Global Warming???

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by charlie24, Jan 5, 2010.

1. charlie24

charlie24 Read Only Funster

Have you noticed there is a distinct lack of comment from the doom merchants since the snow and ice came. I am puzzled how, after last years coldest winter for years and now this, this can happen with the earths temerature soaring. I am also intrigued how the anti 4x4 lobby has gone very quiet. Am I just being cynical?

2. Mikemoss

Mikemoss Read Only Funster

Have you also noticed how our glorious Met Office (they who are in the forefront of 'climate change' predictions) said we were likely to experience a mild winter in October's long range forecast? Now it turns out it's likely to be the coldest for 100 years or so.

Enjoy the snow, forget worrying about global warming - if it's going to happen it will happen irrespective of what we do about it.

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

No need to puzzle..

Climate change is happening and has many effects, not always warming..

For example, if the Atlantic conveyor stops or changes direction due to the melting polar ice caused by global warming we will have winters like Canada

4. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,

I also agree its very confusing, is the ice cap melting anymore than it has done naturally since the last ice age, I think the main confusing is why isn't anyone prepared to debate this in an honest open way, it seems that equal funds are not given to both sides of this argument/subject, if anyone dares to raise any level of scepticism they are immediately denounced as know nothings,

When asked recently how come the temperature hasn't risen significantly over the last 10 years we are told its a blip, what the bloody hell does that mean, it sounds more like an inconvenience in the global warming scheme, if its just a blip explain BLIP,

Why should we believe the ice cap is melting any more than it has done over the last million odd years, when Ice Road truckers get their longest season ever in the recent series.

How come the Romans used to grow grapes at Hadrian's wall all that time ago.

What happened to the big hole in the ozone layer, don't here much about that anymore, anyone know,

If the email situation recently is true and i haven't heard anyone dispute it yet, why did it appear they were stifling other explanations, if the science is so perfect it should be able to withstand any level of debate, and i would have thought welcome the sceptics to show them the way, but that doesn't appear to be happening, or perhaps I'm missing it.

The question surly is, who is making the climate change or is it a natural phenomenon

There seems to be a lot of issues that as just dismissed as blips etc. if the climate change lobby want to be believed then I suggest they get into open debate regularly with the people who are sceptical and try to educate them as why these blips keep being pushed under the carpet.

That's my rant over.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  5. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

When all said and done, its all speculation. Mind you it all started with Maggie Thatcher, and since has become the Golden Goose for increasing prices and Taxes.
    What rip off merchants will be elected next.

Don

6. geoff587

geoff587 Read Only Funster

Poor old Maggie gets blamed for everything, it doesn,t say much for the heads of state that followed her because they have had 20 years too change her policies. I heard she may have been responsible for the Titantic sinking .:Smile:

7. MrJinks

MrJinks Read Only Funster

My View

I have no doubt that the world's weather is changing. In my lifetime I would consider the winters have become warmer and I am not blind to the reducing polar ice caps and glaciers.

However, as much as I suspect it is being driven by mankind, I do not believe that there is a damn thing that we can do about it. IF the dire prophesies from our scientists and governments turn out to be true, slightly changing our lifestyles by reducing our carbon output is not going to make a jot of difference.

No modernised country is going to make the enormous necessary lifestyle changes required to really change things no matter what the eco-warriors may say. Unless or until a Holy Grail fuel source is discovered and introduced throughout the world to provide all our energy needs I personally think we are whistling in the wind.

