'Go-Pod' Caravan. Is seller legit? (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
A work colleague of my missus fancies buying a Go-Pod. She's a single lady and is used to camping, but is attracted to one of these things because of owning a very small car and the towing/weight ratio is exceptional. Mind you, they ain't cheap (at c£8495) but come complete.

She went to see one over the weekend, but here's the rub; to quote her, she "went round to some bloke's house in Lancashire and not a dealership". He wanted a non-returnable deposit of a monkey and said he was a 'franchise for them'.

Anybody got any views or advice on the franchise aspect please?

Got no problems with the van itself. Gets good reviews in the caravan media. I'm just concerned about the franchise and deposit bit.

Thanks all
James

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
A director at our firm of Auditors bought a pod recently from this company in Taunton. http://www.podcaravans.co.uk/ They have bought the black one. They have just spent a couple of weeks in North Wales and had great fun with it.
Edited not a go-pod but a pod

Last edited:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Be very careful. In Lancaster and Morecambe we have a lot of gypsies who buy and sell caravans from their home or the home of a 'relative' . Personally wouldn't give it a second look.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Be very careful. In Lancaster and Morecambe we have a lot of gypsies who buy and sell caravans from their home or the home of a 'relative' . Personally wouldn't give it a second look.
Agree - especially as the "standard" model is £100 cheaper from the manufacturer as per @big map link

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A director at our firm of Auditors bought a Go-pod recently from this company in Taunton. http://www.podcaravans.co.uk/ They have bought the black one. They have just spent a couple of weeks in North Wales and had great fun with it.
That's a different make I think. The Go-Pod company seems a bit odd, they have a website and from it you can arrange to view one of their pods which they have already sold. This page shows how to arrange this.
This might be worth doing as they could then ask how they found Go-Pod were to deal with. However, their website doesn't even seem to give an address and viewings presumably where they are made are "strictly by appointment". The main phone number is a mobile though they do give an 01462 number, which is Hertfordshire.

For the lady in the OP I would suggest if she wants a Go-Pod she contacts the company directly or visits the NEC in early October where apparently they are going to be exhibiting - as no doubt will other makers of small caravans so she can compare them. There are several companies making these tear-drop shaped models these days.

Last edited:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Southport, Lancashire PR8 5LF at our Head Office.

Every day - week days or weekends - by appointment.

From there website

Reactions: DBK

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Red Lion Caravan Centre just off the A570 between Southport and Ormskirk sell them. They also sell second hand caravans and motorhomes plus they have an accessory shop. By Vincent's Garden Centre.

Reactions: DBK

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Contact Information
Sales & accessories:

• sales@go-pods.co.uk

• 07984 500 268 / 01462 733743

• Working Days/Hours:
    Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm
Head office & collections:
  • Red Lion Caravans Ltd.
    300 Southport Road
    Scarisbrick, Lancs, PR8 5LF

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If he has a franchise he will have documentation showing as much.
Dont bother going back....con man.

As an aside, a lot of 'small' cars dont have a train weight and are not suitable, or legal, for towing and as such no towbars are made for them.
Worth checking the car first.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
This is on their contact page

9425735.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's all a bit weird, they seem to have two linked websites, "go-pods" and "2berthcaravans" and a telephone number in Hertfordshire. (n)

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Was there another firm a woman that used the old reliant factory.
And made small one piece caravans.
No idea of the name.
There was a tv program about her.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
For anyone looking at small caravans, these must be worth a look, never dealt with this firm and don't know anything about them other than they have been selling quite a while now so must be so good

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for your comments everyone. Really useful information. It explains a lot.

I will pass all the info on.

Peter Parker

Free Member
Nov 16, 2016
Weymouth, DT4.
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus 601D
Exp
since 2008
My parents own a Go-Pod having downsized from a motorhome. They saw this thread online and asked me to post on their behalf. They looked at Pod Caravans, (who are a distinctly different company from Go-Pods), & the Freedom caravans but found them dated and less value for money. They were impressed with the service received and have enjoyed using their hassle-free, small 'micro tourer' for a couple of years now. I think the following link will answer most of the questions posed above & any misinformation - http://www.go-pods.co.uk/go-pods-faqs.html - so no reason for your colleague not to buy.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Cute but so inconvenient to use if you have to cook outside. Surely better to get a small second hand conventional one. Small wheels rings alarm bells too.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
A director at our firm of Auditors bought a pod recently from this company in Taunton. http://www.podcaravans.co.uk/ They have bought the black one. They have just spent a couple of weeks in North Wales and had great fun with it.
Edited not a go-pod but a pod

I know the joinery firm that got involved in these, seem quite popular

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
A work colleague of my missus fancies buying a Go-Pod. She's a single lady and is used to camping, but is attracted to one of these things because of owning a very small car and the towing/weight ratio is exceptional. Mind you, they ain't cheap (at c£8495) but come complete.

She went to see one over the weekend, but here's the rub; to quote her, she "went round to some bloke's house in Lancashire and not a dealership". He wanted a non-returnable deposit of a monkey and said he was a 'franchise for them'.

Anybody got any views or advice on the franchise aspect please?

Got no problems with the van itself. Gets good reviews in the caravan media. I'm just concerned about the franchise and deposit bit.

Thanks all
James
Hi James. I would give the caravan magazines a ring and see what they have to say. Regards, Mike

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We met a couple who have one of these, and who were very pleased with it, and keen to show us around (didn't take long!). I was very impressed. They towed it with a small French estate, and loved the flexibility of the the rig. You can use the estate as an everyday car, park the Go Pod in the garage, etc. They seemed very well made, extremely small and very neat. They used the estate car to help with storage while camping, and had a fly sheet type of awning for the rear door for the cooking etc. Also they had a drive away awning for longer stays. For a couple who want to go for short trips, more in the summer than winter, it seems to me to be an attractive proposition. They're also very cute. The van that is, not the couple. Well, they were OK too.
While in Spain a couple of months ago, there were 3 Germans who had a small Eriba (Cub?), painted the same red colour as their new Fiat 500, with a matching colour garden type pavilion tent that was larger than the van - they could have parked the Eriba under it. And all their towels etc were matching red and black colours. Plus a toilet tent. Matching of course. Literally over the top. But what more do you need for a hot summer in Spain. There are more ways than one to go about touring.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If he has a franchise he will have documentation showing as much.
Dont bother going back....con man.

As an aside, a lot of 'small' cars dont have a train weight and are not suitable, or legal, for towing and as such no towbars are made for them.
Worth checking the car first.
Like my Smart For Two John, So I made one for it :Eeek: Although later Smarts do have them

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Anything with a name like pod sounds dodgy to me.
Pod.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back