Gluten free availability in mainland Europe (1 Viewer)

May 13, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hi, I have to follow a gluten free diet. From November we will be travelling extensively within Europe and I wondered if anyone has experience of buying gluten free products in such countries as Spain, France, Germany, Slovenia, Croatia , Portugal and perhaps Slovakia, Austria and the Czech Republic. They are readily available in the U.K. and would like to buy them locally in the countries we visit if we can.

I would be very grateful for any information you can give.

Kind regards

Florence

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I am coeliac and found availability of products does vary not only by country but also by region. If there was a Norse influence (north west coast of Spain, Portugal for example) you will find gluten free in the supermarkets as you do in the UK.

Take basic supplies with you but keep to fresh, unprocessed fruit, veg, meat, fish and you will eat well and healthily. Also there are information cards you can get in various languages

Link Removed

Might help.

I found Poland difficult though.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I have also just bought a mini bread maker (the machine is mini and makes a one pound loaf) to take with me in the van. It does need mains power but I will be able to bake and not have to rely on unfamiliar brands although Schar is pretty much universal and their customer service will be happy to help.

If you make up flour blends in advance and weigh out your quantities into loaf size packs you could freeze and use as you need it.

Auto. Correct says Edgar not Schar so sorry about that!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Rossman sell a limited supply of gluten free products. But don't assume all the products on the same shelf are gluten free.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Rossman sell a limited supply of gluten free products. But don't assume all the products on the same shelf are gluten free.

Just like in the UK then!!!!

Even the so called experts get it wrong at times.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015

True....but I can read UK labels. Was stymied by those in Polish, I recognise the individual letters, it's the way they are put together that flummoxes me! Rofl

OP
OP
M
May 13, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Many thanks to everyone for their replies, it is much appreciated. I wonder if there is anyone living in France who has some knowledge of the availability in French supermarkets?

Kind regards

Florence

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
In Spain,Mercadona has large amounts of products that are gluten free.
The Chairman of Mercadona is a Coeliac and has most of the products marked accordingly look for SIN GLUTON

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back