GLW restrictions and the Eurotunnel service - question (1 Viewer)

MrsMac59

Free Member
Mar 18, 2017
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New owner
So, here's a question for the frequent Eurotunnel travellers. Our van has beeen uprated to 4000kg. I've just read the Ts&Cs of Eurotunnel which state it doesn't carry vans over 3500 gross laden on the passenger service, which is ok if we could book freight. Here's the rub though, we will be travelling with 2 cats on board and freight doesn't allow domestic pets. Does anyone know if the 3500kg limit applies to the van as described on the V5, or the actual gross laden weight of the van on the day of travel?

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Motorhomes/Campervans don't travel as freight on Eurotunnel.
They use the usual car service but go with the higher vehicles i.e. coaches, vans, caravans.
When you book on the website it asks you the type of vehicle so you scroll down to Campervan.
All campervans, from PVC's to RV's, go at the same rate. No difference in price whatever the length.

Richard.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MrsMac59

MrsMac59

Free Member
Mar 18, 2017
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New owner
Motorhomes/Campervans don't travel as freight on Eurotunnel.
They use the usual car service but go with the higher vehicles i.e. coaches, vans, caravans.
When you book on the website it asks you the type of vehicle so you scroll down to Campervan.
All campervans, from PVC's to RV's, go at the same rate. No difference in price whatever the length.

Richard.
Hi Richard, thanks for that information, however, the problem is neither the length nor the height, but the gross laden weight recorded on the V5.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
As has been said, you travel with the coaches and vans.I'm 5t and use Eurotunnel all the time,can't see how you can have a problem weighing less than me.o_O Just noticed you are from the Kingdom,understand now.;)

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
@MrsMac59 Just in case you are still having doubts, the first time I used the Eurotunnel was with my 5000kg tag axle Bessacarr, which at well over 8 metres was causing me a few jitters.

I was relieved when I was told to follow a full size passenger coach on and like the others, I paid camper rate.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MrsMac59

MrsMac59

Free Member
Mar 18, 2017
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New owner
Thanks all. Usually we use the ferry and are travelling in a car towing a trailer so this really is all new to us. I had followed a link to some Eurotunnel literature on a very old post elsewhere. It is not clear from the literature that the weight restriction only applies to non-habitable vans using the passenger service, and as "van" seems to be a ubiquitous term covering a campervan/pvc/motorhome, I panicked.

All clear now.

Upvote 0

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
We are 6 tonne and have travelled through tunnel at least twice a year for the last 7 years. Last time there was a huge coach in front of us that must have been at least 25 tonne.

Dick

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I can plan our journey now and just look forward to a glass of wine at the other end.
Sounds like a plan
just to confirm what everyone else has said, we took out 7.5 ton 10 metre Winnebago on the tunnel a few times last year as a camper.
Enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0

frankw

Free Member
Dec 3, 2016
Funster No
Exp
Useful thread (being an e-tunnel virgin :-O ) can anyone confirm that a toad A-frame tow car is also included as part of the camper van rate? Many thanks frank

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Useful thread (being an e-tunnel virgin :-O ) can anyone confirm that a toad A-frame tow car is also included as part of the camper van rate? Many thanks frank
That will be classed as a trailer,gonna cost twice as much.:eek:

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Oh noooooooo! Another "A" frame debate ensues!:eek:
Resist gang!:pray:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MrsMac59

MrsMac59

Free Member
Mar 18, 2017
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New owner
Thank you for your post, Frank. I was beginning to feel like the only turkey in the field, so I'm gladdened to find my confusion was informative for you. Much to learn, eh? I'm confident that we'll get through the mist though, and come out the other side with a great suntan and a wealth of our own useful information. I'm very glad I joined this forum and I'm looking forward to waving to all and sundry (incl. a few Tesco drivers, no doubt), and perhaps pitching up beside one or two of you in the ferry/chunnel queues.

Upvote 0

frankw

Free Member
Dec 3, 2016
Funster No
Exp
T (incl. a few Tesco drivers, no doubt)

@MrsMac59 - now this is really personally very embarrassing... and I would appreciate it if you didn't mention to anyone on the forum - but I er, regularly albeit accidentally... wave at Tesco vans in my eagerness to welcome another motor homer after a few miles driving… we'll keep it our secret, right? Frank :)

ps
but I swear, on the souls of my grandchildren, I have never, ever, waved at a tugger (3x hail Mary!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
10m & 10.5t and the only trouble I have is squeezing the mirrors past the fire doors, which tends to slow the loading and unloading down a tad. :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back