Globecar gas regulator fitting (1 Viewer)

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I need to fit a bulkhead mounted gas regulator in order to fit a refillable gas system and km looking for information on how the Globecar gas pipe is attached to the regulator.

I have currently have the stock factory setup which I believe is quite common for German models, which comprises a German bottle mounted regulator, to which an orange hose is which is attached to the low pressure side of the regulator and appears to be screwed onto the black copper pipe which leads to the manifold.

I am looking to fit /have fitted a bulkhead mounted regulator to accommodate a refillable system. the first question is what size of regulator do it need? 8mm or 10th? the copper pipe appears to be 8mm, so I suspect I need an 8mm but I am not certain and second opinion would be apprecrefillable

the second question is how does the regulator attach to the copper pipe? I know that it uses an olive arrangements, but I am concerned there is a threaded element currently fitted to the copper pipe as the existing orange hose appears to be threaded.

any information welcomed!
I'll try to add some photos later to explain!
thanks

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I had to get my dealer to send me a bulkhead one as they knew we had a refillable system I wanted to change to our new Globecar but they didn't tell me that it came with a bottle top regulator but to give them their due they did send me one FOC. I can't remember what size it is and can't get at it to check at the moment but it was very easy to fit and I didn't need to buy anything to do the job.

Why not give your dealer a ring and ask them if they 'should' have changed it when they supplied the van (assuming it was UK bought) as that's what should have happened, alternatively give SMC a ring and ask them what you'd need and how much for them to supply ... then you can see if its a good price or whether you can get it cheaper on the web.

Forgot to ask ... what does "apprecrefillable" mean?? :D

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
ah... that is a good idea... I never thought about asking my dealer. I'll pop him an email
My van was self imported from Germany and to their credit, they have supplied me with a UK and a German pigtail and bottle top regulator - but that doesn't help with the problem about what happens when I remove the orange threaded hose from the copper manifold inlet pipe in order to fit a bulkhead regulator. If there is a threaded element on the pipe, that will cause a problem with fiting a regulator that uses an olive - I won't know until I take it apart, but I don't want to disassemble it (and potentially break it) without having a plan to reinstate it again and get it working.

ps... I've no idea what "apprecrefillable" means either! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
ah... that is a good idea... I never thought about asking my dealer. I'll pop him an email
My van was self imported from Germany and to their credit, they have supplied me with a UK and a German pigtail and bottle top regulator - but that doesn't help with the problem about what happens when I remove the orange threaded hose from the copper manifold inlet pipe in order to fit a bulkhead regulator. If there is a threaded element on the pipe, that will cause a problem with fiting a regulator that uses an olive - I won't know until I take it apart, but I don't want to disassemble it (and potentially break it) without having a plan to reinstate it again and get it working.

ps... I've no idea what "apprecrefillable" means either! :)
There was a thread recently where it was indicated that there was a way to adapt the regulator to fit a Gaslow/Gasit bottle ... I'll see if I can find it!

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
ah... this one...? http://www.gasit.co.uk/leisure-gas-...ne-gas-outlet-to-uk-pol-propane-adaptors.html

this is the UK bottle top regulator i have and the orange threaded hose
IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Do you need a bulk head regulator, I have twin Gaslow refillables on my Hymer and I just fitted a regulator on each bottle.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Do you need a bulk head regulator, I have twin Gaslow refillables on my Hymer and I just fitted a regulator on each bottle.
Not if you use the adaptor which is what I assume you've done?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I noticed that too ... other than the item number there doesn't appear to be any difference ... best to ask them!

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
gas-It confirmed the 2 connectors are the same, the different p/n are actually stock numbers from their old and current stock control system :)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yep, I've used adapters as shown below.
IMG_2092.JPG

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
This has got me thinking now! I already have the pigtail with regulator attached that came with the van so if I get an adaptor it would mean I have a back-up system in case of problems with the fixed Truma regulator ... hmmmm.

