Free Member
Jul 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
since 1988
Hi
We have sadly come to the conclusion that we need to sell our motorhome and toad. Smart Brabus
as we have not used it since November and then only for a couple of days. Peter's health has not improved as much as we hoped after heart surgery and we feel we need to draw a line on 24 years of motorhoming and follow a different route which takes into account his disability. The question is where to advertise we thought classified on e bay I will be responsible for demonstrating and explaining vehicle and am happy to do this, do you get a lot of time wasters though? The combined value will be approx. 30K
advice please.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Can't help re experience of selling, but just wanted to wish you both well in whatever comes next. You can post an ad on this site too.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:( As with Cat, so sorry you have had to come to this decision .. I go through periods where I feel I too may go down that road and then yo yo as to what to do.

I can't help too much but as well as e bay there is THIS site, and also Preloved classifieds. Don't forget to put a sign on the window for sale with a mobile number so hopefully they will call and you can keep any time wasters at bay.

Once Spring comes you may find it easier to sell as when the sun comes out and the weather improves people are more inclined to start thinking about motorhoming.

With any problems you encounter you can still come on here and ask the members if you think something may not be genuine... be really careful...

CAN SOMEONE PUT LINK TO LUGNUTT'S EXPERIENCE PLEASE .. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO IT .. but that may help re making this lady be aware of people who may not be genuine. Thank you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello, sorry for you that you are having to give up your motor home

Personally I would sell them separately, quite a few buyers would not want a toad so you would virtually give it away to them, others may already have a motorhome but want a toad

It might be an option to ask a couple of dealers what they would give you as well, if not too much below what you expect / need I would take it from them and have no hassle

Good luck

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We're just starting out motorhoming and full of excitement, so have lots of sympathy for you having to stop. Sincerely hope you find something equally fulfilling for your future.

I think this is the post that @movan is referring to
Broken Link Removed

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
You will get tyre kickers and time wasters and smart alecs who think they can nick it off you unfortunately.
If you don't feel confident to deal with them why not consider a broker lots of dealers do it. Just make sure you agree a set fee before you sign up and also agree terms of any part exchange they may take.
We sold one like this and have to say it worked very well got the full price we wanted and sold quickly because most people prefer to buy from a dealer.
Good luck whatever you choose.

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
hi, sorry to hear about your decision - hope everything goes ok for the future.
I agree - it's hard to sell the toad with motorhome - sell them separately.
For your motorhome try motorhome depot. they are brokers and will take 10% of the sale value. However, they can sort out all the financial side, store and demonstrate your vehicle or let you do it.
I had my Burstner with them, after trying to sell it myself and wasting so much time with dreamers.
regards
Don

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
hi, sorry to hear about your decision - hope everything goes ok for the future.
I agree - it's hard to sell the toad with motorhome - sell them separately.
For your motorhome try motorhome depot. they are brokers and will take 10% of the sale value. However, they can sort out all the financial side, store and demonstrate your vehicle or let you do it.
I had my Burstner with them, after trying to sell it myself and wasting so much time with dreamers.
regards
Don
I was just thinking about mentioning them - it does seem to depend on where you live though as they have agents based all over and although some have had good experiences, others have been disappointed.
I'm sure if you have a google & search this site you will find some info on them. Their main office is close by here.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
There are a couple of facebook sites for motor home buy sell.
But I would sell separately, and wait till the start of the camping season.good luck!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
So sorry you are having to give up what you have loved for so long.

I hate selling (and buying) vehicles. Perhaps the garage who serviced it would let you put it on their forecourt? There are also the motorhome magazines and their websites for advertising.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I'm really sorry to hear your news. Almost a quarter of a century of motorhoming; now that's what you call experienced! You must have so many happy memories.

This will come to us all one day.

It's a shame that there are no other options - a smaller van/campervan (don't know if you drive your current vehicle?)

So now a new chapter and we send our best wishes to you both for the future.

James & Sue

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
It's a shame you feel the need to give up but health must come first.

Good luck and long life to you both.

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
Sorry to hear of your news. Like CW we too are newcomers and if we have as many years of motorhoming as yourselves (unlikely), we will consider ourselves very fortunate.
Here's to a new and different memory making time :cheers:

OP
OP
H

Happy Phantom

Free Member
Jul 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
since 1988
Thanks for all info and best wishes, I think with every thing there is time to when the best has been reached. We changed to automatic last year but doesn't really solve other issues, still we will have adventures in other ways and have always keep a log. Will be selling off lots of accessory bits when motorhome is organised so watch this space.

