LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
A good day out for anybody interested in clocks and watches.

We recently visited Glashutte which is a small town about 30 miles from Dresden in what was the old East Germany, we actually stayed at Paulsdorf and cycled there but there is also a train every hour they told us.

Glashutte is respected as the foremost watch production centre in Germany and in a small town it has at least 11 top brands manufacturing there, Lange and Sohne, Glashutte original, Nomos Glashutte, Union, Wempe, Morritz Grossmann etc etc, some you may have heard of others not.

We had booked a tour around the Glashutte original factory, you do this from their web site and it costs €10 each if you don't own one of their watches (we didn't). The tour was very interesting and informative and in English.

In the town there is the Museum of all things watch and clock making from Glashutte and it tell how they rebuilt the industry after the break up of Germany when the Russians stripped the factories of equipment and sent it all back to Russia.

While you are in the area visit Dresden and Meissen.

Martin

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Morning Martin, hoping to visit Dresden next year will put that tour on our list, thanks.

Eric

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Morning Martin, hoping to visit Dresden next year will put that tour on our list, thanks.

Eric

@gloworm interesting area, also the VW plant in Dresden (see the thread I have not started yet) also a minuture steam ride around the Grosse Garten as its too Grosse to walk around.

Good Stellplatz in the middle of Dresden, I say good, it's a good position but at €18 a night not the cheapest and that many trees that you don't get solar so he sells electric at €5 per day plus €2 to use dump and water point.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Just had a look at an old Lange and Sohne pocket watch on ebay,a rolls royce in watch terms but and a bit out of my league but I can appreciate the workmanship that went into making such timepieces over 150 years ago.For some reason I started to buy up old pocket watches just to repair them about 2 years back had to be 19th century or very early 20th.Mine are the english american type but very interesting and you get a great sense of acheivement when you get one back to life.Thanks for the tip (y)

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just had a look at an old Lange and Sohne pocket watch on ebay,a rolls royce in watch terms but and a bit out of my league but I can appreciate the workmanship that went into making such timepieces over 150 years ago.For some reason I started to buy up old pocket watches just to repair them about 2 years back had to be 19th century or very early 20th.Mine are the english american type but very interesting and you get a great sense of acheivement when you get one back to life.Thanks for the tip (y)

I think I need to start looking at older ones as there are only so many new watches that I can keep going at once, and before I run out of money.

To see them made today with CNC and wire erosion is quite something but to think of doing it 100 years ago is mind boggling.

In the Glashutte boutique in Dresden they had a balance wheel and screws from a modern watch and let me have a go putting in some screws, they were so small that you could not see the slots without a jewellers eye piece, when I skittles the whole box full on the work bench you could pick them up on the end of your finger like you would a crumb, I did get there in though and they gave me the wheel it must be less that 0.5 mm thick and then drilled through the side so the holes must be 0.25 or less.

Martin

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
I'd like to see how the professionals put one together.So add me to a possible for visiting Glashutte when I do a germany tour.
This chap on youtube gave me some inspiration sounds a bit of a character.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back