Globecar Motorhomes ? (1 Viewer)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Hi Sue.. I think you meant compressor fridge ?

not according to the spec sheets , they have Absorber Fridges .. 3 way
Correct, although I seem to remember they can be ordered with a compressor fridge should it be your preference. Not a bad idea if coupled with a decent solar panel or two.

I haven't checked the 2014 spec., but for 2013, although the 12v system has provision to control an AES fridge, the one fitted is standard manual switchover, which for someone with our usage pattern is a right pain in the posterior. I will probably fit one of those crash sensitive gas regulators & then at least I won't have to switch between 12v & gas umpteen times a day.

Flymal

Free Member
Dec 26, 2012
Tayside
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello Jim. I am no use at posting pics but have a look at this van. Broken Link Removed I don't even know if this will give you a link but try. If you look at the 360 Gallery, this is my van. I can give you a better review if you are interested. I have more gadgets than Jimmy Bond. :Cool: The blokes that built my van are 100% and they will bend over backwards to help. You can have anything built that takes your fancy for a lot less than the other competition.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
If I was going to downsize to a PVC it would have to be on the x250 fiat / Citroen / Peugeot van mainly due to the width and squareness,
As terry says transit is not the best shape.
Iveco great vans but a bit on the narrow side and less payload compared to the fiat.

But If it wasn't built by terry it would probably be from the possl stable.

What I would like to see is a terry built 7.5 ton race style motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If I was going to downsize to a PVC it would have to be on the x250 fiat / Citroen / Peugeot van mainly due to the width and squareness,
As terry says transit is not the best shape.
Iveco great vans but a bit on the narrow side and less payload compared to the fiat.

But If it wasn't built by terry it would probably be from the possl stable.

What I would like to see is a terry built 7.5 ton race style motorhome.
A 7.5 t race van would be a very easy van to convert but I am not sure if a buyer could easily be found /small niece market ?plus almost all race vans seem to be priced quite low.Then again a lot look like sheds :winky:::bigsmile:
I would have a go at anything,or any layout but at the moment it needs to fit on my drive - will look into premises some time down the line :thumb:I am feeling my way at the moment and as I have said all along making vans is the easy part -selling them is the hard bit ::bigsmile:I am sure that this transit will sell if someone comes to look at it -- indeed today I have been to see someone to give my own van a professional paint job with a view to selling her and as much as I dislike Transits which ever sells first I will keep the other simply because now being on my own either van will do, plus I don't envisage having it for long.Once one sells I will use the money to buy the next van for conversion-at the moment I have my L 200 pick up, merc a class,ambulance and the transit,and also on the lookout for another van ::bigsmile: but I would feel a lot happier if the transit was sold -
I could happily keep either M/H AND SELL the pick up and merc to buy a T5 or a Vito which I would convert to a day van with removable units so that I can pick up boards etc in it plus use as a everyday vehicle -obviously it would also be for sale if someone offered good money on it :Smile:
I need to find homes for a vehicle or two if I find another van at the right age/mileage to start converting another so fingers crossed come this bank holiday someone will come to view it :thumb: if not then I revert back to my original plan/advice to put it on ebay with a starting bid of the least I will take and see what happens :Smile:
I know what a classified add costs on ebay(16 quid- ish) but how much do they take on a auction style listing ? Do they have a limit on how much they charge ?
terry

Last edited:
May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Premium Motorhomes
Plumtree Ind Est
Bawtry
Doncaster
DN11 8EW

Globecar and Carthago dealer
New showroom just been built and they are in the process of building a new service/repair/PDI building with accessory shop

Broken Link Removed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a 2012 Autocruise Accent, front half dinette, washroom behind it with kitchen/wardrobe opposite and large transverse double bed or lounge at the rear - we leave it as a double bed/slobbing out lounging space. As it is possible to make it into a rear lounge it has a raised floor which give us storage for our 2 inflatable canoes, paddles, life jackets etc - it's amazing what it swallows, under the 2 lounge settees themselves there is a double layer of storage with the gas locker on the offside (down to the van floor) and boiler at the side about 8 inches bove the van floor so that we also have a long storage area running the full length under that settee which easily takes our windbreak, collapsible chairs, table, walking poles etc. In the centre above the raised floor we store our folding bikes and other bits and pieces.

We had a really, really good shuftie at the Globecar and Possl vans at Peterborough as 'Ludo' (Rex) had been tempting us with his Globecar! :RollEyes: Whilst we did seriously consider whether his version, or other ones, would better meet our needs, in the end we returned to our own van and went through our normal 'day' living in it and realised that we actually preferred what we had already.

