Getting to like it...

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Cupcake, May 22, 2010.

1. Cupcake

Cupcake Read Only Funster

Having tugged for years I really struggled when we changed to the m/home last July but finally think I'm getting to love it..... it's great that we can travel to work in it on a friday then set off for the weekend straight from work which means that we can travel further afield than we did with the van and get away more frequently as no hassle to get home & hitch up...also drove the m/home for 1st time which i liked, I never tugged always to nervous so another + for the motorhome & the friendly waves we get when in the m/home are another bonus what a friendly bunch...thanks. :thumb:

2. Aspenshaw

Aspenshaw Read Only Funster

We made the change from tugging like you. Once you take advantage of the mobility of a motorhome, including days out, you never want to go back to sitting on a site surrounded by all that paraphernalia that tuggers seem to need.

3. Ash

Ash Trader - Service & Repairs Life Member

We changed from a caravan to a motorhome 3 yrs ago an we have never looked back , arrive in the dark ,no worries , arrive in the rain , no worries , its so much easier :Smile::Smile:

Ash:thumb:

4. allie sommerville

allie sommerville Read Only Funster

It's the only way to travel :BigGrin:

5. G4GMO

G4GMO Read Only Funster

Good to hear you're enjoying the transition. We towed trailer tents for many years. Had some great times but hated the towing even although some of them were only 600kg which is why we never towed a caravan. Putting them up was a pain in the wet too. Changing to the mh was such a joy. :thumb:

6. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Like yourself I also went from tugging to a campervan. Far more versatile and of course, easier to manouevre than a caravan.

My last caravan was 2 metres longer than my camper....and the towing car added another 4.5 metres to make a total 'on road' length of 10.6 metres. And as I was 'flying solo' there was nobody else but me to do all the driving, including of course reversing etc. I must have been mad! :RollEyes:

Because the caravan was quite a heavy build and my car was petrol, it just drank fuel so made any trips out quite expensive and I never tugged it more than over to Wales for the odd weekend.

When I had my campervan (Transit 2.5 non-turbo diesel), I toured the Outer Hebrides, Germany, Czech, Austria, Slovenia, Slovakia, Hungary, and Poland right across to Ukraine.

7. nicklb

nicklb Read Only Funster

I must admit i do have a little snigger when caravans are arriving and leaving, the other sunday we sat out side having our breakfast when a caravan started packing up, over an hour later we left and they still hadnt hitched up, awning, bbq, chairs etc, they were only there two nights, i really could not be bothered.:Wink:

8. Cupcake

Beginning to agree with you allie, will be on the IOW in a few weeks, going to order your book for my 'holiday reading'!:Cool:

9. Cupcake

Yes I couldn't believe the paraphernalia we carried in the van, when we emptied it out for the changover, most of it never used!

10. Dalek

Dalek Read Only Funster

Welcome Cupcake from another Norfolk -er. We'll look out for you on our travels in our Roller Team :thumb:

11. niblue

niblue Read Only Funster

One of the things we like best about the motorhome is that we can load it up the night before and then head out on the Friday evening. We sometimes only drive for a couple of hours before wild camping but it can be very helpful, especially as it's then very easy to make an early start on the Saturday.

12. Cupcake

Well keep a look out for you Dalek......just spent the w/end in silly Suffolk! :Rofl1:

13. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Likewise changed from tugging 2 years ago, best thing we ever did. I also can't beleive the amount of junk I took out of the caravan still got a couple of boxes full of it in the garage.

Being able to pack and get away so quick is great, one weekend last year decided to go away at 6:10pm on the Friday by 6:40 loaded bikes on the back and driving off, 7:45 camped dinner cooking.

Only downside is the anti Motorhome stance of most UK councils no overnight parking, height barriers etc. but I'm quite happy to spend my money across the water where they welcome us with open arms.

14. G4GMO

G4GMO Read Only Funster

We used to take 2 hours to pack up the trailer tent and get off site. Everything had to go in the right place in order to get it packed. Seems like a nightmare looking back. Lost the kitchen on one occasion, made hell of a bang, a section clipped to the back that formed the rear of the trailer, lights, number plate .... :Blush: no damage but made everyone stare.

I'm definitely sticking to motorhomes. :BigGrin:

15. WillH

WillH Funster

We tugged for many years. Got a motorhome and never looked back, packing up to go to Shetland next week, wouldn't have taken the caravan there.

Bill

16. ddavewoods

ddavewoods Read Only Funster

we changed from being tuggers at the end of last year, did a car boot recently and sold off all the stuff we no longer need from the van, made a tidy sum.

having the motorhome rady to go is a lot better than having to get the van out of storage and the set up at site is so much easier too :Smile:

17. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We made the swap over from tugging dec09 . Haven't looked back. I also drive the MH and never towed the caravan.
    We used to get off most weekends with the caravan staying on Cl's and with a rally group. But then again even with 3 kids and 2 dogs we dont do clutter, so we had it to a fine art , arriving and departing:Wink: We still do get off most weekends , nothings changed apart from the mode of travel . We do find that we will now go out just for 1 night somewhere , where we wouldn't with the caravan .
    Never holidayed in the caravan though , well apart from an unexpected longer stay on a ccc temp holiday location at Whitby for a week. As it was a lovely site and cracking the flags:Cool:
    We are also going to the I.O.W this weekend for the school holidays. Looking forward to it.
    Bev
    Hope its as warm as it is now.