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
This has got me thinking now! I already have the pigtail with regulator attached that came with the van so if I get an adaptor it would mean I have a back-up system in case of problems with the fixed Truma regulator ... hmmmm.
the only question (which I've not really got an answer to yet, and suspect I won't until I have a go at removing the orange hose from the copper pipe) is how is the orange hose connected to the copper pipe? if it is a threaded fitting and your fixed regulator uses an olive fitting, there might be an issue reconnecting your spare hose to the copper manifold pipe.

I'll let you know once I've had a go.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I think its 8mm ... but how you tell I don't know! :cautious: All the ones I can find on the web are in imperial measurements.:rolleyes:

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
Minxy. Why not carry a spare such as:
Link Removed
If your fixed regulator is playing up you will need a new one anyway.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
the only question (which I've not really got an answer to yet, and suspect I won't until I have a go at removing the orange hose from the copper pipe) is how is the orange hose connected to the copper pipe? if it is a threaded fitting and your fixed regulator uses an olive fitting, there might be an issue reconnecting your spare hose to the copper manifold pipe.

I'll let you know once I've had a go.
A photo might help.

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I'm not at home at the moment! Later tonight! ;)

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I think its 8mm ... but how you tell I don't know! :cautious: All the ones I can find on the web are in imperial measurements.:rolleyes:
I think it is 8mm as well. I measured the black coated copper pipe by the manifold inside the van with a vernier caliper and came up with 8mm.

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
Gerry,
The orange hose that you have pictured has threaded ends. Normally a bottle top regulator is attched to the fixed pipework by a length of hose that has been jubilee clipped to the regulator at one end and the fixed pipework at the other. I strongly suspect that you will not be able to modify your current orange hose to make a different regulator work.
For what it's worth I think that one way forward would be to use the adapter that Minxy has identified or take the problem to a dealer who has staff qualified to so sort it. Personally I would try the adapter first.

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
@cronkle , I agree it is unlikely to be able to modify the orange hose. I was not planning to ;)
I've ordered an adapter and I'm going to get the installation gas checked once I finish anyway. The risk to reward ratio is too high! :)
I'm going to pop by a local MH dealer tomorrow anyway and see what they drink.
Cheers :)

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
here is a close up of the fitting as is as promised. View attachment 147177

@gerry mcg Is the thread on the bulk head regulator the same as the thread on the orange hose, if so is there an olive fitted to the pipe which connects to the orange hose.
Again if so remove nut and olive from bulk head regulator and connect it straight to the pipe and tighten it up when all connected test with leak detector solution.

John.

Deleted User
I can't understand why you think that you would need to modify the hose, surely the adaptor, that you have ordered ,fits on the refillable bottle in order that your existed POL fitting will connect.

Sorry just re read your last post and you are not intending to modify the hose.

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I've had a look at the orange hose fitting in a bit more detail. I got a 8 mm bulkhead regulator as well.
If you the lowest steel nut in the photo above is floating... It just slips over the black pipe.
One then slips a 8mm olive over the black pipe and it should slide freely as well. The lower rhreaded end of the orange pigtail is the same as the bulkhead mounted regulator outlet. The lower floating nut slides up and engages on the regulator thread and crushes . Compresses the brass olive to give a gas tight seal.

The olives will be single use, so if you plan on undoing the regulator, have a spare olive to hand.

It should be possible to swap from a bulkhead mounted regulator to a pigtail version in case of a regulator failure, but you would still need a spare olive

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I've had a look at the orange hose fitting in a bit more detail. I got a 8 mm bulkhead regulator as well.
If you the lowest steel nut in the photo above is floating... It just slips over the black pipe.
One then slips a 8mm olive over the black pipe and it should slide freely as well. The lower rhreaded end of the orange pigtail is the same as the bulkhead mounted regulator outlet. The lower floating nut slides up and engages on the regulator thread and crushes . Compresses the brass olive to give a gas tight seal.
At which point it should look like this: -

2017-02-08 16.54.17.jpg

My Globecar came via a UK dealer, so they had fitted a bulkhead regulator before handover. I have the bottle mounted one, complete with orange hose as per your picture, as a spare.

This picture shows that bottom nut a little bit clearer.

2017-02-08 16.51.55.jpg

You can see where the original pipe clamp was screwed to the bulkhead. They must have removed that when fitting the new regulator.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back