tough one but there are so many "what ifs" like:
Pick it up and wait forever.
Pick it up, take it back sometime later then find it's the wrong window.
Pick it up, take it back sometime and they do a crap job fitting it.
......and so it continues.

Don't pay the balance until you are completely satisfied.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
I had exact same thing.
1 cm crack in window where a screw goes through. I noticed on walk around on pick up day. I am of the opinion that its not an imminent major problem as the crack is on the inner skin of the window. We agreed I would keep my eye on it and it would be changed at the first hab check or bring it in prior if I noticed any change, which I havent.

They have it noted on the system but two or three weeks before my hab check I will remind them to have a window ready !

I just re-read your post. You still have a few days yet so hopefully it will arrive in time (y)

Last edited:

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89Âş North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
If they have had from October to get a window there is a high chance that said window is not going to appear either because they are trying it on or worse that they are not available. If you must pick it up ask to keep a final payment to be payed when window replaced or ask for money off and take it as is.

OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Thanks for your replies, I don't really want to refuse it at this moment, but it does make you wonder, If he ordered a new window 4 months ago, what if I need another part?.

Mickey.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for your replies, I don't really want to refuse it at this moment, but it does make you wonder, If he ordered a new window 4 months ago, what if I need another part?.

Mickey.
Ask them to email you a copy of the original order.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Mickey.

The down side of owning non UK manufactured equipment even if it is made by our "Friends" in the EU. Having said that there are horror stories about UK suppliers too!!. I could get parts for a 20year old American R-V, from the USA quicker than people here could get them from Swift!:( (other manufacturers are available:D).

I would concur that, should the defect have not been rectified, a balance of payment should be withheld, or the unit rejected, if the seller does not agree to that. As the unit is then "not fit for purpose" even though the defect is largely cosmetic. Negotiation with the seller is key here. YOU are holding the money, He is left with an unsaleable vehicle. You are entitled to a refund of your deposit and any cost of recovery if it where refused. (sale of goods act).

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Mickey.
If they were to tell you the truth you might find that they didn't order the window till you reminded them about it and then they won't want to pay a special delivery so will be waiting for the weekly spares truck or however it works.

I assume it's a new van so the spare should be available, if you trust the dealer and he comes clean with the true story you could let him fit it at a later date, withholding a few grand would give him an incentive to get the part.

Martin

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
I wonder how many here that say they would reject it over a minor issue would actually go through with the threat.

Totally understand if its a safety issue or something that doesnt work but a minor issue like this doesn't need to cause so much headache :) Stand back, take a breath, come to an agreement with the dealer.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If the dealer has another new model with the same window he could easily swap it ... we've had this done on previous MHs when parts didn't arrive in time ... obviously it makes extra work for them but in the circumstances I don't think that's unreasonable after all they've had your money since October! If they won't/can't then keep back ÂŁ1,000 until they get the window and fit it to your satisfaction so long as they also agree to pay your fuel etc costs, or give you a free habitation check as recompense as it certainly shouldn't be you that has to foot the bill for their failing.

It wouldn't make me feel like rejecting it but is very disappointing that they've not got it sorted.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I wonder how many here that say they would reject it over a minor issue would actually go through with the threat.

Totally understand if its a safety issue or something that doesnt work but a minor issue like this doesn't need to cause so much headache :) Stand back, take a breath, come to an agreement with the dealer.
A written agreement with timeline and penalties if not fulfilled. Also must be signed off at the highest level.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If it is a new van there shouldn't be any problem getting the window. If S/H part may not be avalible but easy to get one made in the UK by EECC.
Along as its not leaking don't let it spoil your day.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
If you/ they have been waiting 4 months for a new window there is no way I would give them any more money until the new window is in, if you pay up you don't have a lever to get the job done & could find yourselves with a cracked window still next year!

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
The dealership will be wanting the handover before the end of the month to bump their figures for march. Tell them no balance until job done, I bet that will get their finger out.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If the dealer has another new model with the same window he could easily swap it ... we've had this done on previous MHs when parts didn't arrive in time ... obviously it makes extra work for them but in the circumstances I don't think that's unreasonable after all they've had your money since October! If they won't/can't then keep back ÂŁ1,000 until they get the window and fit it to your satisfaction so long as they also agree to pay your fuel etc costs, or give you a free habitation check as recompense as it certainly shouldn't be you that has to foot the bill for their failing.

