cellojane

Free Member
Oct 6, 2009
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Does anyone know about stopping over on Gigha? I assume MHs are allowed on since CalMac have a fare for them but the hotel campsite doesn't allow vehicles on it so I guess it's only wild camping - any experiences??
Thanks
jane

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I'd never heard of the Island so i looked on wikepedia. What a lovely place.
Its definitely going on our must visit list. What is the ferry charge , if you dont mind me asking please ?
Have you tried phoning the hotel . I notice they do meals . They may let you use the car park if you eat there on an evening for at least a couple of your nights whilst visiting. Or they may know somewhere where you could stay , local farm maybe ?
Theres only 150 people on the Island so I'm sure there'd be no bother wild camping . It would just be filling your water and emptying your toilet that would be a problem .
As someone once said to us though ,
you will always get a water tap in a grave yard :whatthe:
Bev

OP
OP
cellojane

cellojane

Free Member
Oct 6, 2009
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ferry charges

It is very beautiful down there :winky: but can be bleak if the weather is rough - ie a lot of the time!!! :cry:
All I know about charges for the ferry is what is posted on the CalMac website (search Calmac on google) - depends on the size of your MH.
jane

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It's a tiny island, as it's only about 3 mls long best appreciated on foot or by cycling

We stayed at a camp site on the mainland, then went as foot passengers and cycled, IMO it's not worth paying to take the van across .. Achamore gardens is worth visiting ..

OP
OP
cellojane

cellojane

Free Member
Oct 6, 2009
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Canoeing

It's a tiny island, as it's only about 3 mls long best appreciated on foot or by cycling

We stayed at a camp site on the mainland, then went as foot passengers and cycled, IMO it's not worth paying to take the van across .. Achamore gardens is worth visiting ..

Just fancied a bit of easy canoeing around bits of the island and lazy days on the nice/windswept beaches for the kids' birthdays:Smile:. Prob will end up day tripping (especially with the MH+canoe trailer ferry price :whatthe:) but thought it worth an ask.
Thanks for your input ScotJimland

niblue

Free Member
May 22, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C-class
Exp
I've been to Gigha on both pusbikes and motorbikes but never with the motorhome (we parked it at the ferry terminal and took the push-bikes over).

There is a spot at the end of the road at the north of the island which seems ideal for wild-camping, but I've no idea if it's allowed or not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back