Free Member
Feb 27, 2016
Sweden
Funster No
MH
Knaus Live Ti
Exp
Since 2011
Hi! I´m new in this forum and I´m living in Sweden enjoying the life with our motorhome. We have a Knaus Sun TI from 2012 and uses it all year around in Sweden. We are now starting to think about some coming tours and one of the trips will probably go to UK. Thats way I joined here to get some experience and knowledges from those who know the country best. My english is quite unused the last years, but I hope you understand me and can accept the bad language sometimes;-)

I will be reading around on this forum and maybe ask some stupid questions, but that is one of the great things with forums like this, you can always get some good answers. In Sweden I is member of Husbilsklubben.se, the largest club/forum for motorhomes i Sweden.

Looking forward to learn more from you all.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Welcome to the club. Ask any questions you want and I am positive you will get a lot of helpful answers as well as some silly ones.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi Lundsholm - welcome -
Well the good news for a trip in a motorhome in the UK is that we can all speak good English - Next good thing - let me think about that for a while! Ah yes - you can get the ferry or tunnel to the continent.
You will be in for a very big shock I am disappointed to have to tell you.
There are very few places to park up other than campsites - Our motorway/road services are nothing like Sweden - You can only stop for usually 2 hours - no filling or dumping facilities.
I think the caravan club in the UK may have arrangements with other clubs for temporary membership - if not it could be worth joining as it opens up opportunities to stay on small 5 van sites throughout the UK -
Depending on how long you intend to spend in the UK you could come over Amsterdam to Newcastle with DFDS and head up into Scotland first?
Ask any questions you like
Steve

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Welcome! Although the UK does not have aires like France, Germany etc, there are 2 large clubs which have a range of good campsites along with temporary holiday sites. The Camping & Caravanning Club is one, and the Caravan Club is another. However, perhaps you would also benefit from Britstops which lists over 640 pubs, farm shops and other organisations offering free overnight parking.

The best club to join though is this one, and come along to Motorhome Fun rallies!

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi and welcome to the forum. When you get to the uk please come to Poole, we have some of the best beaches in the country.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Welcome to Fun
There are no stupid questions.
Ask all you want.
This is a great site to ask questions as there are some very helpful members.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Welcome to Fun. Your English exceeds my Swedish!
Maybe in your UK tour you could join a Fun rally or 2 ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Be warned. First advice given by many FUNsters to new members is "get across the channel as soon as possible".

I suppose we do have some sights worth seeing but we have poor infrastructure for motorhoming, most sites are full at popular times.

So ask us about things you want to see here and we'll advise of how easy it is.

For instance, our roads are horrendously busy over a lot of England.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Be warned. First advice given by many FUNsters to new members is "get across the channel as soon as possible".

I suppose we do have some sights worth seeing but we have poor infrastructure for motorhoming, most sites are full at popular times.

So ask us about things you want to see here and we'll advise of how easy it is.

For instance, our roads are horrendously busy over a lot of England.
Hilldweller, Ambassador British Tourist Board.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Well 10 years ago we bought MH, joined CC as you do. Turn up at site we wanted "Sorry Full" and so it went on. We just do not compare with mainland Europe. Says he typing away in Spain in the sunshine but with a cold wind.

We have noticed a load of "S" plates in Spain and Portugal. Together with "FIN" "DEN" and the usual suspects "F" "D" "NL".

Deleted User

Maybe, but unfortunately he has hit the nail firmly on the head.

How many continental vans do you see in the UK? (Very few)

Why is that?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
:pink: Hello Welcome to motorhome Fun, we get a lot of pleasure touring the UK , of course if you want hot weather and parked close together on Aires then probably not for you, but if you want to see some wonderful architecture towns full of history York, Chester, Liverpool, Stratford on Avon, the lovely Cotstwold Villages, the list is endless.

With some planing and a bit of common sense the UK has so much to offer, there are all sorts of information to help @GJH web information on parking. I would join the Caravan and Camping Club they have an extensive network of small sites (CL's) that you can stay at.
Also well worth becoming a full member of Motorhome Fun, £15 a year, then you will be able to ask any questions you want and get an answer quite quickly.

Don't be put off we have toured the UK in a Motorhome for the past 14 years and not yet been unable to find parking or beautiful interesting places to visit.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There are very few places to park up other than campsites
There are over 2225 car parks in my POI set and that excludes all supermarkets and (apart from a few places) on street parking.