Maybe we are all on our way to hell in a handcart, but until then

Don't Worry ....Be Happy :thumb:

8. tofo

tofo Funster

For what it's worth I think some of it
    is growth in air travel taking c dioxide
    closer to the atmosphere than our coal/gas
    heating has ever managed

cars have to take some of the blame mainley the
    amount of new ones produced to replace vehicles that
    haven't arrived at the end of their yousfulness
    but fashion says we must have the latest
    and governments encourage it give a little tax break
    get loads back

then we come to the throw away society
    need a new telly/washingmachine/fridge/
    because it looks old
    can't get stuff repaired because it isn't designed to be

trouble is we are all as bad
    I sit pecking this out on an I phone
    infront of a new telly in a c/heated house
    newish car on the drive
    we used to run old cars get w/machine telly fridge
    repaired but financially now there seems little point
    when the cost of repair is probably half the price of
    a new more efficient unit
    and so it goes on and more countries are becoming as wastfull
    fireing the boilers so to speak

One thing that maybe could help is Less children being bought
    into the world so the earth could recover
    but it won't happen

still not sure if global warming is our fault or not
    but I don't think we are helping
    and I can't feel globally warmed at the moment

scuse my rambling

9. SIFTA SAM

SIFTA SAM Read Only Funster

Think you have got your facts wrong there Jim. The Atlantic Conveyer was sunk in 1982, and how can the 'heading' or position of a container ship affect the weather?

10. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Given this is one of a looooong series of global warming cycles the earth has been through it mystifies me how ANY so called scientist ( who is not in the pocket and pay of a govt somewhere ) can say it is humans that are causing the warming

Where I sit today was once a tropical forest ( wish it was now ! LOL !! Bloody freezing ! ) repeatedly over the millennia..

And yep, the cold is directly attributable to the polar cap melting and pushing the gulf stream further down, thereby shifting the nice warm waters coming up from the mid americas which has given us a fairly ( considering :Smile: ) stable climate

11. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

I'm still trying to get the Millenium bug out of my computer, trying to recover from BSE and mad cow disease, and Salmonella, not to mention Asian flu, (and bird flu while I think of it) to worry about non-science nonsense.... except that I, like everyone else, am having to pay vast sums for Broon and others to jet around to conferences and try to outdo each other in giving our money away.

12. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

We had avian flu and they killed off millions of birds

We had swine flu and the killed off thousands of pigs

Can't wait for Asian flu to come round again...........................

( Yes I know ! Not very PC but it is only meant as a joke !!)

13. wayfarer

wayfarer Read Only Funster

"Global warming" is about more taxes and so called carbon credits and the man who started all this, Al Gore just so happens to own several companies who trade in carbon credits and is making a fortune. Carbon credits are one of the most tradeable commodities at the moment and some people are becoming super wealthy on the back of it, and as usual the little guy pays. Rant over.

14. imprint

imprint Read Only Funster

Nice one, Jaws - oh, and a Happy New Year to you, too, mon vieux!

15. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

Here Here.

16. scotjimland

My mistake, it should have been The Great Ocean Atlantic Conveyor :RollEyes:

try Googling :Wink:

17. scotjimland

Please take time to read the article from the world's oldest scientific academy..

The Royal Society on global warming ..

http://royalsociety.org/Climate-Change/

read and understand the arguments before saying it's all hog wash ..

18. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Its a pity the pollytishuns have turned most of us into sceptics by grabbing all the tax they can on the back of global warming when the carbon emissions from the UK provide just 2% of total global emissions.
    Turning my telly off standby won't change a thing when street lights, office lights, floodlights etc are left on unnecessarily all over the country. Government must set an example in power saving instead of just issuing us with edicts . Man may well be responsible for a proportion of global warming but a great deal of it is likely to be a natural trend.

19. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

People are saying this is the worst winter ever, Crap! l can remember snow like this in the 60s and 70s and 80s. Global warming has been altered to Climate change, cos its not warming up. Its all a con, to raise taxes in one way or another. Waters will rise, we are told, then last week on TV the water behind the Hoover dam is at its lowest ever! Las Vegas will become dry in 15 years they say. l think its a natural change, and the politicians are jumping on the bandwagon taxing all and sundry. Why do people think its unusual for snow at this time of year? For Chris'ts sake, Bing Crosby has been singing about it for the last 300 years!

20. olley

olley Funster

When I went to school it was the Gulf Stream, then it became the North Atlantic drift, now its the North Atlantic Conveyor, one day they may make there minds up. :Doh:

If it does stop, as Jim says we will get a bit chilly, but as the ice increases the sea levels are likely to fall not rise.

Olley