Give Freeloaders an inch....

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jim, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

• Like Like x 1
  2. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Always the minority who are going to spoil it for us all. I hope this sort of thing doesn't result in any knee jerk reactions and they manage to remove the offending lorry. Gives us all a bad name.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Those who are abusing the system are no different, really, from those who have invaded the Scarborough park & ride.

Unfortunately it seems that some people in most sections of society (including motorhomers) are happy to ignore the law when it suits them.

• Like Like x 4
  4. GAVLAD

GAVLAD Funster

Stick a windsurf on the roof and hang an old wet suit at your doorway and you're no longer a motorhomer so they won't complain about you.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Rapido925M

Rapido925M Funster

Without distracting from the behaviour of the lorry resident and others, would Nick Kingston be asking for the banishment of cars or bicycles if one of those had nearly hit his daughter?

• Like Like x 2
  6. phase3begins

phase3begins Read Only Funster

Agree with Gavlad.
    To reach our tiny residents permit parking area you have to pass 8 warning signs and a free public car park. Motorhomes in car park most weekends.
    Surfers are apparently allowed to ignore the signs and the car park to park in the residents area and if that is full across residents access.

'Oh I didn't realise' is tiresome

• Like Like x 1
  7. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

I was wondering what the relevance was of that part of the article.

I think it's called journalistic licence (or irrelevant padding)

8. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Not one of the 'comments' have agreed with the article .
    In fact most are giving the 'windsurfers' a kicking.

Exactly what the comments say.

Place I go to in Kent The local ' Kite surfing' business & customers, more or less takes over the whole of a small car park during daylight hours whilst conducting lessons.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

But that's the way most people reason, we all tend to argue from the particular to the general. If you've seen a motorhomer discharging waste on a residential street then the general public will assume all motorhomers are likely to do the same, and so on.

If the exit from the motorhome bays is across the disabled bays then this is stupid planning and could, presumably, be changed.

My local aire is under constant threat from groups of travellers who cost the council a fortune ( partly the money I have paid in rates) to clear up after. If they had better rights to have them removed they would be more sympathetic to the idea of developing the motorhome parking by adding water and drains etc. It looks like Hayling island have the same problems.

• Like Like x 3
  10. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

A solution to this would possibly be the following....

• No season tickets for anything other than motor cars and motor cycles
    • Make no ticket for overnighting valid for more than 24 hours (a pain, I know)
    • Limited number of clearly marked bays and no parking MH's outside them
    • Stiff fine for abuse of the rules
    • Stop sucking up to the bearded windsurfing community
    • Oh.......and actually get someone to enforce the rules
    Probably won't happen though...... I've never parked down the so don't know much about the actual place, but the above seems logical

• Like Like x 2
  11. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Nothing to do with this then?

Price hike at Hayling Island
    Hayling Island’s Oven Campsite and Fishery Creek Campsite have complained to the council that overnight motorhome parking at West Car Park is affecting their livelihoods. As a result, Havant Borough Council has decided to raise prices for the nightstop from the originally published rates of £8 a night from September to May inclusive and £10 a night from June to August inclusive. They will go up to £10 a night from November to February and £20 a night from March 1 to October 31.

Don't know when this was brought on, but it would put me off paying, were I ever to visit the area.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

Allan...you're thinking like a motorhomer, fair enough as you are one. Try to see it from the campsite owners point of view; he believes his livelihood is threatened, which it well might be if people are staying for 2 or 3 nights in the car park when he would expect them to stay in his site. See it from the point of view of the council; they are being hassled by both sides but the campsite owner pays rates and lives locally. He needs to be kept sweet. Motorhomers seem to bring aggro, need to be cleared up after and don't pay local rates. Some, but not all, will buy and eat locally but then so would the ones staying in the campsite.

Who are you going to try to satisfy first ? This seems to me to be satisfactory to both sides.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

Simple remedy. The council needs to get tough on those people who flout the rules. Parking for over 72 hours should be clamped, fined or towed away.
    Always the few spoil it for the majority.
    Phil

• Like Like x 4
  14. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

It is interesting the reactions..
    No one seems to have much to say about motor homes but there is a lot of anti windsurfing feeling going on

15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Perhaps even simpler to use the definition that Cornwall County Council uses for a Motorhome/Camper - "means any vehicle constructed or adapted for use as a mobile place of sleeping accommodation". As they told me "This definition has been worded so as not to apply only to the traditional motor home but will also cover such things as an estate car with a mattress in the back" so presumably it would cover the lorry as well.
    From memory that change happened very quickly after the scheme was first introduced. It doesn't seem to have put everyone off :)

16. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

Maybe if more campsites understood that a fair majority of motorhomers just want an oblong of space to park on at a reasonable price they would fair better.

I wouldn't consider paying a premium for manicured grass, playgrounds, on pitch facilities, on site shops, swimming pools, etc etc etc.

I just want to park up for the night when visiting an area.

Camperstops are cropping up all over Europe, in addition to Aires etc they offer everything I need at a suitable price point.

That's why I haven't got a caravan

• Like Like x 8
  17. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

Fair enough but, if said campsite owner is keeping an eye on his figures he will know if he seems to be losing revenue year on year. He will also know that the number of motorhomes on the road are increasing yearly as well. He might not blame this on - perhaps- anything he is doing wrong but the local car park scheme is an easy target.

Have you written to your local council and suggested a suitable place locally where they could set up an aire ? Have you told them of the advantages to be gained from one ? Have you offered to come and talk to a council meeting about the advantages ?

We can't expect councillors to know about such places. Stop 10 people in your local town and ask them what motorhomers want and I bet not one of them will have a clue. Councillors are people too, they need to be told and we can't rely on Graham to do it single handed !

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Somewhat reading between the lines of Grahams many posts on similar subjects, it seems that yes, Councillors do not have a scooby what most motor homers want, but equally they do not WANT to know either.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I don't really think approaching your own council about providing an aire is the thing to do, not every motorhomer is interested in setting an aire in their own town, they want Aires in places they visit and going to council meetings in my next destination isn't something I would want to do......
    My previous post was really to point out the huge hike in charges, from £10 a night to £20 a night. The council provided parking for Motorhomes, good on them, then priced them selves out of the market, bad on them.
    As to the campsite owners, I really don't have any sympathy ( and I seem to remember one of the owners might have been a local counsellor, or maybe I made that up)
    Like most other business that prosper, he needs to change with the times, not complain he can't make a living because of competition or people not doing what he wants them to do.

• Like Like x 3
  20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I don't know about that John. Just look at how many more motorhome parking facilities (and overnight camping facilities) there are provided by councils now (plus how much better publicised they are) than 9 or 10 years ago :) In general they have come about because officers and members have listened to constructive approaches (not just from me I hasten to add :D).

• Like Like x 1