glass and crockery transportation (1 Viewer)

Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
Hi
Im looking for some tips to stop the crocks and glassware from moving around in the cupboards whilst traveling from place to place, are there any good plate racks etc on the market or would i be better off making something bespoke.

Cheers

Neil

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I use a couple of asda dishracks (the ones for draining the dishes) cut the bits i didnt want off fits great in that cuboard above the sink, next to the micro and music machine

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
we also use the non slip matting and also put a cushion in the cupboard to stop things moving about

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Drive slower?:ROFLMAO:

Sorry, couldn't resist, anyway we go with the non slip stuff, a bit of kitchen roll between the actual crockery crockery, and a teatowel around the glasses in a small basket and so far, tempting fate, no problems.:thumb:

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Being a cack handed numpty my son made something up for me. He cut some MDF sheet into pieces the size pf the cupboards and then cut outs the size of the cups & glasses.

For the plates & bowls he cut out MDF and put dowel rods into it around the edges of the plates.

5 years on no breakages::bigsmile:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
In crockery and glass cupboard just put non slip rubber mats underneath, travelled many winding steep roads and never had a breakage (touch wood).

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We have the same problem in our RV, not broken anything yet but been close.
Been looking round and see that Fiamma do an adjustable clamp system that fits into the cupboards, I can't comment on it but idea looks ok, so we are going to give it a try.

Mike

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Glasses & crockery? Plastic and melamine, sorted. :Smile:

Oh, actually I do use arcopal mugs. They fit in some cut out bits that Autosleeper very kindly put in one of the cupboards.

Most caravan dealers sell plastic thingies to go in cupboards that will hold plates, dishes, mugs, etc - caravanning friends who prefer china to plastic report no breakages using them. I would imagine that they would be more shaken about in a caravan than in a motorhome, less suspension and more lateral movement.

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we use the non slip matting stuff,::bigsmile: the only thing that does suffer are wine glasses, we only have one left.......and that's mine. :whatthe:The bottle last a lot longer............:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Bob.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
We have found the best thing is to wrap in tea towels or hand towels, then place on non slip matting.

We have obtained quite a store of these from charity shops never paying much for them, does not matter if they have holes. They also come in handy for spills, leaks and of course drying wet dogs.

If too soiled throw away if not easily washed.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

G

Guy

Deleted User
Use the non-slip soft rubber mesh you put in Shower trays / Baths. Plus kitchen roll between plates. B&Q do a 3 tier chrome plate rack that fits into corner of a cupboard and also slopes backwards, no issues with this so-far even on rough roads.

Plastic cups and melamine!! WHY?? Denby plates and mugs for me! Just because I'm camping in a big box I don't need plastic, might as well have paper plates and mugs and save on washing up!!:RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
place all items in a carrier bag and drop on the floor.

this cuts down on 'just waiting for it to happen' time and the bag saves picking individual pieces off the floor. :ROFLMAO:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
no you dont !!!!!

its the pretty, bright colours that mezmerise you.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Colour ? What's that then ?

Actually you may well be right :ROFLMAO: I have a set of melamine plates at home from an old picnic set. They have bright red poppies on. I do not normally see colour as such but these are so big, bold and bright that I can see them.

I can also drop them when I bump into immoveable obstacles like the missus without breaking them. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Colour ? What's that then ?

Actually you may well be right :ROFLMAO: I have a set of melamine plates at home from an old picnic set. They have bright red poppies on. I do not normally see colour as such but these are so big, bold and bright that I can see them.

I can also drop them when I bump into immoveable obstacles like the missus without breaking them. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oooops.....my apologies graham....forgot you were registered blind :Doh::Blush:

teensvan

Free Member
Jul 25, 2009
Fulltime in Motorhome
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi.

We use non slip matting when on the move and we have never broke anything. I do manage to smash more when when washing up. :ROFLMAO:

steve & ann. ------------- teensvan

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
We also have the non slip matting cut to shape in every cupboard works a treat

OP
OP
Wheelie

Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
Thanks for all the tips, will probably go for china and glass not melamime and get the none slip matting with some racking, although i do like the idea of mdf with slots and holes, might have to have a go ive got a router so who knows maybe mass production!!

Cheers

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for all the tips, will probably go for china and glass not melamime and get the none slip matting with some racking, although i do like the idea of mdf with slots and holes, might have to have a go ive got a router so who knows maybe mass production!!

Cheers

We have the none slip matting etc etc - BUT when you go bombing down a road and miss a speed bump - no amount of non slip matting helps! All the glasses and cups bounced out of the cupboards and smashed on the floor. I wouldn't have minded but we had just travelled from Yorkshire to Santa Suzanna and we were about a mile from our destination when it happened!

Still it gave David and Brenda (they were following us) a good laugh!

Him indoors got a smell of the sea!!!

Ginny

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Glass and crockery

:thumb: Hi when we were at Pickering show last year we went into O,learys tent as you do and we saw some holders for plates cups etc.
The cups and glasses - pint size, wine glasses, cups or mugs just drop into the holder- two in each so I bought 4 of these.
The plates and bowls etc go in a stacking thing that supports them then has about 8 circular rubber mats that are held in place on little pegs supplied.
Think we spent about £15 in total but nothing rattles or moves and we have everything in the drawers under the sink.
Don,t think you could find them on their web site probably have to give O Learys a ring.
They did sell a plastis stacker for plates but it was of no use to us as they drawers were too shallow for the plates to stand on end, but ideal for cupboards I suppose.

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Have to admit to being in the 'melamine brigade' (for most items). It's not the risk of breaking crockery that makes me use melamine, but the bigger risk of china falling out and damaging either the glass top of the hob, or work top. We use the anti-slip matting and it's quite effective. I also have some bits of bubble-wrap to prevent items chattering together in transit.

One day we may get one of those telescopic bars to lock across the front of the cupboard, but haven't bothered so far.

The one thing I don't like in melamine is mugs: they are discoloured too quickly by tea and coffee. Haven't found a suitable alternative yet - might try a lightweight stainless steel camping mug.

Philip

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Have got all melamine, but do have a couple of china mugs, that I store inside the melamine mugs, for my morning coffee, and also as mentioned above, easier to clean inside.

For some stunning melamine....

Link Removed

S.

OP
OP
Wheelie

Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
Would you recommend purchasing said items from shows or from caravan and camping shops, im thinking quality and cost

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Our plates and cups [ bone china ] are kept in a drawer and not in a cupboard we are lucky that the top drawer of our unit is deep enough for this ,non slip material on the base and a piece between each pile of six plates of three sizes, ie dinner, fish and side, our six bone china mugs ride in here too. Our glasses [ Crystal ] are in a cupboard and we have each in a plastic bag to stop then rattling against each other, no breakages to date. I hate Melamine or plastic ,Our china bowls are in another cupboard again with non slip material on the base and each bowl size ,six of each in three sizes ,nest together with a piece of non slip between each size,and all sit inside two big bowls. The secret is to keep the cupboards full to prevent things sliding about.:thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back