One thing which we would struggle to give up would be the full width freezer box which we have in our 80L fridge as the Globecar and Possl 80L ones only has a small square one in, no where near big enough for us. Also, at first we thought that utilising the corridor space as part of the washroom was a good idea, but when we thought some more we realised that this 'barrier' would actually cause us problems - we use the washroom basin to supplement the kitchen area when cooking (we leave the kitchen sink cover down for additional work surface) but this would mean that the rear part of the washroom roller door would have to be pulled across the corridor thus cutting off the rear of the van, reducing light and preventing access to the rear bed - as we often plonk the dogs on there whilst cooking they would NOT like being shut off and we also use it as a second lounge to sprawl out in (we leave it permanently in bed mode) so that when one of us is cooking the other can chill out, therefore being 'cut off' wouldn't be ideal. In the end we decided we preferred the 'normal' bathroom layout which didn't include using the corridor, especially since we tend to have good old fashioned strip washes rather than showers (easier, use less water, and no mopping up of the room afterwards!). Overall we preferred the Possl version rather than the Globecar ones but there's not a lot in it in reality. The other thing we realised is that the vans actually do NOT have a lot of kit as standard, lots of stuff is extra which soon bumps the price up so they aren't as cheap as they may at first appear.

We like having a rear bed and front lounge layout as we have in effect 2 rooms, so if we want to have a bit of quiet on our own we can each have our own space. I'm not saying that this would be the same with you but it is something that needs to be thought of carefully ... if we hadn't we could have made a very expensive mistake.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I know what a classified add costs on ebay(16 quid- ish) but how much do they take on a auction style listing ? Do they have a limit on how much they charge ?
terry

Ebay have recently changed the way they charge for listings and selling, the cost of putting on ads for vehicles is show on their webpage below:

Broken Link Removed

I've copied the relevant section for you - below picture:

Attachments

• Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Bridie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2010
Bonnie Dundee
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
Since July 2013
We came new to campervans from small Eriba caravan and looked carefully at the Globecar Trendscout. It ticked all the boxes for us, but then we found out that there was a company virtually on our doorstep - East Neuk Campervans in Anstruther.
Loved them and bought a Fifer S last year and been VERY happy.
Take a look.

East Neuk Campervans

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Ebay have recently changed the way they charge for listings and selling, the cost of putting on ads for vehicles is show on their webpage below:

Broken Link Removed

I've copied the relevant section for you - below picture:

Brill thanks very much :thumb:--if I have this right max is aprox £55 if it sells and say £20 if not :thumb: I can live with that :Smile:
looks likes auction listing after the bank hols
terry

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Try Preloved for selling - it's free & when selling our caravan we had it listed there as well as eBay & many more real potential buyers through Preloved. We sold our caravan quickly at the unlikely time of Xmas through Preloved, at the right money & no listing or selling fees!

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We came new to campervans from small Eriba caravan and looked carefully at the Globecar Trendscout. It ticked all the boxes for us, but then we found out that there was a company virtually on our doorstep - East Neuk Campervans in Anstruther.
Loved them and bought a Fifer S last year and been VERY happy.
Take a look.

East Neuk Campervans

Hi.. yes they look good.. thanks, nice to see a family business thriving ..

but, in Suffolk.. not really on my doorstep.. :roflmto:

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Loving this thread, has got me thinking of trading in Big Bertha and our Honda CRV for panel van conversion as everyday vehicle.
I love the space especially with 2 large dogs and a little one but do miss the freedom of just pulling in if I see a little shop etc., also could get kept on drive, so more likely to just get up and go.
Looked at all the websites of ones mentioned and liking quite a few but maybe bit pricey, ideally sale of motorhome and car would cover the new van. Just have to convince hubby now.:roflmto:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Loving this thread, has got me thinking of trading in Big Bertha and our Honda CRV for panel van conversion as everyday vehicle.
I love the space especially with 2 large dogs and a little one but do miss the freedom of just pulling in if I see a little shop etc., also could get kept on drive, so more likely to just get up and go.
Looked at all the websites of ones mentioned and liking quite a few but maybe bit pricey, ideally sale of motorhome and car would cover the new van. Just have to convince hubby now.:roflmto:

that's my thinking.. :thumb:

sell my two cars.. CRV and a Polo (no motorhome at present ) and have a PVC for everyday use..

sold my RV back in 2010 which we had been living in and traveling for three years .

we bought a cheap caravan while we decided what we were going to do..

the travel bug is back .. a van conversion is my prefered choice.. done the big RV, great as it was.. it was so restrictive .. so many places we missed because of the size.. so it will be great to go away knowing we can go anywhere, camp in any site or aire .. and park when we want to.. I'm really looking forward to it.. :Smile:

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
We've done caravanning longer than motorhoming but OH got fed up of towing and we had a trailer tent for a while which I liked but after my cancer 3 years ago my upper arm wasn't stronge enough to help him erect it(that sentence sounds rude:ROFLMAO:)
I seem to want to pack in new experiences now rather than later.:Smile::thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
IH with a slide .. N-CLASS 630 SL

this looks fantastic.

