GO WHERE I TELL YOU!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Big bus man, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Big bus man

Big bus man

I was just reading an article on the CC website about how reliant we are on our sat-nav systems, it's true though we are. We were going to the New Forest CC site earlier in the year, I had never been so I looked it up on Google Earth, I know the area so I had it in my head what turn I should be taking off the main Christchurch road. Wife had the sat-nav on and getting close she said it was not that turning it is about 3 miles further down. Not wishing to have a 'I told you so moment' I followed the sat-nav. We did a 7 mile trip round the back of the site through some small lanes. On leaving I went the way I thought we should have some in, the way all the other moterhomers were using and no problem at all, just half a mile to the main road. Could not resist the "I told you so" moment though :D:D:D
    Sat-Nav's are good but I sometimes wonder how far off track they take us.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

That's why BaseCamp and my Garmin are now my new favourite toys. You can plot the route, using the description on the CC site or CL and plot it into BaseCamp and then upload to Sat Nav (y).

Well that's the theory, I'll let you know if it works in practice :)!!!

3. Clickem

Clickem Funster

We have lost a lot of faith in the TomTom recently and I now try to have a good idea of the general direction in which it should be taking us

A few weeks ago we were returning from Norwich to Newcastle. TomTom took us down the A11 towards Cambridge and Newmarket, rather than by Kings Lynn. When I got home I checked the routes on Via Michelin. TomTom route was 320 miles and 6hrs 16mins. Kings Lynn (via Michelin first choice route) was 257 miles and 5hrs 14 mins

Presumably the reason TomTom chose the much longer route was because it was much more on dual carriageways

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

The ever excellent Google Maps produced 3 routes, 258, 296, 275.

TomTom must be owned by the Arabs, you just made them very happy.

5. Big bus man

Big bus man

Dare I say mine is also a Tom Tom!
    Coming back from Birmingham in my wife's car I left the NEC at 1pm, I had to be home near Gatwick before 4pm as the repair shop fixing my car shuts then, all seemed fine for a 3.30pm arrival, M40-M25-M23 simple but then the M25 was getting closer and the time moved up and up as I went round, now saying 4.15pm so with nothing to lose I turned off and used the cross country route from Leatherhead, I arrived at 3.45pm! My sat-nav tried to steel half an hour of my valuable time, worst of all it would have been on the ever lovely M25 :mad::mad::mad:.

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

With CC sites it is well worth looking at the directions on their web site for which roads to use close to the camp site. At Abbey Wood, for instance, it takes you round the houses a bit but avoids a road which can apparently cause problems for large vehicles (I checked with a motorhoming warden when we were there once).

7. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

It should do.
    Was going to CC site in Melrose and BaseCamp routed us through the town which CC say you should avoid. So, changed the routing in BaseCamp to mirror CC directions and loaded to sat nav. Worked fine.(y)

• Like Like x 2
  8. barsteward

barsteward Funster

I have always had Garmin up to buying the Mh. I very rarely used a sat nav in the car but the garmin on the motorbike was great, planning a route the night before was part of the fun.
    When I bought the MH I decided that we would be travelling long distances in places we were unfamiliar and on the wrong side of the road. The convenience of the Tom Tom was therefore what I went for in the end.
    If I were to buy another though it would be Garmin the Tom Tom is just to Dogmatic and the inability to plan the routes I wanted to use in Spain & Portugal last year hist me off.

9. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Hows about trying the ViaMichelin app on the phone? It was a recommendation on a funster thread where I saw it, tried it earlier this year and have used it ever since. It also shows costs on tolls that I found pretty accurate as well. It has option of car or car with caravan. I found that the true toll cost would be somewhere in between for us. It also often comes up with more than one route letting you decide which one you like the best.

It's pretty good, worth a look (y).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

My ex wife lives in Kings Lynn :devil:... so it could have been routing you via Cambridge for safety reasons ;).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

We were following our Garmin Sat Nav's directions in Plymouth when I decided we needed fuel, so pulled off the route. She, the Sat Nav, never spoke to me again - ever! Fortunately, it was still under guarantee from Halfords and they swapped it for another one.

12. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

I am tempting fate by saying this, I know, but since we bought the Snooper (S7000, for motorhomes) a while back, I have never had any trouble. You can set it for the height, width and weight of the van and it has all the campsites, ACSI sites, and camper stops on it, plus Bluetooth to take calls through and it has a very big screen so even on the dash of the Hymer I can see it clearly. Not cheap. But worth it so far. Gary

• Like Like x 1
  13. bladerunner

bladerunner Funster

I had a great evening with a police driver friend. One accident we attended involved a young girl who had turned right at a red set of traffic lights. Her reasoning? - the GPS had told her to turn right so she did!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Well, Mrs A says I never listen to her when she gives me driving directions, and so she doesn't feel discriminated against, I don't listen to the sat nav either.
    I'm a bloke....I don't ask for directions, and I don't need anyone telling me which way to go.....:whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  15. barsteward

barsteward Funster

All well and good.....but does it warn you of an immanent gassing?:whistle:;)

• Like Like x 2
  16. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

No but I just make her get out and walk (but don't tell her I said this or I'm in deep trouble) Gary

17. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Everything went according to plan, the plan was only shit.

OK Gary what`s it worth?.

Pete

18. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

I always use the route option, fastest/shortest/ with or without Motorway. These are all programmed to use Motorway and fastest route.
    The fastest is not necessarily the quickest of course. The Classic test is Eastbourne to Hempstead Kent. Fastest (Motorway) approx. 70 miles. The shortest and of course the quickest is cross country via Maidstone 39 Miles. They just love blue roads. ( just like SHMBO)

19. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

Almost exactly right: everything went according to plan, only (in the sense of "but") the plan was shit.

Here's another one, but it only sounds right in German:

Hast du Spinne, Ratte oder Maus. macdonald macht hamburger daraus.
    What's it worth? A pint next time I'm up in East Yorkshire! Gary

20. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I'm lost. Can anyone tell me where I am? TomTom maps of PZ are rubbish.....