Good battery charger for Generator

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Ivys, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Ivys

Ivys Read Only Funster

Hi Folks

Can anyone recommend a good battery charger that I can run off a 1kw Honda generator? I have about 700-800w to play with, and would like to make the most use of it (without damaging the batteries). I have four 110ah batteries.

I have read very favourable reports on battery-to-battery, does anyone use such a device successfully from a Honda generator?

Whilst I want to charge well and fast, I don’t want something that is huge and bulky.
    I have a Euramobil 745 (1994) and I presume the charger is very inefficient? It takes ages to charge my four batteries.

thanks
    Rog

2. GeorgeTelford

GeorgeTelford Deleted User

Hi there

That would run a pretty good size charger.

My reccomendation would be a Sterling 20 A charger (you could use bigger if you really want to speed up the charging, 20% of Ah would be 88 Amp, btw you can mix and match sterling chargers ie use 2 x 30 amp chargers together on same battery bank)

The Sterling unit is not bothered by input power variations and can use anything from (80V – 300V) multi input frequency (40Hz – 400Hz) so no problem from genny or any worldwide power supply !

It is also designed to be used as a power supply to run your 12v systen when charging is complete.

George

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2007
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi Rog

I would buy as GT suggests ( or bigger depending on how much you want to spend) and replace the existing charger/power supply unit, that way you get full use of your investment when on ehu.

Sizing and prices here

Sterling Chargers

4. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Cool: We used to run a Truecharge 40 from our 900W genny alongside of the TV and Satellite and the odd kettle of water. :Wink:

5. Ivys

Ivys Read Only Funster

Hmmm..., now you've got me thinking George!

2x20 amp chargers are £90 cheaper than 1x40 amp charger, and 600g lighter. Perhaps I'll go for a single 20 amp at £100 and if it doesn't cope I'll add a second.

thanks
    Rog

6. jethro

jethro Deleted User

sterling

hi. i've just been reading up on sterling charging systems these past few days and realise it's a 'must have'. could anyone point me in the direction of a vendor of these charging systems.
    cheers....geoff

7. Digger Driver

Digger Driver Read Only Funster