LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Got a phone call this afternoon from the Sales Manager at CamperUK. I ordered an A Class from them in February with a mid May delivery. The mid May slipped to near the end of June so I was expecting a call to say it was nearly ready.

He said he had good news and bad news. The good news, it's on it's way and should be ready in around a week or so. The bad news, it wasn't what I ordered. The main difference was an automatic instead of manual and a 3500kg chassis instead of the 4250kg I had ordered. He said I could have it for the same price as originally agreed. To say Im stunned is an understatement. The automatic (which I don't want but could live with) is around £1600 but the heavy chassis (which I really want) was somewhere between £1100 and £1800. I can't remember the exact breakdown. So essentially he's offering a different vehicle to what I ordered with effectively no compensation.

He has offered to get it plated at 3800kg but I'm still not pleased. I want to carry a motorbike of around 200kg in the garage which has a limit of 350kg. I don't want to have to worry about axle weight so I went for the heavy chassis. Now I need to decide if I can live with 3800kg and how much compensation I should insist on or cancel and start again with an other dealer. It's really taken the edge off my day.

Time to open a bottle of red and fire up Google to see if any other Carthage dealer has one.

Allan

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Tell them where to stick it, with the exhaust hot -- for the sake of all MH buyers.

Also do the maths very carefully on any loading, he may offer 3800 but no guarantee your bike will not overload the rear axle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
From my wine-induced state, I would cancel and consider what action can be taken for breach of contract. Poor service from CamperUK if they think that their offer is anyway acceptable.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
No deal if it was me. I would be asking for any money paid to be refunded in full.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
They are not even vaguely similar, I would cancel and start again. We really regret accepting our brandnew van that had changed in spec after we ordered it, this has been compounded by many faults that over 3 months later we are still getting sorted. If we could go back we would. You will always always regret it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What a bummer, I would be tempted to go with the others that say tell them to shove it where the sun dont shine, if you do stay with it you want a weighbridge ticket to see what it actually is and what you will have after a weight upgrade, and some compensation freebies.

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
No no no

Reject, reject, reject

As others said once the nice and new shiny feeling has worn off you will be left with the wrong van and one you do not want...

Ask about a new build but jumping the queue, else money back and start again, big disappointment I know, but not as big a disappointment as having been lumbered with a van you neither chose or want...

If they think this van is so good, they will have no problem re selling it..

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I certainly could not live with my van brought down to 3800.
A class is already front heavy and comfortmatic adds weight, if a 3 litre forget it! way too much on the front and presumably on 15" wheels? it's stuffed.

Fatwheels

Free Member
Apr 24, 2015
Sittingbourne
Funster No
MH
Auto trail scout
Exp
I'm a newbie
I had the same thing happen to me when I went to pick up my scout in may they had ordered it with 6 seat belts when I walked in it it only had 4 .the dealer had forgot to order the extra 2 was told they would have to reorder from autotrail for delivery in October but they could get me one sooner with 6 belts but the rest of the spec would be different to what I had ordered so we said no thanks money back please reordered for delivery in March now .it would never have felt right in years to come sitting in the MH thinking this is ok but it's not what we ordered . For anyone who was at the detling show at the weekend the MH we ordered and then rejected was there for sale for £8000 more than we were going buy it for so the dealer won't even be out of pocket when they sell it

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Are these dealers really that careless, or just stupid?

Three people here had there orders incorrectly built, beyond belief that they treat people who are quite possible making their second biggest spend of their lives in this way.....

Customer service at its best?

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Commiserations , you must be incredibly frustrated and annoyed .
I would offer £10,000 off the agreed price and spoil the dealers day . you've got nothing to lose , he knocks it out at cost and rights off the profit .
Good luck .

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I think you would always regret not getting what you ordered.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Tell em to poke it, brown hills tried to fiddle me by ordering a 130 bhp and not the 150bhp that i wanted and spoke of nothing else. Glad i stood firm and Johns cross came to the rescue , even better the delivery date was much sooner and they are more local to me. Stick to your initial thoughts as you will kick yourself after as previously said.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So they're offering you a MH with a different spec for the same price ... BUT instead of the heavy chassis you've paid for, in effect you are paying for the automatic which you didn't want! If they reduced the cost by the amount that you were paying for the heavy chassis at least that would mean you're not having to pay for something you never wanted in the first place, however they seem to want their cake and eat it too!

Regardless, the standard and heavy chassis are too different beasts - different size wheels, brakes, springs etc so it will never ever be what you wanted.

Refuse it and ask for interest on the deposit money and also compensation too.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You have paid a deposit. If the van was ready & you said that you couldn't complete they'd retain the deposit. I'd want not only my money back but compensation for the wasted time waiting & there sheer incompetence + an additional amount for the time you'll be waiting when you order it from a proper dealer,

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I would be tempted to tell them to order the right vehicle (and get it right this time!) and let you have the wrong van to use free of charge while you wait for delivery (but have it uprated so you have at least some payload even if not enough for the bike. That way you will at least have a MH to use while you are waiting so not too inconvenienced.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I wouldn't even think about it. I would reject it out of hand. It is not what you wanted or ordered. You will always be disappointed! Vote with your feet, to a decent dealer (if there is such a thing)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't be tempted to take it, it's very unlikely to have the axle capacity for the bike. Most A class 3500 vans are built on the Al-Ko light chassis which has a limit of 2000k, it can be increased to 2240 by changing the tyres and fitting air assist. As the van has a garage it will have a reasonably long overhang, even with the upgrades you would be pushing your luck.

You don't say what the van is but as it's an A-Class you should be able to find what you want in stock in Germany and save yourself 10 -15 grand or more.

Last edited:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I've been reading this with interest as we bought our 1st mh last September from Camper UK.

I have to say I'm very surprised and if I'm honest, disappointed at their actions and attitude to your dilema. We viewed lots of vans and travelled miles......Camper Uk were great.

I have to agree with others - you'd be accepting 2nd best and would always have that in your mind. Must be so frustrating for you.

Hope you manage to get sorted to your satisfaction.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
this doesn't help you one jot, but there really is a lot ot be said for not buying new, with a used model you see the actual MH you are buying, the only risk is why did original owner sell it?

I hope you get sorted and agree with all above, significant discount or no deal

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The weight is the clincher..I would leave it!

if your happy with LHD I know a good German dealer, so PM me if interested..what model was it you ordered? maybe some on mobile.de

but at this time of years your probably looking at a long wait and a factory order

Eddie

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
they are having a giraffe, you want deposit back plus compensation to cover loss of interest on the deposit and time lost waiting for the van from the day it was ordered.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back