Going to France?? Better buy your own breathalyser (1 Viewer)

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
I agree but that's not what the law says. These kits could save lives.
Jim
:Smile:

How? Who is going to use them. People who are already willing to take it to the limit are probably not that concerned if they are over the limit or not. It's just invites more people to their party.

People will see it as a way of keep drinking until I'm almost at the limit. They decide to drive home and in the few minutes of "being under the limit" and driving, those people are now over the limit (takes a short while to get into your system).

Then, you can bet your bottom dollar that they won't want to take responsibility for their actions and it'll be the fault of the breathaliser manufacturer and not their own utter irresponsibility.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
How? Who is going to use them. People who are already willing to take it to the limit are probably not that concerned if they are over the limit or not. It's just invites more people to their party.

People will see it as a way of keep drinking until I'm almost at the limit. They decide to drive home and in the few minutes of "being under the limit" and driving, those people are now over the limit (takes a short while to get into your system).

Then, you can bet your bottom dollar that they won't want to take responsibility for their actions and it'll be the fault of the breathaliser manufacturer and not their own utter irresponsibility.

Its happening now. People are pushing it to the limit and beyond. I just think that if there's a chance of saving a life, do it. The pubs wont have them in their bars because their frightened that people will use them and they will lose money. Any how, as has been said, ban all drink driving.
Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jimiol

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
Doonbeg Ireland
Funster No
MH
Coachbulit
Exp
beginner, I don't like the newbie term
Read with interest

I have been holding off commenting being a new funster but. Personally I don't think having a Breathalyser would stop anyone drink driving. I have not looked at the kit that someone has previously mentioned for £4. I remember many years ago using the ones with crystals surrounded by glass where you had to break the end a get the person to blow in it. Very very inaccurate, albeit this device was just used to determine if someone should be arrested for blood or urine samples. I personally used one after drinking seven pints of Guinness, (this was about 25 years ago) it showed as negative!! I wasn’t driving or working at the time, just curious.

Then along came the more sophisticated device the traffic light version, this is better but not perfect, again only a toll used to determine if to arrest and take back to the station for the bigger machine. Even this machine gives the user a 10% tolerance just to be on the safe side.

I have seen cops start their early shift at 6am who have been out drinking the night before use the machine on themselves before getting into their patrol cars, yes even if it were red or amber.

I have breathalysed people who swore to me they had a pint an hour ago, I believed some of them and yet the hand held machine went to red. The bigger machine later confirmed low alcohol levels.

On average, it takes about one hour for your body to break down one unit of alcohol. However, this can vary, depending on:
  • your weight
  • whether you’re male or female
  • your age
  • how quickly or slowly your body turns food into energy (your metabolism)
  • how much food you have eaten
  • the type and strength of the alcohol
  • whether you’re taking medication and, if so, what type
It can also take longer if your liver isn’t working normally.
One can of Stella 2.3 units X 5 cans will mean 11.5 hrs before it is out of the average system.
Zero limit= if drinking 5 cans or equivalent of stella finish by 8.30pm if you want to drive to work the next day at 8am and that’s if you are the normal person.
Finally bit the alcohol takes a while to get in the system so have 2 pints use the breathalyser and it may read OK 30 minutes later it might not.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back