Giving Motorhomers a bad name (1 Viewer)

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
I said before,people choose their own path,[HI]i drove a lorry for a short time but found it soul destroying(not suited to me )[/HI] I never once felt the need to chuck a bottle of urine or pile of shit at the roadside. When i did drive i planned my route brst i could for breaks.(obviously shit happens) Where these lorries stop (normally the same logos on the trailers ) is only 20 mins from medway services.They stop here because they choose not to pay.Fair enough but take your sh t and p ss with you. Or stop off and use a toilet on route.They do the same route week after week,they know the coo.They know they can dump their waste in a lay-by.::bigsmile:

I only spent time away tramping for 14 weeks and hated every minute of it, Now I will only night trunk to the same place every night so I can get home everyday.

Deleted User
QUOTE=Daveo2006;738118]I said before,people choose their own path,i drove a lorry for a short time but found it soul destroying(not suited to me ) I never once felt the need to chuck a bottle of urine or pile of shit at the roadside. When i did drive i planned my route brst i could for breaks.(obviously shit happens) [HI]Where these lorries stop (normally the same logos on the trailers ) is only 20 mins from medway services.They stop here because they choose[/HI] not to pay.Fair enough but take your sh t and p ss with you. Or stop off and use a toilet on route.They do the same route week after week,they know the coo.They know they can dump their waste in a lay-by.::bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

You try getting onto the HGV parking area on most MSA's in the evening ??

Agree with most of what you are saying but the road haulage industry does not work in such a nice regulated way, too many uncontrollable factors. I and most lorry drivers do not do the same route week after week. Your experience of road haulage seems to have been very limited.

This thread seems to have gone off topic somewhat :Smile::Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Ah well, truck drivers now. At least its giving the travelling community a break :winky:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
QUOTE=Daveo2006;738118]I said before,people choose their own path,i drove a lorry for a short time but found it soul destroying(not suited to me ) I never once felt the need to chuck a bottle of urine or pile of shit at the roadside. When i did drive i planned my route brst i could for breaks.(obviously shit happens) [HI]Where these lorries stop (normally the same logos on the trailers ) is only 20 mins from medway services.They stop here because they choose[/HI] not to pay.Fair enough but take your sh t and p ss with you. Or stop off and use a toilet on route.They do the same route week after week,they know the coo.They know they can dump their waste in a lay-by.::bigsmile:

You try getting onto the HGV parking area on most MSA's in the evening ??

Agree with most of what you are saying but the road haulage industry does not work in such a nice regulated way, too many uncontrollable factors. I and most lorry drivers do not do the same route week after week. Your experience of road haulage seems to have been very limited.

This thread seems to have gone off topic somewhat :Smile::Smile:[/QUOTE]

It was quite limited i agree but theres nothing wrong with my eyesight, i recognise the same trucks that park there and yes we have lost the thread.It was origionally about filthy people leaving their filth where ever they go:ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have had this thought on and off for a couple of years now and have always eventually decided it wasn't worth the effort as I couldn't organise something like this. However I will put it to you lot and see what you think.

As a community we do get tarred with the same brush as the minority of these offenders. Why don't we fight back.

A lot of us must know about some really messy laybys. How about organising clean up weekend informal meets.

We find a campsite nearby and book a weekend for a bunch of us, then we take an hour or two out to go to said lay by and clean it up.

We could leave a sign, stating cleaned up by "......" Motorhomers care about the environment. Maybe get the press notified after we have done a few. Get some positive publicity for our hobby.

We could have a great weekend with beers, wine etc and we only lose an hour or two but hopefully build some reputation for our hobby?

I saw the Londoners cleaning up after the riot, I have seen the ninja/stealth/Guerilla gardeners who green up vandalised and abandoned flower beds. there are loads of examples of communities banding together to improve things in cheap but highly effective manner.