Broken Link Removed

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-KFfvXPnVg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-KFfvXPnVg[/ame]

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ah yes, the IH slide one ... we had a good crawl round it at Peterborough but whilst it gave some extra room it severely restricted the bed - if you wanted to sleep with your head in the 'slide' out bit which would be the most obvious so you had a headrest and somewhere to sit up, the shoulder height was quite tight, but if you slept with your heat towards the door it and forego a headrest etc, it wouldn't matter so much but just wouldn't feel right.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Ah yes, the IH slide one ... we had a good crawl round it at Peterborough but whilst it gave some extra room it severely restricted the bed - if you wanted to sleep with your head in the 'slide' out bit which would be the most obvious so you had a headrest and somewhere to sit up, the shoulder height was quite tight, but if you slept with your heat towards the door it and forego a headrest etc, it wouldn't matter so much but just wouldn't feel right.

Yes, I noticed that in the video... not good ..

other than that.. were you impressed.. any idea on price.. ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
yes ... I hope you're sitting down ...

.... are you ready ....

are you SURE ....

Okay then ...

here goes ....

a 'special offer' price of .....

£79,995 :whatthe:

Broken Link Removed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes, I noticed that in the video... not good ..

other than that.. were you impressed.. any idea on price.. ?

As for whether I was impressed ... it was a very nice van, but to me a lot of wasted space which could have been better utilised especially since it is on the 6.36m base. The price is just stupid though ... :Doh:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Here you go Jim lots of vans to look at --hope the link works
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=T-h8ruMKBog"]Which Motorhome - Van Conversion Ultimate Showdown - YouTube[/ame]
terry

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks Terry.. good to see so many reviewed on the same video.. lots of ideas and plenty of choices = confusion.. :roflmto:

The thread started by asking about Globecar.. it's still a front runner.. nice to see it come first in the review..

cheers mate

Last edited:

4Star

Free Member
Sep 15, 2013
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Jim,

Try Globecar.forumatic.com. Not the busiest site, but you may pick up some more info.

We have a Globescout which we bought at the NEC last November. Apart from the SoftLock failing on the habitation door, we have been very happy with the van.

The dealer on the other hand!!! We will not be going back there. We do have a more local dealer who appears to discriminate on the grounds that we did not buy from them in the first place. I am hoping to get the SoftLock fixed over in Newark next week.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Best PVC

I had the opportunity of trying out one of the Wildax vans a couple of years ago when writing a review for a magazine, and would recommend highly. Duncan was very helpful and vans can be 'tweeked' to your specification. Was also impressed with Shire Conversions when viewed at the show and like what Vantage was doing regarding elec sockets in the kitchen. Having said all that I have recently bought an Autocruise Alto which suits my needs perfectly - however it wasn't without its problems when I collected - don't get me started on the crap service from the dealer!!! Everything now great and I love it.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I had the opportunity of trying out one of the Wildax vans a couple of years ago when writing a review for a magazine, and would recommend highly. Duncan was very helpful and vans can be 'tweeked' to your specification. Was also impressed with Shire Conversions when viewed at the show and like what Vantage was doing regarding elec sockets in the kitchen. Having said all tha[HI]t I have recently bought an Autocruise Alto [/HI]which suits my needs perfectly - however it wasn't without its problems when I collected - don't get me started on the crap service from the dealer!!! Everything now great and I love it.

quite a coincidence.. while at Tesco today we popped into Marquis to look at the Autocruise models.

quite impressed.. but we still prefer the Globecar

As we have researched our requirements have changed slightly.. originally we were after a U shaped lounge, but that's not possible with the other requirements.. now it's..

* 4 belted seats .. it will be used as our main and maybe only vehicle , also want seats and space for a teenage daughter and future grandchildren.

* 3 berths

* transverse rear bed

The Gobecar Family L is out in front.. I like the build quality and the clever use of space, it's fully winterised with the fresh water tank inside.

We both like it a lot, it may well 'be the one' :Smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm selling my Autocruise Pace with the layout you described.
It's on a '11 plate and has a lot of extras over standard.

:Cool:

yes, I saw your post, it would be a serious contender if I were buying imminently..

thanks

InspClauseau

Free Member
May 13, 2014
Uk North
Funster No
MH
Globescout
Exp
18 years
Globecar Globescout.

Hi folks! I've recently imported a Globescout from Germany (& saved a few bob). I wanted LHD as most of my travelling is on the continent. The high rear bed gives excellent storage for bikes & outside gear and I'm taking up a fellow camper's idea of stackable storage boxes for extra clothes etc.
I do miss the big wardrobe of my old 'A-Class', but this way, winter coats used heading south get swapped with lighter jackets etc when in sunny Spain.
I also intend fitting 12 volt sockets and mower-type connector behind the leasure battery for the inverter. The latter has crocodile clips but on this van you cannot get to the battery terminals without removing the seat! The fancy charging unit under the driving seat doesn't appear to have terminals for any high-current device, so I was advised to bypass it for the inverter.
Other personal touches include a head-board for the bed to save crumpling the window-blind, doubling as a temporary shelf tucking under the wardroom door; a slide-out step over the original bed one; and a mini table using the rails of the original. I hate the table as it's always in the way and so heavy to move around, but want somewhere for a cup on the wall side.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back