Go Outdoors Leisure Battery (1 Viewer)

Nov 28, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I was going to et two of these from Go Outdoors, has anybody any thoughts on them?

We will not be spending a lot of time in sites and have a couple of solar panels.

Broken Link Removed

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It's 4.5kg lighter than my 110Ah traction batteries.
The plates aren't as fantastically thick as advertised.
I would say they would be OK as a battery for an on grid camper with occasional stops without EHU. If you are looking for serious off grid performance, look to spend a bit more elsewhere.

OP
OP
E
Nov 28, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yep, you still need a card. I get one and share it with the family.

Thank you for the links, I will investigate.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Only buy reputably manufactures battery's. There are so many 'sticker' battery's out there - you have no idea what you are buying.
Halfords don't make battery's and neither do the AA

Numax - Varta - Exide - Banner and a couple of others.

I have two of these.don't cut corners with Battery's - quality doesn't cost it pays.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-CXV35MF-P8275.html

Stud posts are recommended as you can add more cables easily and they save the cost of battery clamps.
Just make sure you get the nuts with them, some seem to be a special thread.

Don't cut corners with Battery's - quality doesn't cost it pays.

I've just looked at Lucas battery's and I'm not convinced even they are not a 'sticker' battery, they look identical to my Numax.

Here is an article I've just found - Interesting reading -------------- http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=21908

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I know a fellow Funster who took the advise of Techno and bought from the Battery Megastore. Well pleased with his purchase both cost and delivery.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I took Andy's ( Techno ) advise and went with three Hankook ones.. Really really pleased with them

OP
OP
E
Nov 28, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Bought out last two from Tayna Batteries. Cheaper than GoOutdoors (do you still have to buy a discount card??), next day delivery, and the batteries are fine - do exactly what they should.
https://www.tayna.co.uk/
or their eBay store:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Tayna-Batteries
They seem great value, just a little
I took Andy's ( Techno ) advise and went with three Hankook ones.. Really really pleased with them
What size Hankook ones did you get?

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
110aH.. look on fleabay for deals on pairs ;)
Which is best? Deep cycle or normal batteries they seem to do two types
Also do 110,115 125ah is it worth getting a particular one or is it just which fits best as diff sizes?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Which is best? Deep cycle or normal batteries they seem to do two types
Also do 110,115 125ah is it worth getting a particular one or is it just which fits best as diff sizes?

Welllll.. I just took out my two 145aH batteries and fitted three 110aH ones..
Not that that helps as the reasons are boring, complex, and proly only of use to myself :)
Really what size you get is up to you.. I will say that like the old Yank saying of ' There is NO substitute for cubic inches' so the same goes for batteries..

What ever size you get, in a few months time you will be saying.. darn it, wish we had gone for the bigger ones !!! LOL !!!

Get deep cycle ones.. Normal ones fail really quickly as soon as they get lower than 15 to 20% of capacity
The fall off curve is really very steep
The name given 'normal' batteries is 'cranking battery'
They are capable of delivering massive amounts of amps but only for a limited time
Deep cycle leisure batteries cannot deliver massive amps ( the plates would almost certainly buckle and or the bus bars joining the plates may fail ) but are very good at recovering from quite deep discharges without permanent damage

In the past few years I have bought various things with the name Hankook on them]
All have been absolutely top notch and very well priced ( canna comment too much on the batteries other than to say so far they have performed really well, but they have only been fitted a couple of months so early days yet.. But the Hankook tyres I fitted to the old Miller were little short of amazing.. dug us out the quagmire more often called Newark show ground, kept us absolutely on track in the snows of northern Spain, and were whisper quiet compared to the old school Michelin Campers I took off )

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Welllll.. I just took out my two 145aH batteries and fitted three 110aH ones..
Not that that helps as the reasons are boring, complex, and proly only of use to myself :)
Really what size you get is up to you.. I will say that like the old Yank saying of ' There is NO substitute for cubic inches' so the same goes for batteries..

What ever size you get, in a few months time you will be saying.. darn it, wish we had gone for the bigger ones !!! LOL !!!

Get deep cycle ones.. Normal ones fail really quickly as soon as they get lower than 15 to 20% of capacity
The fall off curve is really very steep
The name given 'normal' batteries is 'cranking battery'
They are capable of delivering massive amounts of amps but only for a limited time
Deep cycle leisure batteries cannot deliver massive amps ( the plates would almost certainly buckle and or the bus bars joining the plates may fail ) but are very good at recovering from quite deep discharges without permanent damage

In the past few years I have bought various things with the name Hankook on them]
All have been absolutely top notch and very well priced ( canna comment too much on the batteries other than to say so far they have performed really well, but they have only been fitted a couple of months so early days yet.. But the Hankook tyres I fitted to the old Miller were little short of amazing.. dug us out the quagmire more often called Newark show ground, kept us absolutely on track in the snows of northern Spain, and were whisper quiet compared to the old school Michelin Campers I took off )
Cheers which Hankook tyres did you go for?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Buggered if I can remember the numbers..
Basically they were 16 x 215 x 10 10 ply rated at 116 per corner ( 4.1 t van )

Just looked and I believe they were LT RA18

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We only stock Banner and have had no problems with them over a number of years

Peter
I had two fail after 18 months neither Hymer or Banner would honor the warranty as they passed a CAA test which is a test for starter batteries meaningless for a leisure battery.
Do a serch of the German forums if you want to see how useless Banner batteries are.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
2 X Duracell in current van, not sure what Hymer will place in new one

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Although the latest Elektroblocks now have an AGM charge regime I still don't think AGM's are reliable for leisure use, they were developed as starter batteries for stop/start engines.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Picked these up from Battery Megastore today as I was passing Ashchurch, the warehouse is very close to Jct 9 on the M5.
IMG_20160428_173658.jpg

3 x DC 24. 88ah to go in the spare toilet cassette space in our garage to run an inverter.
2 x DC 31. 125 ah to replace the current 5 year old Banners fitted by Rapido.

4 x 25mm Link cables for the group of three

All for £356.25. (y)
Cheers
Ed

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
At the end of the day what you are paying for is the number of cycles. If you are mainly hooked up that is not too important but of grid I would expect that you will start using up cycles quite quickly. Decent leisure batteries should offer over 150 cycles and traction/deep cycle 500+. Just as a comparison starter batteries may not survive more than 25 cycles. As for warranties just how do you the customer prove you have kept the battery properly when the company tells you you haven't

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back