Getting the run around from insurance company.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Puddleduck, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

As you may know our motorhome was damaged by debris during a storm.

We contacted the insurance company and got a claims number, took it in to Knowepark for an estimate, as requested, and Knowepark sent the estimate to them within two days as they already had all the prices as we'd pre-warned them. Then ... nothing ... not a sausage.

Phoned the insurance people today and they now say they need photos of the van where it was when damaged, showing the damage and the number plate on the same photo.... which would be impossible since it is the roof lights that were smashed along with a scratch on the roof and the aerial. Luckily we did take photos of the roof before we took it to Knowepark. THey also say they need more information but couldn't tell me what that information is. At no point have we had any communication from the insurance company saying they need more information so I suppose we are supposed to be mind readers and guess what they need - especially the information they want but won't tell us what it is.

So no sign of getting the moorhome repaired or getting it back.

Sorry for the rant. They are quick enough to take your money but not so keen to settle a claim.

2. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Whose the insurers Helen? What a pain but I know you are more than able for them :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

Sorry to see your problem .Which insurance company please.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

ERS (used to be known as Eagle Red Star) - the broker was AIB

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Sorry to hear that Helen, the exact opposite of the way Highway LV treated us. Hope you manage to get it sorted soon.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

What a surprise! How about initially being refused a claim for the death of my wife as a passenger as she was not in the car at the time of the impact as I was changing the wheel and hence "not a passenger". I couldn't even find the small print, let alone read it!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Could you take a photo from an upstairs window that shows the roof & number plate if you can't do it on your property what about a friends or neighbors, probably easier to try and do what they ask than argue with them . You could suggest that if they are not happy with the situation they send their loss adjuster to inspect the van.

• Like Like x 1
  8. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

The MH is already at the repairers

• Like Like x 1
  9. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

The van is now at Knowepark, we did take photos but as the damage is to the roof it wouldn't be possible to get the number plate in the same photo - we did take photos from our windows. It was also imperative that the smashed roof light was covered asap as the rain was pouring in - in fact the insurance company told us to do that immediately but no mention of photos at that point. Knowepark got the verbal go ahead to replace one of the roof lights as that was the one that was letting in water even when covered and they have done that - so now I am wondering of ERS will turn down that part of the claim and say they didn't give the go ahead.

10. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

The "like" wasn't because of your awful story but in sympathy. So sorry you went through the additional *@@*. These people have no compassion.

11. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

The saga continues.

Knowepark sent off photos on Friday and we called ERS on Monday to see what else was needed and if any progress had been made. The claim was in someone's in-tray and had been since the last time we called them even though we had been promised it would be progressed. We were told it would be sent to the engineer that day and they would contact Knowepark immediately. So we left it until today. Caled Knowepark and they hadn't heard anything. Back on to ERS - yes, we sent everything to the engineer, could you check please as Knowepark haven't heard from you. We'll ring you back..... and they did. The engineer has not received the paperwork (same building - just a different desk). Can you resend it as it's all electronic? Hmmmmm not sure. Oh, yes, I've found the file I'll send it again now and you will hear from us early next week.

Not holding my breath.

Luckily the parts aren't due in to Knowepark until end of February / early March but I want the van back on the road asap........

12. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

To me this is standard 'Equity Red Star' service. I had a claim with them a few years ago and they were awful. Even now when I ring around for quotes I always ask which company the broker is quoting for and I won't even get a quote from them . If memory is correct one of the major clubs insures through them and I avoid them like the plague.

13. carolyn

carolyn Funster

Camping and caravan club use them, i was trying to get quotes for a brand new motor home today and they were not interested as it does not have a tracker, looks like a lucky escape, I know what ERS stands for now mr puddleduck.

14. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

This claim mirrors a claim with ERS (through Adrian Flux), I had when tugging.
    I eventually had to call in the Ombudman and, afte 20months of stalling ( no, not for the substantive claim, the recovery of excess) the Ombudsman got me it back in four days.

15. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

write to them demanding immediate action or you will be employing a solicitor on your behalf and sending them the invoice

16. joncris

joncris Read Only Funster

If I'm not mistaken ERS (once known as Eagle Red Star) is a Lloyds Syndicate and yes they have a lousy reputation always have allegedly
    Also you can sue your agent namely ERS so if their dithering causes you to lose out on any meets shows etc you can include 'loss of amenity' in any claim

17. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

Understandable rant Pd and I'm sorry you're having problems. I am interested, and I'm sure others are too, in the outcome. Should you have the time will you keep this thread running until you get an outcome please?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

AS Pd has already said, the like is not for the content of your heartbreaking post but for the fact that you have been brave enough to post it, thank you. Words cannnot describe what I feel about these shysters.

• Like Like x 2
  19. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

Can we just clarify that ERS is the new name for Equity Red Star - Eagle Star are now part of Zurich.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I'll check if the E was for Equity or Eagle when I get chance.