Glad Have An 'older' Van .. Are You ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Jun 23, 2015.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I keep reading posts about problems with auto this or auto that .. fridges with error codes and doing strange things.. Alde heating that needs a degree to operate.. and Truma boilers that need software upgrades.. it's a boiler not a rocket ship.. :rolleyes:

I like it simple.. I like things I can fix without a degree in computer science.. I like stuff that can be fixed with gaffa tape, tie wraps or WD40 ..

I'm not a Luddite.. I enjoy and use lots of technology.. smart phones etc.. and before retiring digital technology was part and parcel of my job as an instrument tech.

but for a motorhome and when the kit is critical, .. I like it simple.. KISS ..

why do things have to be so complicated.. :(

• Like Like x 32
  2. Wombles

Wombles Funster

I agree - new motorhomes (including ours) are all glitzy & whizzy which is fine until it goes wrong :( Even under warranty it's a hassle. I would happily sacrifice looks for a practical rufty-tufty wipe clean interior with modular, marine quality fixtures & fittings that are from mainstream suppliers & easy to repair & replace. Still looking for such a beastie but if we ever do find it then will probably be above our budget...

• Like Like x 5
  3. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

Im with you Jim as we bought a washing machine recently and it has a funcion on it to keep in touch by Iphone why ? likewise we have just had a new boiler fitted and is is more complex than the starship Enterprise.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Terry

Terry Funster

Don't ask me mate I have just put all this tecky stuff in the van and still don't know what half of it does -This Victron smart/charger/invertor unit and press button fridge/freezer are both smarter than me:( and as to the Hydronic water /heater combined thing with a 7 day timer I fear it will never get used or I will be found frozen to death :)Simple knobs roool as JJ would say ;)
    terry

• Like Like x 6
  5. Goshawk

Goshawk Funster

i have a 2004 autosleeper and think its brill, but what do you mean in terms of old ? just curious :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

Simple knobs rool!!!!

Can you keep politics out of this please!

:cooler:

• Like Like x 10
  7. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

It's the price of parts that annoys me from the likes of Dometic etal

• Like Like x 2
  8. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

I broke a part for my garage door at home recently it was a plastic part that fitted on the back of the door handle it was £18.00 plus post that was a little expensive if I would have had more time I would have made it out of Meccano .

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I can see your point,but as you get older and have more disposable income it's nice to buy new things.

• Like Like x 2
  10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Because university educated kids with no experience of the real world are moving into design and all these complexities are so obviously "good" in the design workshops and look so inviting to the sales people that we get lumbered with them.

How about the Megan that needs the bumper removing to replace a headlamp bulb.

Kids, don't you love them.

• Like Like x 4
  11. scotjimland

no particular year.. our's is 2001 , and has great build quality.. everything works as it should.. as good as the day it left Mr Hymer's factory..
    but any that still have the fridges with knobs and manual power selection and a Truma with two slider switches and a thermostat .. an even older van had a fridge with a flint and wheel sparker to light it.. you looked under it to see if it were lit.. quite often it would go 'bang' .. the same van had a Whale foot water pump on the floor.. and a gas light .. no 12v in these days..

nostalgia .. great init .. starting to sound like my dad.. :LOL:

• Like Like x 8
  12. scotjimland

yes, but only if they work better or are more reliable..

many 'new' things are now built to budget and are not nearly so well made .. that goes for just about anything.. from domestic washing machines to cameras.. all high tech.. all loaded with electronics that are in many cases does not make the product function better .. it often just makes it less reliable..

• Like Like x 4
  13. JJ

JJ Funster

I am totally with Mr ScotJimland on this where motorhomes are concerned.

My 1987 Hymer 660S has...

A 3 way, manually operated fridge.

If I want 12 volts, I switch the 12 volts on.

If I want mains, I switch the mains on.

If I want it on gas, I switch on the gas and operate the igniter by pushing the button to make a spark.

The gas hot water heats the hot water, thats all...

The room heater heats the interior.

A fan can be switched on to circulate the warm air around the space. I can control the speed OR I can switch it to automatic, thermostatic control.

The cooker rings light with a match or lighter thingy.

And this continues through the van with the air cooler and the kitchen extractor fan and so on.

If one item malfunctions (a rare occurrence) it doesn't stop anything else working.

In my opinion, all the gizmos and flashing lights are put in so the salesman in a suit, who has possibly never spent a night in a motorhome, can tell the prospective customer, who has possibly never spent a night in a motorhome, how ESSENTIAL they are.

It makes me think, "Lambs to slaughter".

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 17
  14. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Fortunately ten years with RVs including five years with our present one from new has been fault free, other than couldn't find a 12v circuit breaker . (y)

Now we have a 12 year old Hymer so a new / old experience, looking forward to it, should be fun :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I think it applies to cars too.

All these high tech engine management systems are a load of tosh.

I had a Jaguar once that decided to go into "limp home mode" about 30 miles from home.

Next day the garage hooked it up to some diagnostic machine and there was nothing wrong with it.:doh:

• Like Like x 4
  16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Agree 100% Jim.
    Our van was registered in May 2003. It's easy to use and maintain. In the 3 years or so that we've had it we've looked at several others and never seen anything better.

• Like Like x 2
  17. gibbon

gibbon Read Only Funster

We are very happy with our 15 year old van.
    Big basic turbo diesel with no fancy electrics, no ecu (can't chip it but what the hell).
    Simple gas or electric boiler, fixed it once myself when the tie bar went pop in Ireland, definitely not rocket science.
    Manual step, no Sargent unit, no step program (a program for a step!!!).
    3 way fridge that works in all 3 modes. I have to push the odd switch or turn a knob but it's hardly roughing it.
    Shurflo water pump , solar, ctek, & a good 3 stage charger & that's it.
    I suppose the only thing that could upset the apple cart is the engine alarm/immobiliser but I think it's a basic unit & touch wood it's been fine up to now ( shouldn't have said that should I ).
    The only thing I would change if possible would be full winterisation of the water system as it's a British van with suspended tanks etc.
    I think Brit companies have only started taking winterisation seriously in the last few years, strange because it gets bloody cold here. Must be a demand issue.

Yes, definitely KISS (y)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I agree with what you are saying but my point was that now I can afford it it is nice to buy new than have someone else's cast off, the boss doesn't agree can't get her to get rid of her 16 year old banger, it's cost less over the 13 years we have had it than the services on my 3 year old car, but I still want a new one.:)

Why do they have to put a microprocessor in everything, old fashioned electronics I can fix myself, but I still like to buy new.

19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I had the opposite problem when our Berlingo broke down. When the AA put the diagnostic machine on it all it gave was fuel starvation in cylinder 4. When our own mechanic started the car to check the diagnosis the timing belt broke and caused £800 of damage. It turned out that the fuel starvation was caused by a fracture in the camshaft which the diagnostics were not programmed to identify :(

• Like Like x 1
  20. oldflemo

oldflemo Funster

We required a salad box for our Dometic fridge-Fortunately it was part of the negotiations with Marquis-Cost for box base £52 and another £32 for the lid. Just bits of standard plastic at ludicrous prices!