Free Member
May 9, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autohomes
Exp
Since 1980 on & off
Ever thought .... they might not have a TV licence ?? ;) Can`t say I`ve seen a detector van (if they still exist) on a site or received a letter addressed to my van from the licencing bods. Just a thought :)

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Thank you for your reply . . .[/QUOTE

was just humour, sorry if you took it the wrong way. Meant to add the site at the end but forgot. Caerfai and Porthclais off St David's.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

john1953

Free Member
May 29, 2014
middlewich, cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion.
Exp
since 2007
Firstly to those who are interested in what site it is, bugger off, am not telling you, it's gonna be my secret :D

Yes one quote was right, it did feel worse because they had an astounding position on the site and weren't even interested in it, at all. Yes bad luck it was right in front of ours, was like rubbing noses in the fact they didn't care to look at or appreciate it.

I did say originally that we're all different and want different things and tacit in that is the knowledge some peeps like bit of telly. However, there is definitely a difference between having the gogglebox as part of your hols and your gogglebox being your whole hols, to the exclusion of all else. I still genuinely can't understand why you would not stay at home and do exactly the same thing, in the comfort of your home. If I'd been 30 yrs younger I would have removed my clothing and ran around the van until someone noticed, as it is, I would now probably drive them over the cliff in horror :D

Let us know if there are any other does and donts while holidaying in a Motorhome or better still give us your list of future sites you wish to visit and I'll make sure we do not arrive at the same one, we do watch a bit of TV and I would hate to spoil your stay.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Let us know if there are any other does and donts while holidaying in a Motorhome or better still give us your list of future sites you wish to visit and I'll make sure we do not arrive at the same one, we do watch a bit of TV and I would hate to spoil your stay.
Apologies, didn't realise this was a taboo subject. Was just a disgruntled observation and ponder. There's lots of that on here to be fair.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I guess that I am in a minority when sharing the same point of view as the OP and I sense that other responders are being a bit harsh. If I had witnessed the same situation where a beautiful view and location were being ignored for the whole weekend for the sake of TV, I would question why they bothered pitching there when a) they could have watched TV at home or b) they could have pitched anywhere else and had the same view (of the box). I know that we are all different and that the TV watchers got there first but sometimes it is worth asking what makes people tick so differently to our own way of thinking; I don't know all the answers but it is something that I would like to understand better.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Thanks Mattyjwr. That's all I was doing really was letting off a bit of steam and vocalising that am genuinely puzzled by the whole scenario. Wasn't criticising anyone on here who watches their telly here and there or who own one. Did try to pop some humour in here and there. Guess it's a topic to avoid.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
i was in wales this weekend, nice sunshine, cold wind blowing, but coat and a hat, no problem.
i got there , pitched up, leveling jacks dowm, slides out, dish up,brew on.
dish was up but tv was not on, not all of us switch them on till late at night, maybe a drink and a film before bed, or in bed sometimes.
the view from my front window , was of a few tents and caravans and the toilet block, not great but curtains stayed open till it went dark.
and went in to town, the waterfall, the beach,a meal,the clubhouse, the market, so didnt get time to watch the telly,even missed match of the day(y)(y)(y)

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
We went to Wales last week to catch up on a bit of telly. Had what must have been the best pitch in Wales with lovely views of the sea. Problem was the blinds have broken on that side so they had to remain down all the time. Also, we noticed in the only other van on the site, there was a weird woman who sat glaring at us most of the time, so much so we felt intimidated to go out for a walk around, thinking they might be robbing us whilst out so remained in except when nature called and we used the loo block.
Could have been worse though, at least there were not any kids running round kicking a ball and making a noise.
:D:D:D

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Well it sounds like I am in the minority when it comes to the telly. Spent Sunday night at New England Bay CC site watching season 2 of Bosch, all 10 episodes, bliss. Then again we don't get a chance to watch the telly at home what with both of us in full time work and what seem like a hundred other things that need to get done first. So a weekend away with my wife and the dog is bliss with nothing needing done or having to deal with an incident/investigation at work, no emails, no work phones, just me and Elaine in front of the telly going numb in the head watching what everyone else saw 3 months ago but we only just got around to watching it. To take Daisy the cocker for a walk, swim in the sea whenever we can get her woken as she is still sleeping off the last walk she had. That is our idea of motorhoming, to do whatever we want whenever we want and if that is watching the telly then watching the telly it is. Each to their own.(y)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
How sad, someone sitting in their van for several days just watching telly, what could be construed as even sadder would be someone sitting in their own van watching someone else watching telly in their van;)

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
How sad, someone sitting in their van for several days just watching telly, what could be construed as even sadder would be someone sitting in their own van watching someone else watching telly in their van;)
We walked 7 miles of the coastal path on the Saturday, then went to the beer garden to take in a cold beer and local atmosphere. It was our tent neighbours who filled us in on that bit. ;)

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
[QUOTE="DavidG58, post: 1829539, member: 24833"

There could be any number of reasons for not going out, the most obvious being disability

o_O[/QUOTE]

Too right, my wife rarely leaves the MH for that reason, however we do not shut blinds etc until bed time.
She loves any view in the day or night time.
She also loves the TV.
If we can sit out for a good while that is fine, but cold weather, short days, no sun is a no no.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Well it sounds like I am in the minority when it comes to the telly. Spent Sunday night at New England Bay CC site watching season 2 of Bosch, all 10 episodes, bliss. Then again we don't get a chance to watch the telly at home what with both of us in full time work and what seem like a hundred other things that need to get done first. So a weekend away with my wife and the dog is bliss with nothing needing done or having to deal with an incident/investigation at work, no emails, no work phones, just me and Elaine in front of the telly going numb in the head watching what everyone else saw 3 months ago but we only just got around to watching it. To take Daisy the cocker for a walk, swim in the sea whenever we can get her woken as she is still sleeping off the last walk she had. That is our idea of motorhoming, to do whatever we want whenever we want and if that is watching the telly then watching the telly it is. Each to their own.(y)

Totally agree with each to their own but out of interest, does it matter to you where you go for such weekends? Would you be happier with a wonderful view of the sea or a view of a standard camp site or doesn't it make any difference? How far would you travel to get to a suitable site?

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Yes it does as we walk the dog and she likes new smells to investigate, and add to the aroma? We are very lucky staying in Central Scotland as we can go almost anywhere we want and have done so. New England Bay near Drommore is 2 hours from the house, Ayr is an hour, Aberdeen is 2 and a 1/2 and Inverness is just over 3 depending on traffic. We have been to Brora, Inverness, Kyle of Lochalsh, North Berwick for a weekend to walk the dog and chillax sometimes we don't even watch the telly as we are knackered but have been known to stare into other vans to see what they are watching, blind position dependant for obvious reasons.:rolleyes:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Maybe their TV was linked to a small drone that was following the OP's every move and relaying the signals to MI5 HQ.

Come to think of it, when we're on campsites there's not a few people whom I wish would spend more time in their vehicles watching telly and less time outside.

Anyway, we've got a couple of weeks on UK campsites quite soon as we had to change our European travel plans - it'll be interesting to reacquaint ourselves with the Great British camping public.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back