No doubt there will be many people who have a negative take on this quoting things like health issues or health and safety or permissions. But rather than being negative and whinging, why don't we celebrate in the blitz spirit type of thing us British are known for and get off our collective arses and do something about it?

Just a thought ......

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We live next to the camperstop at Totana and, although officially closed, when people arrive they are allowed to stay. So although we have had only a small number of people using the camperstop they have generally been very friendly and happy with their environment here and we and the owners have been very pleased to welcome them here.

However ... we have had a few incidences which have made us sad.

When only two British motorhomes were on site (both with dogs) we found dog sh1t in the picnic area, neatly covered over with gravel after they had left.

One British couple were seen (by a fellow motorhomer and also on the camera) to empty grey and black water, fill up with fresh water and then attempt to leave. Thanks to the other motorhomer they were stopped and asked to pay. They then paid and stayed one night!

A decorative clay water bottle that used to hang in a tree has been taken.

A German motorhome left without paying (and just after speaking to the owner).

As separate incidents they are all quite petty but still they do not give motorhomers a good name.

[HI]Can we get back to the subject as posted in the first post above. This is about OUR hobby and how WE can make it better. Like any hobby it is the people in it that make it work......[/HI]

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I have had this thought on and off for a couple of years now and have always eventually decided it wasn't worth the effort as I couldn't organise something like this. However I will put it to you lot and see what you think.

As a community we do get tarred with the same brush as the minority of these offenders. Why don't we fight back.

A lot of us must know about some really messy laybys. How about organising clean up weekend informal meets.

We find a campsite nearby and book a weekend for a bunch of us, then we take an hour or two out to go to said lay by and clean it up.

We could leave a sign, stating cleaned up by "......" Motorhomers care about the environment. Maybe get the press notified after we have done a few. Get some positive publicity for our hobby.

We could have a great weekend with beers, wine etc and we only lose an hour or two but hopefully build some reputation for our hobby?

I saw the Londoners cleaning up after the riot, I have seen the ninja/stealth/Guerilla gardeners who green up vandalised and abandoned flower beds. there are loads of examples of communities banding together to improve things in cheap but highly effective manner.

No doubt there will be many people who have a negative take on this quoting things like health issues or health and safety or permissions. But rather than being negative and whinging, why don't we celebrate in the blitz spirit type of thing us British are known for and get off our collective arses and do something about it?

Just a thought ......
As long as the beer and wine didnt get jumbled up with the truckers bottles:ROFLMAO: Great ides though,should we start with the A299? I could make the press::bigsmile:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I spent many years behind the wheel of an artic. UK, Europe, Middle East. And i can honestly say that i have never, ever, left a mess of any kind anywhere. I have always had the decency to dispose of any waste, thoughtfully, and properly. I have respect for others, and the environment.
Pigs will always make a mess. Wherever they are.

Craig

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
I spent many years behind the wheel of an artic. UK, Europe, Middle East. And i can honestly say that i have never, ever, left a mess of any kind anywhere. I have always had the decency to dispose of any waste, thoughtfully, and properly. I have respect for others, and the environment.
Pigs will always make a mess. Wherever they are.

Craig

Sorry pigs do not make a mess wherever they are, Humans make a mess whever they are because many are ignorant and dont care about ruining their environment.
Of course this throwing rubbish about is not a new thing, we just have to look back through history to see the crap we humans lived in!
It is also not just in the UK, i am not as well travelled asmany on this site, but I have seen rubbish and litter in every country I have visited.
The reality is we will never stop it happening,, so the best we can do is point out to people that it would be better if they didnt drop their rubbish. Pick it up ourselves which helps set a good example. Or do as Grommett suggests and organise group cleanups.::bigsmile:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
It is a great idea but whose gonna do the bottles and the piles of aah aahs ?:Sad:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Sorry but if I had to point out the error of their ways to some of the chav scum I see dumping crap around it would probably result some sort of violence with me coming of worse
And I not talking about truck drivers most I know are ok

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back