Gibraltar Route (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
we are off to Portugal in August and are hoping to visit Gibraltar and southern Spain we are after some advice on our route down places to stay and possible flights/ferries to Morocco for a day or two we are going for 3 weeks

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there is a ferry from gib to maroc . it was stopped for years but about 6 years ago it started up again . turners travel in gib were the place for tickets .
mind most going with a m,home find voyages normandie at polmones ind estate give better prices . juan carlos is the man to see or his daughters .
the gib crossing was a bit awkward at some tide times .
to be honest 3 weeks isnt long . will be a bit of a race i think .
just that north coast of spain can use up weeks .
portugal is another great tour . 3 weeks hardly lets you enjoy the coast .
sorry to sound negative but i say go slow its much nicer .
morocco takes even longer to see certainly in the north isnt really true morocco.
first time i went was in 76 been lots times since but still havent seen it all.

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Hi can you stop on gib with van or do we have to park on Spanish side and walk across . I'm under the impression the don't like motorhoms ? Pa as not much room on gib.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in winter a few stop by east beach . over runway turn left at first roundabout then after a while theres a small carpark over looking the beach. not that nice though . there are good buses into the town from the border anyway.
i say drive in turn left if you dont stop at the beach keep going and go through the tunnel . then come out see the europa point drive around abit . stop at morrisons get uk bits then escape .
as you come out of the tunnel look to the right . there is the dump of gib .. lots of monkeys there . parkup and get the operators on the site to disturb the monkeys . far cheaper than paying to see them .

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Three weeks,in my opinion is not long enough. It's at leasr a 4 day drive to portugal and a same for return, assuming Calais is your entry and exit point. That would leave you about 12 days to explore Portugal and it is very litle. You would be better of doing Brittany, quicker to get to and more time to explore. Either way, have a great time.

wurzelwagon

Free Member
May 25, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
9 years
Hi can you stop on gib with van or do we have to park on Spanish side and walk across . I'm under the impression the don't like motorhoms ? Pa as not much room on gib.
I'd give GiB a miss
Purely my own opinion went there 2years ago an wild camped next to the entrance on part of the old airfield I think that was OK
But as for the rock not impressed
Been there seen it won't be going back

Reactions: DBK

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
I can't see us calling there we are up graiding to an RV so we will be even bigger . Have been once on a bus . For the day .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i,m ok i drop the trailer and just take the unit . ideal for cheap fill up.
plus i have a few friends live there.
if you havent been its ok. bit like lands end or john o groats or cabo roca in portugal . just one of those places to see.
expect nothing and you will enjoy.
amazingly busy place .

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
If we get that way will call always did lik shopping at morrisons lol .

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Depending on wether Guardia at the border are playing silly buggers You could spend half of the day just trying to get into Gib. with the van and same again getting out. Large parking area to left of gates (Spanish side) walk over and catch bus into town.

Reactions: DBK

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
even better if you have a small m,bike with you .
then you can jump the queues just like the locals . find easy parking in gib and see all the back streets most never go.
there are thousands of small m,bikes and scooters in gib . its a crazy place.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Forget Morocco this trip. With the van it'll cost you €200 return with Carlos at Voyages Normandie (see Morocco 2015 thread - discount should apply to all Funsters) and you won't see anything much different to Spain/Portugal until you get well south.

If you must, you can take a day trip to Tangiers (without the van). Not sure of prices but it's advertised almost everywhere. Beware, most travel insurance doesn't cover Morocco unless specifically included, also no EHIC.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back