It is important, though, not to confuse parking and camping (as so many people still do). In the UK any human habitation activities in a vehicle constitute camping, not parking, and are banned in most car parks and in several roadside locations.

Deleted User
Welcome, I'm sure you will be just as excited about visiting the UK as we would be about visiting Sweden.
On the plus of all the negative about not being welcome anywhere in a MH, you're a visitor to our country and will certainly be able to get away with a lot of cheeky stops here there and everywhere, so enjoy :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
:welc:

Maybe, but unfortunately he has hit the nail firmly on the head.

How many continental vans do you see in the UK? (Very few)

Why is that?

We try to get over so it looks like furriners are interested :giggler:

There are over 2225 car parks in my POI set and that excludes all supermarkets and (apart from a few places) on street parking.

It is important, though, not to confuse parking and camping (as so many people still do). In the UK any human habitation activities in a vehicle constitute camping, not parking, and are banned in most car parks and in several roadside locations.

Does that include ?
$_35.JPG
:giggler::giggler:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Don't forget to include sunny Norfolk in your trip, unspoilt beaches, the Broads, (not the female kind), Historic Norwich as well, just don't forrget plenty of change for Parking, if you can find any.
To combat the recession, and to encourage people to holiday in our home county, the North Norfolk DC have just voted to INCREASE the parking charges in their car parks by 30p PER HOUR, short sighted or what!!!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Välkomna. Never mind the south, get the ferry to Newcastle and head north to Scotland, beautiful place. Whatever you do, have fun.

OP
OP
Lundsholm

Lundsholm

Free Member
Feb 27, 2016
Sweden
Funster No
MH
Knaus Live Ti
Exp
Since 2011
Thank you all for all the wellcome and the tios you got. This sesam as a really good start at a forum when so many people is involved in my first posting ever... That looks really good for the future when I can be a little more spcific in my questions.

We trawells with a dog all the time, have had more than one, but... So any questions about MH and dogs are also intresting for us...

I mentioned that we lives i Sweden, so if someone has qeustions about MH and Sweden, dons hesitate to ask me. I.ll answer the best I can and I also can look in the biggest MH club in Sweden Husbilsklubben (www.husbilsklubben.se), it means just The Motorhomeclub. The most on that site is in swedish, but thats hoe for me(y)

Now I also paid the subscription so that I can se more:) Really looking forward to this!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Nice to hear from someone from Sweden one of the reasons we bought sub 6m motorhome was for the ferries and bridges in that part of the world but not got there yet!. There are some very beautiful parts of the UK but we are not as motorhome friendly as France. The reference to dogging in one of the other replies is not related to your pets it means certain night time activities in car parks between humans which I will leave to your imagination!!!!! (just in case you don't know you would not want to list dogging as a hobby in general conversation). Why not think about the types of things you enjoy and ask for some suggestions I would not recommend London for a motorhome trip with your pets you might be better doing that on a cheap flight without them.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We like visiting historic places (including prehistoric) and plan to travel around Denmark, Sweden and Norway in the near future. Which 5 places in Sweden would you most recommend to us Lundsholm? Our daughter visited Stockholm recently (by plane, not motorhome) and liked it a lot.

Welcome to the Motorhome Fun community.

OP
OP
Lundsholm

Lundsholm

Free Member
Feb 27, 2016
Sweden
Funster No
MH
Knaus Live Ti
Exp
Since 2011
We like visiting historic places (including prehistoric) and plan to travel around Denmark, Sweden and Norway in the near future. Which 5 places in Sweden would you most recommend to us Lundsholm? Our daughter visited Stockholm recently (by plane, not motorhome) and liked it a lot.

Welcome to the Motorhome Fun community.
It depends on what you lie most, but since you mentioned Stockholm, it really is one of the most beutifl kapitals in Europe with all water, parks, the old town and so on. There is not som many places to stay with MH in the town, but there is getting better. History can also means castles and so (but we dons have castles like UK), and the most of them are in the south part of the country. One thing I think no one should miss is Göta Kanal (www.gotakanal.se) this channel sweden built with help from England... Göta kanal has the last years made a lot of new places for MHs and is really good. My self i prefere the history of the northern part of Sweden, the Sami people. One of the best places to start learning about this is Ajjte museum (http://www.ajtte.com), for me it is the best museum in Sweden, we goes teer every time we are so far at the north... Maybe not 5 places, but a start to think a little bit more...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back