Getting Water on Board

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Zigisla, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Having trawled through most of the threads on this site about setting up and using your MH, it has only occurred to me having read the thread about the hybrid Motorhomers.
    I have read about hoses - long ones, short ones, flat ones, garden ones and food grade ones, and I also get the watering can or jerry can filler uppers. But as I will mainly use the New Forest sites, which those who use them will know, are very very uneven and a rough ride. I can fill up water via food grade hose when we arrive, but I think it will be a right pain to pack up, stow the gear and dogs lash everything down to run the gauntlet of the forest site ground - and possibly loose my space just to fill up again. An aqua roll or Water hog as I have for the folding camper, would prevent the 20 trips with a watering can as it holds 60 litres, but the question is; How do you transfer the water from an aqua roll to the holding tank if motorhomes do not use external pumps like caravaners or folding campers do?

2. K9Brian

K9Brian Funster

Get a submersible pump to drop in the aquaroll then I connect croc clips directly to the hab battery. Some posh funsters install an outside 12v connector socket but I only use it very rarely so croc clips work for me. I also fitted an in line switch to turn the pump on once I've got the pipe in the fill tank which saves you getting soaked.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GWG

GWG Funster

?? So you only have a 3 Litre Watering Can ? Take a 10 litre Watering can, and each morning, take the dog for a stroll, or visit the Facilities, and on your way back, go via the Tap. Chat to the others collecting water, smile. It's not a chore, you don't need to keep the tank chock full, just fill one can each day, or two if you like a lot of water in your Whiskey It's easy.

• Like Like x 6
  4. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

That's what we do, we also take a collapsible plastic 10l carrier, it balances out the watering can and you get 20l (for your whisky)

A win win as they say :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. GWG

GWG Funster

Exactly as we do Although I'm a cider man actually. Couldn't actually be heathen enough to put water in whiskey, although would admit to Dry Ginger.

• Like Like x 1
  6. parknride

parknride Funster

Crikey, you must sup a lot of whisky:beerchug:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

5 litre watering can as the holding tank is 100 litres 60 litres is the aqua roll. Only two trips;) Sill no chore.(y)

Another lesson learned. Every day is a school day on this site and sooo many questions still to come.:rolleyes: Only 5 weeks to go till delivery of my unit:clap:

8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

when you get back to MH you tip 10l at a time from your aqua roll into your watering can......................... :)

or just take watering can a few times directly to tap, also don't leave it till empty next time and arrive full or at least fill when arriving, then 2 x watering cans a day should do most people, otherwise the rest of your day will be spent emptying toilet and grey water (y)

9. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Fine if you've got the space for an aqua roll, we haven't.

But on another note:
    you need a sign to leave on your pitch to say it's taken, you never know when you might want/ need to vacate temporarily. We have a spare number-plate, clubs sell twee motorhome-shaped signs on pegs, some people leave kit on the pitch.

10. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Got to see these :LOL: Something else I need to get. Soon won't have room for the aqua roll.:D

• Like Like x 1
  11. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

12. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

I ran a 12v supply lead to the rear locker adjacent the water fill point and connected a socket. I just open the locker door and connect the relevant connector fitted to supply of a submersible pump which is dropped in the aqua roll, this then fills the inboard tank. When roll is empty just disconnect and refil or job done , lock locker door. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  13. K9Brian

K9Brian Funster

We often travel with just one gas bottle and a roll water tank in the gas locker if we know we'll be stopping at sites with EHU.

14. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

As an add on to my first post, when you are on a serviced pitch, do you leave hose connected to MH and switched on?

I.E. does a MH have a float v/v to shut water off? Really should just wait and find out on delivery day!!

15. K9Brian

K9Brian Funster

I do on the caravan using an aquaroll float valve but never met a motorhome with a shut off valve to stop overfilling

16. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

So. Hose from tap to Aqua roll with float v/v permanently on. 12v pump from Aqua roll to filler point on mh. 12v supply switched inside never having to fill up again. Job done. Now, just need to find a way of emptying the grey water without it going all over the pitch - yes, read those threads too.

17. K9Brian

K9Brian Funster

A length of tubing long enough to go round to opposite side of the van from your waste outlet - sorted - no need to move the van.

18. K9Brian

K9Brian Funster

A length of tubing long enough to go round to opposite side of the van from your waste outlet - sorted - no need to move the van.

19. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

Would agree that unless you have bags of room and a huge family then an aquaroll does seem a bit excessive. Fill up on arrival then just top up daily with what ever method you prefer. For me it is a plastic petrol can as I find the flexi nature of the spout ideal.

20. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Aquaroll and a 12v submersible pump which I just plug into the ciggy socket in the cab..

The only van I've had that you could connect the mains water to was my RV .. it had a 'city' water connection point directly into the cold system.. not to the tank..

Never seen a float valve on a fresh water tank .. no reason it couldn't be fitted though..