Wild Oggie

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E462
Exp
Mid 70's
Be wary using ebay/gumtree etc as you will no doubt attract the scammers, using the I am away on an oil rig and will pay you the full price via paypal and have my shipping agent pick the vehicle up.
Good luck and be careful

Sep 10, 2014
Nr Whitby north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax Solaris XL
Exp
dont have one yet
Hi there sorry to read your post and sad that you have decided to stop MOHOming but please don't hurry your final decision. I don't know your husbands age but my husband had a triple CABAGE nearly 6 years ago aged 62 and it took a good12 months for him to get back to 'normal' . Exercise is the doctors remedy to getting fit again and it works. Best of luck for the future.

Nese & Mick

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
Sorry to read your story and all the best for the future.
Re selling of the Motor Home - List it everywhere. I've sold narrow boats and motor homes in the past and recommend you stick it on Gumtree, Preloved and E Bay(An E Bay classified ad). If you have anyone in the family who understands basic computers then get them to create a FREE web site using something like Weebly and buy a URL along the lines of www.motorhomesale.co.uk (or similar, for example - it only costs a fiver) You can then link it to tons of forums and sites everywhere. When I was shopping around I very nearly bought from one of these sites - you have unlimited images and descriptions to upload.
When you sell it NO test drives until you have ALL the CASH in your hands. Don't arrange to meet anyone halfway. If they want it they will travel. Do NOT give your PayPal details out - even very basic ones.
Finally - WAIT. Motor Homing is seasonal and anyone buying now wil probably want a couple of grand at least knocking off because they can't use it fully yet. I would haggle because of this. Wait until March.

Jon and Debs

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Great Dunmow Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie Jan 2015
We are new to motor homing and previously 20 year plus caravaners and hope to enjoy MH as long as we can as you have done. You must re focus and try to face this new chapter in your lives with different challenges and experiences geared to your current circumstances. Use the sale proceeds for other interests but most of all I hope that you are able to manage your health situation favourably. you must have some fantastic memories and experiences that the vast majority can never achieve. I can only wish you the very best in all respects and good luck to you both.

Jon

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Perhaps you could advertise it for sale here on the Motorhome Fun site? There have been a few people recently saying that they are looking to buy a motorhome. You would probably get more genuine purchasers here than anywhere else.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
sorry to hear that you have to give up motor homing i am sure its something we all dread you should put details on here first age model price etc as there may be someone willing to buy it of you which would save you the fees of a broker or advertising

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just advertise on here and preloved to start with. Just have to find new ways of enjoying life..not the end if the world? Chin up,!:)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
And once it's sold....... you can buy a narrow boat:) That's my plan when I have less health or more time.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
trying to cheer you up here! Look at it this way..You have had a good 24 years enjoying this lifestyle. What about those who leave it till retirement to start and there are many. Only to discover they have to give it up shortly afterwards....count your blessings :)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Only two things to add really. Firstly can't you take it to your local motorhome dealer and put it on his forecourt with a reserve price and anything he makes over and above is his !!
Secondly, if you put "No offers" ! That tends to weed out the "chancers". And remember, you are coming into the "sellers" time of year..
Your man WILL improve slowly from what he is now, with the exercises etc... !!!
All the best of wishes to you both for the future..
Mitch and Jenny.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the way back after heart surgery can be slow, so don't give up hope yet good luck with the sale.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
so sorry to hear that. we wish you all the best. and don't forget that we are all here if you need us.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Only two things to add really. Firstly can't you take it to your local motorhome dealer and put it on his forecourt with a reserve price and anything he makes over and above is his !!
Secondly, if you put "No offers" ! That tends to weed out the "chancers". And remember, you are coming into the "sellers" time of year..
Your man WILL improve slowly from what he is now, with the exercises etc... !!!
All the best of wishes to you both for the future..
Mitch and Jenny.

I cant agree with you there

When im looking to buy something if it has ono after the price i know i can negotiate with the seller and come away happy with that warm feeling of a deal done :)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
OK Richr. But my intention was to put off the endless chancers who ring up asking "Well whats the least you would take " ? Which we had when selling our firs 2 vans... Their intention being to make a killing by reselling it at a profit..
Just trying to help the lady, who is entering, what to her, seems like a minefield..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back