It wouldn't make me feel like rejecting it but is very disappointing that they've not got it sorted.

What Minxy said , except I wouldn't accept future 'work for free' as I'd assume it wouldn't be done.
"it is not that you have lied to me but that I no longer have trust in you ". Is how I'd be looking at it.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Almost 5 months to get a window from France! :rofl: Do me a favour! What sort of service is that? And should you need another part? I would be having stern words with the seller, and withholding some of the final payment, or, refusing to accept it, period.

Craig

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What Minxy said , except I wouldn't accept future 'work for free' as I'd assume it wouldn't be done.
"it is not that you have lied to me but that I no longer have trust in you ". Is how I'd be looking at it.
We've actually had free servicing and hab check due to issues and it was definitely done as they found a fault with the fridge at the time and had to replace it ... depends on the dealer.

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
20170223_081532.jpg

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Having worked in a dealership it is common to rob parts from another van in stock. Changing a window is a 30 minute job so if it was me I would be highly sceptical of the dealer fulfilling any promises.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
its a small crack on the window, pick it up use it take it back to replace if they haven't sorted it on collection, save the anger for the big issues (y)

It sounds like the sort of thing that might even have been missed till you used it first time out, I would treat it the same as that (y)

but we are all different, I wouldn't have waited 6 months to take possession, is that just to get the new registration plate?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

A caveat to this:- As someone who tried to remove the rear window from a Rapido. And damn nearly wrecked it!. I would not be surprised to find that part of the issue is the fact that removing a window is almost certain to damage it and possibly the surround. The dealership will more than likely be aware of this fact, hence some reluctance on their parts to so do. As I said earlier negotiation is key.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Get the dealer to show you proof it was ordered, then hold back enough cash to cover the repair.
To determine the amount phone another dealer for a quote.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
As per previous ppl have said. They didnt order the part in October, they may have ordered it when you reminded them. They know this, you know this and we know this.
Give them a ring, tell them you have sought advice reference this and you really are torn as to what is the best thing to do. Ask them what they propose to do with your 50/60 grand investment when they have had 5 months to fix it. see what they come up with.
Also whilst on the phone ask them for the delivery tracker so you can work out whether it is worth your while turning up or not.
Give them the idea of changing the window from a different van.
Then say, I ll write you an email covering the salient points of our conversation.

Having waited for the van it must be extremely disappointing to perhaps have to wait even longer. Get it sorted before you attend and the phrase about not turning up because it is not fit for purpose should put their house in order

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
The large front windscreen on our 15y old Aclass Rapido went "ping" when a stone hit it: a long crack from top to bottom. I was told that, as it was laminated, it was safe to drive. From crack to replacement took approx 2 weeks, including a couple of phone calls from the guys who sourced the window to ensure it was the correct model. Cost to me was ÂŁ75 excess: what the insurance company paid can be left to the imagination.

There should be no reason for your long delay in my opinion - Gordon

OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
its a small crack on the window, pick it up use it take it back to replace if they haven't sorted it on collection, save the anger for the big issues (y)

It sounds like the sort of thing that might even have been missed till you used it first time out, I would treat it the same as that (y)

but we are all different, I wouldn't have waited 6 months to take possession, is that just to get the new registration plate?
No, it was because I was in Thailand, came back early to pick it up.

Mickey.

OP
OP
Mickey1
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Thank you all for your advice , I've just come off the phone to the dealer and unfortunately he doesn't really want to know. I asked him if I could withhold some of the balance until it's fixed but he said he's not prepared to to that. He just keeps saying it's only a little crack, I told him I'm paying ÂŁ57000 and I don't want a little crack in a brand new motorhome. All he said was, well it's up to you, I suppose my only other choice is to wait until it's done. Annoyingly, my wife's booked 2 days off work and I changed my flight to come back early from Thailand.

Mickey.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I can see it will seem very frustrating, but at least it is usable, not knowing just how obvious this crack is, it will probably only ever be you who knows, well and a few of us on here as well I guess :)(y)

hope that is the only problem you have (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back