Giving up motorhoming (1 Viewer)

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We absolutely loved our caravans but I grew to loathe towing for various reasons.
When I realised that I approached each journey with a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach I knew it was time for a change.

Giving up touring was not on the menu so a MH was the logical step and although our experience thus far is limited we thoroughly enjoy it.
I now approach each journey back to the dealer for warranty repairs with a light heart::bigsmile:

A great combination we had many moons ago was towing a Dandy folding camper with an Autosleepers Trident VW hightop, perfect for 2 adults and 3 children.

Deleted User
We travelled the USA for 3 1/2 years and never once met with any animosity towards others because of what they camped in. We spent many a night in travel trailers fifth wheelers and pop ups and made good friends who we are still in touch with. [HI]Still chuck my tent on the motorbike and go off for a few days proper camping I love it [/HI]:thumb:

I had a few motorbikes in the 60's, not been on one for years and am severely lacking in confidence now(still got licence though), push bike fast enough now.

As for tents the last time was probably 15 years ago, had problems getting up off the floor then, probably take me all day now :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I had a few motorbikes in the 60's, not been on one for years and am severely lacking in confidence now(still got licence though), push bike fast enough now.

As for tents the last time was probably 15 years ago, had problems getting up off the floor then, probably take me all day now :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

::bigsmile: Ok I'll own up I do have a little camp bed as well, same as you at 60 I can't sleep on the ground anymore but with a good quality sleeping bag I sleep brilliantly in my tent. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I think my Waitrose analogy works on this thread too...

I like to shop at Waitrose.

Many make a point of telling me: it's more expensive; there is less choice and I can get better stuff elsewhere.

I don't defend my actions and don't feel the need to argue with the naysayers. I don't tell anyone why they are wrong to shop anywhere other than Waitrose. Nor do I tell them why I shop at Waitrose.

I also like to use my motorhome...

jacks girls

Free Member
Feb 12, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm new
I started with a caravan three years ago and switched to the motorhome last year (she's just has her first birthday:Smile:), however I really loved my caravan, it had every mod con, very comfortable and once on site we had a car to tour about in, the downside for me was the towing (roundabouts:Eeek:) and the setting up was longer, especially the awning. The motorhome is slightly more cramped than the caravan but still lovely, it is easier to move on and we have wild camped a couple of times which I wouldn't contemplate in a caravan. They both have pros and cons but it's basically very similar and I wouldn't rule out switching back to a caravan in the future but it's more likely I'd go for a smaller motorhome. ::bigsmile:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
Have both, have had caravans for decades, left to me would sell the caravan, get on site, yes we have a motor mover brilliant things, still got the hassle of fetching water, putting down the steadies, putting up the awning, that is a good hours job at least, lovely when it is windy and raining.

Give me the motor home every time, caravans alright if you want to pitch up and stop there for a week or more, each to their own of course.

Good luck what ever you decide,
Margaret

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Well after several hours of thinking I've Decided on our new rig. ..

We are gong for a 4x4 panda with a modified roof to attach a Fith wheel..I think that will give us the best of both worlds. A good solid Fiat motor that will be good to go skiing in and a decent trailer for sleeping in. .this way we get the best of both worlds.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Been following MagBaz for some years, what they don't know about long term traveling isn't worth knowing.. 27 years of traveling, full time since 1995 that's a lot of knowledge and experience .. much respect.

They make a balanced argument for having a caravan ..

I don't think the argument is balanced, there are some good points in it but it is basically a justification for changing to a caravan, and skims over the disadvantages (having to stay on sites, the difficulties of pitching and moving off, the lack of manoeuvrability in small towns), the advantages of a motorhome are not mentioned, and they also make assumptions that apply to them and not to others. A large 4x4 with a large caravan could easily weigh 5 tons, so arguments about being less than 3.5tons don't really hold water, especially as a lot of motorhomes are under 3.5 tons.
My Land Rover Discovery does not do a great deal more to the gallon than my motorhome, even without a caravan on the back.

That said, it's horses for courses, and I would much prefer a caravan for use in the UK where motorhomes are unwelcome.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994

We are gong for a 4x4 panda with a modified roof to attach a Fith wheel..I think that will give us the best of both worlds. A good solid Fiat motor that will be good to go skiing in and a decent trailer for sleeping in. .this way we get the best of both worlds.

Its true he's gone and done see it for yourself at chester 2015 It will take him that long to tow it there:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• haggers rig.jpg
    haggers rig.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

:wine: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::reel::wooo::imoutahere:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
he is leaving the madhouse.to join the lost and loney. but please buy a return ticket.we will welcome you back.:cry::cry::cry:

mta

Free Member
Oct 21, 2013
nuneaton
Funster No
MH
Carado T138
Exp
since 2000
to me it's down to the journey or the destination. Prefer the destination, caravan. If you want the "journey", go for the motorhome.:thumb:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Well it had to happen sooner of later but I've finally seen the light. After spending this weekend on a CL with 5 thuggers they have convinced me that I'm wrong and that I need to make the switch.

Firstly, they are much easy to transport thesedsys thanks to the wonder of the modern 4x4... Not only can this be used to tow a van but can also be used round town and to drop kids off due to their robustness.

The modern day caravaner has a motor mover, these things rock,,, you can now sit in your house and move the van around the drive, this is something I can't do with a MH and well worth it.

Rollie bowlie wow how good are these things? Where as the motor mover rocks, these things roll...straight from the water tap without an issue, no more stretching a hose from my hose pipe to water filler for me anymore when I can have one of these.

Great people have caravans, people like Edwina curry for starters :thumb:

[HI]So goodbye Motorhomers[/HI] see you on Caravan4fun.com:thumb:

I have to admit I shall miss

Your Good Lady:Smile:
Your Charming Children:Smile:
and Your Dog (Bacon Thief)
:ROFLMAO:

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
4 yrs in total but not consecutively. Just bought the 3rd.
Whatever you do just enjoy it!! You can always change back again at a later date.

I don't really see much of a difference between tenting/caravanning & motor homing except the cost & the difficulties & dangers involved with towing - a friend wrapped hers around a lamppost on her first journey, outside a school about 5 mins before the kids were arriving - needless to say she took the insurance money & wouldn't even consider towing again. That put me off too as I've seen caravans overturned too many times on the way down the main motorway in England on the occasions we've been there.

So drive like a woman if you do get one!!!

Dot

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Its true he's gone and done see it for yourself at chester 2015 It will take him that long to tow it there:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Thank's for the photos Lunar man.

That's a nice rig that. It's slightly different to the one Im getting though.
Mine is a new shaped panda 4x4.

The modified roof will allow the tow hitch from the fith wheeler to be placed directly on the roof. In that cicumstance the panda will actually fit underneath the fith wheeler sort ofmaking it an A Frame in reverse. with built in hydrolics in the release mechanism this will make detachment real easy

I do think that this could be the way forward in motorhoming as it will overcome the problem of taking a car abroad with an Aframe. :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I did consider this last week, as its absolutely stunning. But am happy I didnt win it now otherwise I would have been ostracised :Smile:.

Broken Link Removed

I didnt know you were interested in the sport of fishing Haggars. Maybe at the bring and buy meet you could arrange a match on the cut :winky:.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Will someone PLEASE take the drugs cabinet keys off of Paul before its too late !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back