Glucosamine

Discussion in 'Pets' started by jhorsf, Mar 4, 2012.

1. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Do any of you give your old dog anything for joints etc, if so what and where and how much

2. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

i give the wife some cod liver oil every day:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

3. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

We used to give our Border Collie the liquid cod liver oil from a bottle, we would put the recommended dosage into his food and mix it through. However, he could always smell it and would stand and look at the bowl and then look up at me as if to say, "I know you've put that stuff in my food, so I'm not going to eat it".:Angry:

We then tried some tablets that we would crush and put into toast folded over with loads of butter. This was more successful:thumb:

Can't remember the price, but the bottled stuff was quite expensive from what I remember.

Toby was 15 years old when we had to have him put down:Sad:

Margaret

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

We used to give our 18 year old dog glucosamine and some othe suplements from the vets. Quite a high dose as I recall 300mg or more as I remember

It was called Noractive

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/joint-supple...2/noractive-plus-sachets-for-medium-dogs-p-86

Not expensive on the scale of things and it made a real difference to the old boy. He was still active for an old dog with arthritis and was running around with the younger bitch until just a couple of days before cancer took him from us:cry:

• Like Like x 2
  5. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

No, you're right, they are worth every penny, but was meaning that the liquid seemed to be more expensive than the tablets.

Vet UK was the name that I was trying to think of:Doh:

18 years old, that's fantastic. I would dearly love to have Toby back here with us, I still haven't got over having to have him put to sleep in February of last year:cry:

Margaret:Sad:

• Like Like x 1
  6. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

A French Vet recomended Locox from Zubial (a French Firm).
    Can't find them in the UK but we buy them direct of their website 300 at a time.
    Only needs 1 a day & he's been on them for 4 years now. What a difference!

http://www.zubial.fr/h/locox.html

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We all take omega 3 fish oil capsules. Even the dogs ( Border Terriers ) .
    Ruby is 14 and fit as a fiddle. Keeping up with Buster who's 3. We noticed her eyes which were cloudy , cleared up nicely . She stopped prowling up to rocks and the like , thinking they were rabbits /cats. Its good for the brain eyes and joints.
    Ralph and I take broad spectrum multi B vit too . ( Great side effect of that is that it keeps the mozzies at bay too :thumb: I used to get eaten alive , and the volcanic bites needed serious antibiotic treatment . I get the odd nibble now , with no nasty side effects. )

www.zipvit.co.uk Look to the left and they have a special pet section, ours get our omega 3 though.
    So much cheaper than anywhere else . They send offers once you've bought from them , online , too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Mine have a cod liver oil capsule each daily. I just buy the large tubs in Tesco and they eat it in with their food. They also have a glucosamine tablet ( as Holly has a damaged leg (beaten before I found her) & Cass has clicky hips!) This has to be crushed into their food but one of the pet med websites sells a really nifty pill crusher.

• Like Like x 2
  9. sue1959

sue1959 Read Only Funster

Arthriad a liquid food suppliment. We used to give that tto our old terrier Jess until we started having to lift up and hold her back end until she got ready to walk. Took her to the vets and he gave her Loxicom (€30 for a bottle that lasted 6 months). After taking it for a couple of days she was like a younger dog. Her hips were inflammed, hence she couldn't get up, and this helped reduce the swelling.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Sad story
    My old border collie Ted was suffering from terrible pain in his hips and could hardly move. We took him to the vet expecting to have him put down, but the vet convinced us to try a glucosamine gel first as he said it had great results.
    After about a week Ted was like a pup running around playing with the kids having a great life. About a week later the farmer was driving up the lane with his dogs in the back of the landrover, Ted heard them coming cleared the five bar gate and went straight under the landrover and broke his back.:cry: He always used to keep an eye out for Ted as this was a something he did a lot when he was younger but for the last couple of years he had'nt been jumping the gate. The farmer was devastated:Sad: and we still had to have Ted put down.

• Like Like x 3
  11. laneside

laneside Funster

Go down to your nearest equine feed store or similar and get a NAF product for horses called Super Flex.

Do not be talked into the doggy product that they also make

it costs about £30.00 ish pound and will last you about five months.

For the first week give it a desert spoon a day on its food as a loading dose and then drop it down to a tea spoon a day

We have used it so many times and we were in the equine trade and sold lots of it for older dogs.

Boss has just read it and says make sure it says soluble super flex as they also make granuels

It is one of those products that we loved selling as the results were outstanding

I kid you not you will see a difference within the first week if you do not I will treat you to your money back if and when we meet up-----yes its that good

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  12. taffybloke

taffybloke Funster

We have 6 border collies. the older ones have VetVits Flexi-Joints (Glucosamine) £12 for 240 tablets.

Whan that stops working they have Metacam. (Prescription only) If the dog can tolerate it. some will have it in there food others I have to squirt it down with a syringe.

Mike

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

:cry:
    Oh thats really sad. But he was out of pain and had a great time , if only for a short while , before the accident.:Sad:

14. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Just been reading your story and it is so sad! I still haven't got over having to have our 15 year old border collie Toby put down in February last year.
    He was hyper all the time, from when we got him as a 6 week old pup until he was about 10 or 12 years then he calmed down a bit:Eek!:
    I took him to dog training when he was 6 months, but the woman taking the classes said to bring him back in year because he was so "hyper". He was upsetting all the other dogs and we weren't welcome:Blush:
    A couple of years back the farmer nearby said to me that he would prefer if we could take him inside the house whilst they were shifting cattle, because he might upset the cattle:Angry: I was a bit annoyed about this because we were in the garden at the time, but it was only for 5 minutes or so. Even the cyclists passing us were wary of passing the gates for fear of Toby barking at them, he was well known for this:BigGrin:
    Anyway, the house is so quiet without him now and we really do miss him:Sad:

We also had our first dog run over, so know how you felt. One minute she was running out of the house, next minute she was gone.

Margaret

15. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

My wife wants to know why I am crying:cry:

• Like Like x 3
  16. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

I know, it doesn't take much to set me off either. We had to wait a week before the vet could put Toby to sleep, it was sheer hell having to go through those last few days......just awful :Sad: Plus 15 minutes drive in the car with the two of us, my son (who was 26) and poor old Toby in the back:cry:
    My daughter wouldn't come, she distanced herself from the whole thing.
    Margaret

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

We use Simply Supplements - Google it - they are in Jersey. Nigel gets his 500mg Glaucosamine and 400mg of Marine Condriotin in one tablet from them for his arthritis - 5 years ago, struggled to walk, now can climb the ladder on the van which he couldn't do before and walk so much easier. They need to be taken for at least three months to get proper effect. Costs £68.00 for the year.

They also have these tablets in their pet section.

Pamala

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Yes Margaret.
    But at least we can have our beloved pets put to sleep .
    We cant our beloved relatives.
    We have to watch for weeks sometimes months before they go . Dosed up on morphine being starved to death.:Sad::cry:
    It happened to 3 of my grandparents. I just hope they were as oblivious as they seamed to be , of the whole experience.

• Like Like x 2
  19. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

our old retreiver was also on metacam.....kept her hips and back legs going for her last few years, but eventually it just wasn't effective any more.

she died of old age (18) just as the vet was about to put her to sleep at home....but we still got a callout bill :Sad:

• Like Like x 2
  20. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

Dogs

We give Glucosamine to all our senior dogs its brilliant, just google there are several cheap suppliers or go to Crufts this week and buy it:thumb:

Dave

• Like Like x 2