Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi Alan, you have chosen well, it's almost identical layout to the 51 linerclass or yachting I was going for, purely for the Garage dimensions and my new Motorcycle.

I'm really chuffed for you and pleased that Dean has come good, quality dealers selling quality goods usually come good.

See you out there I hope.......Griff

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Glad it is all sorted to your satisfaction, looks like a great van. (y)

But shame that CamperUK handled the order mix up the way they did hopefully they will have learned from their mistake.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Although I was originally upset when I heard about the miss build I would now heartily recommend speaking to CamperUK when you are thinking of ordering. I should have waited until things had been fully discussed before spouting on an open forum. I need to learn not to react so quickly without speaking to someone with the power to make real decisions.
Allan

Glad to hear you are happy.

I would say I don't think you did anything wrong "spouting" on the forum - isn't that what it is for? Hopefully the posts gave you perspective and options to discuss as well as confidence from recommendations to let the dealer try to sort things.

Jen

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
"Spouting" on the forum can be very helpful in clarifying what you need to do, it is often when we are stressed, confused, disappointed and yes, angry. Don't feel guilty , they were in the wrong , your spouting helped you to make the right decision and you have a van you want plus they have your sale and handled it well in the end. Whilst we can moan to family and friends, unless they own motorhomes they don't really understand.

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Surprised that this nonsense is from CamperUk from whom we have had excellent service in the past.

IMO it is not fit for the purpose for which you ordered it.
Cancel, money back on any deposit and you would probably be justified in seeking some form of compensation from them.

Apr 30, 2012
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Exec
Exp
Since 2012
Allan,
Congratulations, a tortuous route (aren't they all!) but the result is you are the proud owner of a beautiful integrated van. Hope you enjoy many miles of fun, and that we see you on the road soon.
All the best.
Terran

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Really glad it worked out, but alas not an isolated incident. We waited 6 months for our new and 1st motorhome, of which I was exceedingly explicit regarding specification (not from camper uk)
When we turned up to collect, all excited, it was us that noticed it wasnt the one that was ordered - bit glaring - no leather and no step! We had a lot of extras dealer fitted, and I think they had attached them all to the wrong one and hoped we wouldnt notice, as the one with the right spec was for sale at a different branch. It did eventually get sorted out, all seats changed, step installed, collected and delivered back, fuel paid and compensation. Not an experience I would like to repeat, but a lesson indeed.
I do hope you enjoy and love your new m/h as much as we do and can put it behind you

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just looked at stock on site...and quite honestly dont see how that can justify charging such a staggering premium for RHD! It's unbelievable!lol

Not as if the vans are "handed". door still on wrong side? All they do is bolt on a rhd cab!:Eeek:

These prices and still get order wrong? :whistle:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Pleased you got it sorted, but if I was in the same boat I would have taken my deposit back, brought a van in Germany and put 10 grand back in my pocket.:)

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
Got a phone call this afternoon from the Sales Manager at CamperUK. I ordered an A Class from them in February with a mid May delivery. The mid May slipped to near the end of June so I was expecting a call to say it was nearly ready.

He said he had good news and bad news. The good news, it's on it's way and should be ready in around a week or so. The bad news, it wasn't what I ordered. The main difference was an automatic instead of manual and a 3500kg chassis instead of the 4250kg I had ordered. He said I could have it for the same price as originally agreed. To say Im stunned is an understatement. The automatic (which I don't want but could live with) is around £1600 but the heavy chassis (which I really want) was somewhere between £1100 and £1800. I can't remember the exact breakdown. So essentially he's offering a different vehicle to what I ordered with effectively no compensation.

He has offered to get it plated at 3800kg but I'm still not pleased. I want to carry a motorbike of around 200kg in the garage which has a limit of 350kg. I don't want to have to worry about axle weight so I went for the heavy chassis. Now I need to decide if I can live with 3800kg and how much compensation I should insist on or cancel and start again with an other dealer. It's really taken the edge off my day.

Time to open a bottle of red and fire up Google to see if any other Carthage dealer has one.

Allan

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I have held CamperUK in high esteem since buying from them and was alarmed that things were looking bad.
A lovely looking van you have wisely chosen, for second best would always have been second best.
I still wonder where the bespoke van went to, for I doubt that CamperUK would have any control once they had placed the order and time for delivery was becoming an issue. It does look more like Carthago's customer relations are not up to much but thank goodness, you do not have to deal with them.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Tell them to keep it,we had a 3500kg chassis on first MH 2007, the MH we have now is the 4250kg and the ride the stability seem a lot better,also as some says above you will always be thinking what if we had waited for the MH spec we had ordered,they may offer compensation, but will it make up for it.

OP
OP
awg

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Norm,

I might have had a few issues but they were sorted quickly and I was very happy with the solutions offered. I'd be happy to use CamperUK again. Comments on pricing are probably valid but not specific to CamperUK, more a "buy in the UK issue".

Allan

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Enjoy your new Carthago.
Ours is just 3 months old and we are really pleased with it. The fit and finish is first class as one should expect at the price.
Not sure if your replacement is an automatic or manual but I have been really chuffed with the auto. In the past I always thought I preferred manual but now wouldn't go back......those multiple French roundabouts now don't seem such a bind. :)
Have fun.

Richard.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Enjoy your new Carthago.
Ours is just 3 months old and we are really pleased with it. The fit and finish is first class as one should expect at the price.
Not sure if your replacement is an automatic or manual but I have been really chuffed with the auto. In the past I always thought I preferred manual but now wouldn't go back......those multiple French roundabouts now don't seem such a bind. :)
Have fun.

Richard.

What model did you buy Richard. Im restricted to 3500 and concerned re payload so going for the smallest A class,
the i138. ( I think :))

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
What model did you buy Richard. Im restricted to 3500 and concerned re payload so going for the smallest A class,
the i138. ( I think :))

We bought a Chic C-Line 5.0 on the Maxi chassis. With an upgrade it is rated at 4500kg.
Carthago seem to be quite light for the size, due I presume to the aluminium construction.
We constantly read about vans being much heavier than the makers figures and pay loads being severely compromised, so I wanted to make sure we had plenty of space and payload to stock up the wine and beer when coming home.
After we had placed the order I did a 'back of a fag packet' calculation of what I thought the weight should be when delivered, taking all the extras and goodies (auto box, awning, solar etc) into account. My estimate was 3507kg in running order. When I weighed ours soon after purchase it was 3460kg, once I deducted estimates of the few bits and pieces that we had loaded.
I was quite pleasantly surprised that it was lighter than expected.
Carthago publish a catalogue with the full spec and list of options for each model. Each option is priced and weights given so it is easy to calculate the total.
With your 3500kg limit you might be able to get a decent payload as long as you do the calculations before splashing out on too many tasty (but expensive) goodies.

Richard.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Did you find out where the error occurred?

OP
OP
awg

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Theonlysue, Not yet. I've had an email reply from Carthage Europe who said they would get back to me after speaking to CamperUK.

CamperUK are insistent that they ordered the correct spec and the build sheet they sent me just after I ordered seems to verify that. Now that the problems been resolved I've sort of lost interest in finding out but I do think CamperUK are in the right.

Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back