Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
A couple of years ago when visiting my daughter in Italy I was amazed to hear the dulcet sound of the Coronation Street theme ringing out. I knew she had no satellite system at home and was watching via her Mac. She gave me this site, https://www.my-private-network.co.uk, which, they claim, 'Open communication, free access to information, and personal privacy: the internet the way it was meant to be. My Private Network offers a low-cost subscription-based VPN service from your computer to our secure servers located in 15 separate countries around the globe. Unblock Facebook and unblock Youtube, watch what you want to watch regardless of the country you live in.'

I tried it on my iPad and phone in Portugal over Christmas and it works brilliantly, provided you have an internet connection and it seems good value at a fiver/month. Before anyone asks I have a TV Licence and will continue to do so when I'm out of the UK. Worth a look!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
There is a free download that does the same. was looking at it on line only yesterday but for the life of me i cannot remember its name. SENILE.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I used Foxy Proxy for the same purpose and around the same cost last year - I trusted Firefox and for a computer laggard like me the instructions were clear enough. With a 19 inch laptop and WiFi all home telly becomes available: of course I realise as a member of 'Fun I should eschew TV as soon as I step in the van and do something more interesting instead, but old habits die hard...

OP
OP
RogeTeri

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Some great ideas here. As long as you have an Internet connection. Apart from hotspots does. Anyone have ideas on cheap access methods in Europe?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I use without problem this site: http://www.unblock-us.com/

Easy to set up on phone, wifi and Myfi in MH to watch UK TV as and when needed. Can also check lottery web site etc.......

Well mine works out as £3.34 GBP a month and I put it any number of machines without problems.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
"A couple of years ago when visiting my daughter in Italy I was [HI]amazed[/HI] to hear the dulcet sound of the Coronation Street theme ringing out."

Personally, I would be horrified.:Doh:

Pete:Cool:

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi RogeTeri.. We like the idea of UK TV abroad, does it use up a lot of your download quota on the MiFi ???? Mitch and Jenny.

gwil

Free Member
Mar 18, 2013
EAST COWES
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Live TV is about 1gb an hour! That's the problem- even if you have an unlimited traffic mobile broadband it'll be slowed to the point of uselessness if you use it a lot for TV.

There's a 'reasonable use' clause in most contacts I've seen.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Going by our experience of getting wifi abroad, most of the time is very poor !!!!!!

If the site offers free wifi, a lot of the time its not great, and buying it is expensive.:Sad:

And if you can send emails its a bonus. :Eek!

I would say a free to air box and a dish.................Job done. :thumb:

All the way down though Spain and now in Portugal with a 1m dish all the channels except channel 5. :thumb:

No worrying about getting internet or paying so much a month. ::bigsmile: Bob.

OP
OP
RogeTeri

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Dish

Do you have a roof mounted or freestanding dish? Is there a cheap yet effective satellite solution?

OP
OP
RogeTeri

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Hi RogeTeri.. We like the idea of UK TV abroad, does it use up a lot of your download quota on the MiFi ???? Mitch and Jenny.

I have use it at home in Portugal so no problems there. Been some interesting posts here though as if you are using mobile data then the cost implications can be high and you may overload on acceptable use.

Have found the site I use good for watching UK TV but will need to consider how I might use this in the van, more likely than not a dish and freeview box may be the cheapest solution.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Do you have a roof mounted or freestanding dish? Is there a cheap yet effective satellite solution?

Hi, free standing on a tripod, I think the tripod cost under £20 and the dish was £29 delivered.

When we got this van 4 years ago, it had a base plate for an Oyster on the roof, but having seen people not being able to park because of trees, we decided we wanted free standing, a stuck the solar panel over it.::bigsmile:

Had many times that we put the dish in all sorts of places and a lot could not park there.

We use a smaller dish and tripod at home, but out here its been great, as we expecting trouble this year with the satelitte being launched. :Smile:

The worst place was Javea one of our favorites could have been easier with a 1.2m. :Doh:

I would say if you get one get the biggest you can carry. :thumb:

Once you get use to setting up its easy.............................. :winky: most of the time. :ROFLMAO: Bob.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back