Going to Sicily - any advice re places to stay.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ponyboy, Oct 2, 2014.

1. ponyboy

ponyboy Read Only Funster

Yep Sicily's name got drawn from the hat so it looks like winter there for us. Other than the usual round up of things to beware of - Horse's Heads and Omertà, has anyone got any worthwhile advice on good spots to visit and camper sites. Also any advice on ferries, either from that end of the toe bit of italy or even from Sardinia would be greatly appreciated .
    Cheers
    Ponyboy

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Get searching for posts by Patric. All of Sicily is there.

• Like Like x 2
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

This may be an entirely subjective view but I have a vision of modern Italy being cursed by poor roads and uncollected rubbish. The thought of driving the length of the country to reach Sicily through these trials puts me off.

But as a Montelbano fan the idea of reaching the island via Corsica and Sardinia appeals, though it would probably be expensive in ferries.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

Sicily is great don't be put of by negativity hilldweller knows Italy I got advice of off him he was spot on.

• Like Like x 2
  5. PHD

PHD Read Only Funster

Our March plan is France, Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily. The ferries aren't too bad as we're under 6m and you can camp on deck on some of them which means no cabin. It's competitive with fuel to drive down Italy. e.g one way from Livorno to Bastia with 6m MH is €152 at the end of March. Toulon=>Ajaccio is about the same saving you a long drive.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  6. ponyboy

See - this is why everyone should be forced to take out motorhome fun membership from birth. Great advice and I will have a look at what Patric has to say. PHD - I will look at the island hopping option, I loved Corsica even though I only saw half of it in the month we had there. Looked longingly seaward from Bonifacio as the Sardinia ferry sailed. Yep - definitely interested in travelling on the big blue wobbly thing what mermaids swim in.
    Thx everyone

• Like Like x 2
  7. ponyboy

can't find Patric on the search engine, have you got any more details Hilldweller?

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Oh dear. I can't find him either. He did Sicily big time about 2 years ago and it came across as well worth it. Sorry.

We've never been further south than Sorrento. We've been many many times and will be going again. Love the place though I have thought Sicily is a bit far when there is so much on offer closer to home.

Make sure you research the weather, Sicily is not as far south as southern Spain and that gets cold in Feb.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

Sciliy is great. You will have to modify your driving style though, for instance a red light just means procede with care. Camping Jonio in Catania is a good base for the east of the island. Huge amounts of Greek antiquities scattered across the island. Palermo is worth 3/4 days, Monte Carlo meets Mogadisu comes to mind. You can get a a 3 month open return for about 90 euros just north of Reggio di Calabro.
    While down there in Reggio they have opened the new museum for the irace bronzes last feb. 7C bc greek statues that will take you breath away.
    In Italy all nation monuments and museums are free to eu citizens over 65 you MUST however be able to prove it by carrying your passport. Finally if you like tuna, swordfish and artichokes you will enjoy. Roads are good rubbish is better than Calabria and the people are v friendly. Coastal areas are the most temperate but there are road in the interior where you need to carry snow chains or have winter tyres. There is even a flourishing ski resort on Etna. Enjoy
    Dick

• Like Like x 2
  10. SMB

SMB Funster

I was in Sicily in May for a month, having travelled down mainland Italy and I loved it (although the roads are crap in Italy on the way down as previously mentioned, some real boneshakers off the motorways), crossing to Messina from Vila San Giovanni (95 euros for a 7.5m MH, single person, valid for three months return . I mainly used ACSI sites and visited as many Roman ruins as I could, headed West on the North coast and followed it all the way around. Campsite Valle Dei Templi is next to the ruins at Agrigento and I also went to Bar Vitelli at Savoca, where they shot scenes from the first 'Godfather' film. Its at the top of a hill and is a beautiful little place, although I should have taken the bus instead of walking up! Could have done with another few weeks in Sicily to be honest. Taormina is also fabulous but there are so many nice places to see. If it helps I kept my own, very basic, information sheets for each campsite I visited and would be happy to email them to you but I wouldn't want to put you off any sites you might have in mind! I also mapped my route and POI'S on Microsoft Autoroute 2013 if you have that :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. SMB

SMB Funster

Wasn't aware of this museum, next time thanks Glandwr (y)

12. ponyboy

Great info guys and Madame Le Navigateur is going to be busy overlaying all your details on her travel maps after I've brought her her morning cuppa. SMB - I'd love to hear from you and get a look at your info sheets. I'm at jc_darcy@hotmail.com

13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I had a search and found Patrick, he was last active in 2012 .. but can only find one post about Sicily.. and you probably missed it as he spelled it incorrectly as 'Sicilly'

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/new-photos-from-italy-tour.23646/#post-285474

Here is his profile with all his postings, don't see any more about Sicily or Sicilly

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/members/patrick.862/

all threads started by Patrick

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/search/2117225/

• Like Like x 2
  14. SMB

SMB Funster

sent, hope its of some use to you :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

For really up to date information you can't beat this:- http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/view/1518/351/

• Like Like x 2
  16. SMB

SMB Funster

17. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

Glad it was useful. They don't pull their punches when they come into contact with dodgy business either! They have some useful contacts with other long termers whose input I use for planning too!

• Like Like x 1