Free Member
Feb 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
since 2008
I have been looking into getting a satellite dome for the van.
The most popular seem to be the Camos 30 & Glomex Discovery.

A dome is my only option due to a solar panel and a large rooflight. There is only one position on the roof where either will fit. This is near the front on the passenger side.

As our van is low profile I would like to go for the dome with the least height. This would be the Glomex Discovery.

We would plan to use the van mainly in Ireland & UK. As for Europe it would be no further than southern France, Germany, Begium & maybe Italy.

I have also noticed the Glomex is less expensive which makes me think it may not perform as well as the Camos.

What I would like to know is this, has anyone out there any experience where both the Camos and Glomex were compared at the same time on the extremities of the suggested footprint & one produced better results?

If anyone could suggest another option I would be happy to hear...

Thanks in advance

Mark

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Neta which is fine in UK , have not been over the water yet to check continental performance.
The Glomex and Camos websites should show reception footprint to help with your decision, good luck

Larry

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

A dome is my only option due to a solar panel and a large rooflight. There is only one position on the roof where either will fit. This is near the front on the passenger side.

As our van is low profile I would like to go for the dome with the least height. This would be the Glomex Discovery.

We would plan to use the van mainly in Ireland & UK. As for Europe it would be no further than southern France, Germany, Begium & maybe Italy.

I have also noticed the Glomex is less expensive which makes me think it may not perform as well as the Camos.

What I would like to know is this, has anyone out there any experience where both the Camos and Glomex were compared at the same time on the extremities of the suggested footprint & one produced better results?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Try the Road Pro site, they check the range of nearly all the domes, we have a new KVH which is excellent. They give clear and free advice and we found them to be excellent.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
blokarter

blokarter

Free Member
Feb 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
since 2008
Thanks.

I have done a lot of research already but was looking for anyone who could confirm that either is a good as the manufacturers claim.

I would far rather have someone say don't buy because...... than end up with one which fails to work as claimed.

OP
OP
blokarter

blokarter

Free Member
Feb 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for the replies.

Looked at RoadPro site and spoke to their local supplier over here.

Looks like it will be the new Camos 40 for me.
Going to visit hime next week to see how mad it looks sitting near the front of the roof on our low profile van...

Beggers can't be choosers I suppose......

Mark

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
:Mad: Had a new glomex fitted in january by tynevally motorhomes,went to collect van and agreed to stay overnight.Three days later and no proper picture. The sales manager advised us to return home 360 miles return,with his courtesy car and he would replace glomex system with a camos at no extra cost to ourselves.Every thing now ok so my vote goes to camos.:Smile:
And well done Tynevally.

Jack the Rev

Free Member
Apr 21, 2008
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
20 years
Camos everytime

Thanks in advance

Mark

Mark,

I've got to say CAMOS every time - it can't be beaten.

Jack the Rev

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
What is the best price anyone has found to have one of these automatic systems fitted to their vans?
How much is a ball park price to be expected, and what are your recommendations on suppliers and fitters......
Anyone got negative experiences they could share about these sat systems.

OP
OP
blokarter

blokarter

Free Member
Feb 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
since 2008
I have been quoted £1200 for the camos 40 with a FTA box fitted to work with my own 12volt Sky Box left in too.

I might have to pay more as I have been up on the room measuring. I think there is room to move the solar panel and get the dome in the center of the roof where it may not be a noticeable...

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
I'm looking to get a Camos automatic tracking system fitted before the summer trips, I've found their flat dish to be very good so I assume the dome will be of similar quality.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Don't forget that KVH offer low profile options for low profile vans where a full size system would look stupid in some cases.

KVH are the worlds largest dome manufacturer, offering World Wide Service and warranty assistance.

They are the only viable choice in the marine industry which is far more exacting and has a higher operator expectation due to the really harsh conditions that marine systems have to operate in.

Well worth a look

Eddie

OP
OP
blokarter

blokarter

Free Member
Feb 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
since 2008
Thanks Eddie

I will ask about this one but no doubt it will cost more too...

OP
OP
blokarter

blokarter

Free Member
Feb 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
since 2008
All sorted. Picked up the motorhome with a camos 40 fitted.
KVH was available for the same place but the footprint of the unit wass too big for the space I had.

We opted not to move the solar panel as the roof rails cast a shadow on it which may cause poor performance.

We got a zehnder dx 75 receiver & kept the sky mini box in the system too.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to use it all.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back