getting to know 1989 hymer 544

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by NickWoolley, Nov 24, 2011.

1. NickWoolley

NickWoolley Read Only Funster

Hi there
    Finally got round to buying family old 1989 B544 TD this Spring.

Its made it to south france and a numbe rof other uk trips this summer without problem.

I've worked out how to use most of the kit but used last week end and needed the gas heater which warmed the van up in no time.

Not sure how the boiler works and red light comes on - the cold water to the taps flows fine although the toilet flush recently stopped. Where is the boiler and any ideas what I need to do to get working and also for winter drain down etc.

Also not tried the warm air yet and not sure how this is powered.

Everything else good, what a great design!

Thanks

Nick

2. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

shes at work . have you looked in the bottom of the wardrobe there's a Bord you lift up

3. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

On the front of the sink there should be a knob to change the tap from red to blue/ hot to cold. You need to turn this to hot and run the tap to draw water into the boiler. The heater controls for ambient heating is usually on the wall of the bathroom over the long settee.
    The gas heater require 2 AA batteries for the ignition,lift the front cover off by pulling out the bottom and sliding it up,its a swine to get back on as the thermostat knob wobbles about. To light turn the knob fully around and hold down,you should see the sparkinh and finally the flame through the small window on the bottom. We rarely used our heater and we used the van year round,even in frosty conditions.:thumb:

4. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hello Nick, and welcome to Motohome Fun :welcomefunster:

5. Redjumpa

Redjumpa Funster

Sorry to hijack this thread but does anyone know a reference/make to replace the said knob above as mine has cracked at the back and just turns round and round without changing hot to cold. Mine is a 1991 b544.