Good and reasonable priced dash cam?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by westy77, Feb 15, 2015.

1. westy77

westy77 Funster

I'm sure this must have come up before, but after taking the van out for a run on the motorway and having a car drive past, then purposely let of the gas pedal so we were having to slow down, then after waving arms at me brake I want a dash cam so I don't have evidence for the police for people being stupid. I know there will be real cheap rubbish and very expensive bells & whistle stuff. But is there some thing that's good for around £50 ish area? Decent picture and recording time. I guess starts automaticity? Would I really need gps? Something that can be taken out easy to prevent theft of unit? Maybe easy to swap to another vehicle?

2. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

Ask Jaws if he has any left .i'm sure he will be online soon lol.

3. westy77

westy77 Funster

• Like Like x 1
  4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

This is the type I bought. Various prices, sometimes depending on whether a Micro SD card is included.

• Like Like x 1
  5. joncris

joncris Read Only Funster

clear  night view.jpg
    This is my iPhone with the Save Drive app. It'll download onto any smart phone

6. markh

markh

Nextbase incarcam 402g professional, recommended by which, see the reviews on the halfords website

7. taralabradog

taralabradog Funster

8. Rapido925M

Rapido925M Funster

I had one from Jaws but didn't get on with it: he kindly refunded my money. I then bought one from Roys of Wroxham (nearest one to Essex is Sudbury) but that was before Xmas. It cost £30 complete with 8Gb SD card and a 2y guarantee, and has worked perfectly. My son was impressed that it was identical to one recommended on TechMoan 18months ago, which he ordered from China for £35, but which broke down after 11 months (he's not prepared to pay postage to try and return it for a refund).

I had a dashcam previously which also broke down after 11 months, so I suggest that you consider what you will do in a similar situation - Gordon

9. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

As @treetops1 said ask @Jaws, dozens of Funsters bought them at around £30 and we can't all be wrong, I bought 4.

10. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I got an ePrance before I knew Jaws had them.

No GPS on the ePrance but that's fine.

I leave the camera on the windscreen but unplug it, have had people looking round the van and then seen the camera and scarper :)

11. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

I got one from Jaws and I'm very happy with it, does everything I need and was easy to set up.

12. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Also got one from Jaws, simple to use, idiot proof! for a tad under £34!

13. westy77

westy77 Funster

So Jaws has the EPrance cameras? Like in the Amazon link I posted?

14. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

That looks identical to my dashcam apart from the price. Check this, seems to do everything it says, good picture and has all features I need....
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=191374327389
    Doesnt come with the 32gb TF card but you can pick up a quality one for less than £10, making full set up less than half price of Amazon.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Larby

Larby Funster

Yep, I got one from Jaws. I do note though the playback screen is smallish. I have saved a a particular segment and then get a full screen on the laptop, BUT, I then lose the GPS and speed display so it seems they are only displayed on the playback programme.
    Any one else or am I doing something wrong?

16. SMB

SMB Funster

Also got one of these, cheap n cheerful, starts recording when the engine is switched on, stops when engine shut down. Good image quality but haven't tried it at night..

Whoops sorry I have an E-Prance but not this one, its an earlier more basic model that I have

http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-De...UTF8&qid=1424032844&sr=8-14&keywords=E-prance

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  17. westy77

westy77 Funster

Looking at the photos opinion both ads they seem to be the same unit! Maybe internally they are different?

18. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

Possible... But I have tried mine and quite happy. The G shock definately works as I set it up in the menu before turning off the unit. Put the camera down and it turned back on in record mode. Turned it off again, put it down and it turned on again. Doh... Realised it was the tap of putting it onto hard surface that activated the G Shock mode and began recording.
    As with most tech items, they all tend to be made in a particular place by specific manufacturers and get rebranded. So its anyones guess really. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

I had this one and it was so good someone stole it(y) very small and discrete and they have a new version now but it is more money(y)

20. campa cola

campa cola Funster

I bought this one the Transcend Drivepro 200 after looking at most of Mr Techmoans reviews and downloading video samples

Pros: very good in low light (significantly better than the eprance).
    wifi to your smartphone, sounds like a gimmick huh, but its not, and very good for quick reviews, changing settings and making a quick emergency in the field backup of any video files to your smartphone memory.
    Feels well built & branded manufacturer

Cons: video not quite as sharp as the eprance.
    Quite visible with silver markings, I used a felt pen to hide it better.
    No GPS.
    I also bought the additional suction cup system so you can transfer it to other vehicles and its very solid on attaches well.
    A bit over your price range but a good cam

I bought from techmoans Amazon link, but the first camera I was sent was clearly secondhand and had a video of someone in their dressing gown on the card!!! However I used amazons new returns process and was sent a new sealed camera a couple of days later.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015