Giving Motorhomers a bad name

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by jumar, Mar 13, 2013.

1. jumar

jumar Funster

We live next to the camperstop at Totana and, although officially closed, when people arrive they are allowed to stay. So although we have had only a small number of people using the camperstop they have generally been very friendly and happy with their environment here and we and the owners have been very pleased to welcome them here.

However ... we have had a few incidences which have made us sad.

When only two British motorhomes were on site (both with dogs) we found dog sh1t in the picnic area, neatly covered over with gravel after they had left.

One British couple were seen (by a fellow motorhomer and also on the camera) to empty grey and black water, fill up with fresh water and then attempt to leave. Thanks to the other motorhomer they were stopped and asked to pay. They then paid and stayed one night!

A decorative clay water bottle that used to hang in a tree has been taken.

A German motorhome left without paying (and just after speaking to the owner).

As separate incidents they are all quite petty but still they do not give motorhomers a good name.

• Like Like x 1
  2. buttons

buttons Funster

You dont have to travel abroad to see this behaviour, most car parks around our coast suffer similar abuse. :Sad:

• Like Like x 1
  3. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

It all gives the "ban 'em all" lobby more ammunition, unfortunately.
    There will be good and bad everywhere, but in the end I suppose we have to police ourselves.
    A similar thing has occured at a farm near us where we buy eggs. There is an honesty box to pay and you serve yourselves. They have had to put up cctv because of thefts of eggs and the money.
    So far they have caught two women, who are known to them and us, and they are prosecuting. This was on seperate occasions and the women are not connected with each other.
    Sad really. :Sad:

For Popeye. More farmers that I know :Wink:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Not just motorhomers

We stopped in the services on the way home from Folkstone the other day to make a brew. Two nice caravans hooked up to a pair of expensive 4x4 parked next to us obviously for the same reason. When they left the mess they left on the ground was disgusting, they'd basically emptied their caravans of all the rubbish food scraps and litter straight out the door onto the parking area. Worse still there was an empty litter bin within 20 yds.

And before anyone suggests it they were'nt gyppos even though they behaved like em.

• Like Like x 1
  5. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

I try to operate in the mindset that the only thing I want to leave behind is thanks and the only thing I want to take away is an invite to return.:thumb:

• Like Like x 17
  6. Mel

Mel Funster

It is the duty of all of us to stop this .

But the few and i do mean few motorhomers that do this make it bad for all of us.

If ever I have been refused overnight parking that reason as always been the dirt left behind by others.

But these people are not real motorhomers they drive motorhomes.

But folk only see a motorhome not the people in them.

So we are all tarred with the same brush.

But I think{hope} no funster whould do this so lets have more funsters.

Mel

• Like Like x 9
  7. Mel

Mel Funster

Actually most travelers caravans dont have rubish in them they are immaculate.

I am notsaying our traveling friends dont leave rubbish.

Mel

• Like Like x 1
  8. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Soo sorry to hear about this my friend.

This is the site we spent most time at in Spain. Nowhere on earth could we have been made more welcome! The site is pristine and a great deal of hard work has gone into it.

So sad to hear of people (animals) like this!!! :Angry:

• Like Like x 8
  9. alfandM

alfandM Funster

its not the animal's ,its the humans behaving like animals, real sad, example m and i pulled into a park area to have a bite to eat and a drink whilst we were transiting Italy, no more than 10mins later a German motorhome pulled right next to us, 2 mins later the smell from out side was awful , so i got out and marched over to the German,he made a excuse that his waste tank was leaking,and then i saw the valve open,after a few choice word IN HIS LANGUAGE ,he then shut the valve and after another few words i had him cleaning the mess up with his on fresh water, around of applause came from M and our kids making the germane so Red faced, to end this i do believe the Human race can act so disgusting it does not matter which country they from ,Rant over

• Like Like x 3
  10. jumar

jumar Funster

We were cycling near Aguilas and slowly riding up a steep hill when a French motorhome passed us. When we got to the top of the hill there is a rough gravel parking area where we hoped to stop for a rest but a few metres from the road was a pool of toilet waste, paper and blue fluid. They couldn´t even be bothered to empty it discretely in the bushes. Obviously just pulled over and hidden by the van emptied their toilet and drove off.

11. Daveo2006

Daveo2006 Read Only Funster

I stopped in a lay by on the A299 Thanet way this morning which i use every day but have never before stopped because its alway full of Articulated lorries from all over Europe who park over night.I couldnt beleive my eyes.Chocker block with all there rubbish, hundreds of bottles full of urine and even piles of human excriment.Absolute filth.People wonder what motorhomers do with all their waste and i would like to think most are responsible,but does anybody stop to think what these lorry drivers do with theirs?They should be stopped parking in our lay-bys and treating them like toilets ,and lets face it there are alot more foreign lorries on that stretch than there are british.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Teepee

Teepee Read Only Funster

I work on a campsite, some people leave all sorts lying around on pitches. Dogs muck, dirty nappies, rubbish strewn all over the place. For the most part most people are good but nothing surprises or shocks me any more. Especially in toilets and showers.

13. Mel

Mel Funster

Sorry stop them leaving dirt yes stop them sleeping in lay by NO.

Where else do they sleep?

UK needs to treet HGV drivers with a bit more respect.
    UK very expensive truck parks most drivers have to pay it out of wages.

And once again not all are dirty.

Mainland Europe has truck parking mostare free or small cost.

This is the problem of one dirty trucker all dirty truckers

One dirty motorhomer all dirty motorhomers

Mel

• Like Like x 7
  14. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

How hard is it
    Rubbish bin bag + bin bag into waste bin when you find one
    If Elaine see me dropping a sweet wrap she goes of on one

• Like Like x 2
  15. Daveo2006

Beleive me its more than one dirty trucker and its only them that stop there.its filth

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mel

Mel Funster

Sorry if its only them that stop there .
    how come you said you stop there every day.

My point is there are people that say all builders are cowboys :Rofl1:

But i am sure you feel that is incorrect.

Mel

17. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Well they should be NAMED and SHAMED by this I mean we have to police our own hobby, [HI]so take a photo of the offending MH or caravan and post it on here[/HI] that way we can see the reg or photo of the offender. If they are members of this forum ( and I hope not ) then they are take the flack.......

Such a shame this happens.

• Like Like x 3
  18. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Not condoning any of this but as I have spent most of my working life on the road I do feel qualified to comment. Truck drivers often have no alternative to parking in lay byes as most towns and cities throughout the UK do not like trucks ( they think that all the goods for sale in there patch come in on a magic carpet !!) or truck parks anywhere near, Drivers are subject to strict working time regulation and are often forced to park in lay byes, industrial estates or wherever they can find....with no facilities whatsoever. A p**s bottle is a fact of life (no cassette toilets in trucks) but should be disposed off correctly, the alternative is p***g on the ground and we all know what that smells like( a French lay bye ??). What exactly would you do when you wake up in the morning busting for a c**p, it happens and there are ways and means but not pleasant. Some drivers perhaps have the attitude that if this is the way that society treats them then............

Not condoning these actions at all and never personally left a mess, no driver likes having to park for the night in lay byes.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Daveo2006

i use the 299 every day and cant stop there because its always full of sleeping truck drivers,sorry i wasnt so clear.

20. Daveo2006

Did you want to get personal meow?