Getting stuck in rally fields (1 Viewer)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I suspect that his defence was based on using the go faster method as the reason for towing at a speed that the prosecution decided was careless.
Not familiar with the court case but would also be laughing if someone told me they had reached a very high speed doing this.

As I said above, if the crashing speed was deemed too high for towing then procecution was justified.
I have often seen caravans and trailers at 70mph which is 10mph quicker than the law allows as a maximum.
Not going into the dynamics in detail but a slight sway at low speed increases its effect and velocity as speed increases causing the much lighter trailer or caravan to have an effective weight well exceeding the towing vehicle. Tail wags the dog and over it goes
Well that's obviously how the experts reckoned and the jury and convicted.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Twice last year I got stuck reversing across my lawn onto my hardstanding :( (Rear wheel drive, so effectively fwd?).

Once I left it overnight and the ground froze = easy solution.

The other time I tried plastic mats, gripper tracks etc to no avail: the ruts took several transplants of soil and grass from other parts of the garden to "repair".

On a damp rally field earlier this year my neighbour decided to copy my example and park on "breadtrays". Unfortunately, he couldn't move forwards nor backwards until a tugger turned up with a 4x4. Then he realised that he had his non-hydraulic jacks firmly pressed into the ground. :sleep:

Plan ahead if you can. Use mats before you get stuck. Keep the revs low. Be nice to tuggers/farmers.

Gordon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Has anyone ever got out of a rally field ( without being towed out ) after getting stuck.

I Know of the mats tracks and bread baskets, but what i'm talking about is geting stuck whilst driving towards the exit.

I have a front wheel drive, and any that i have seen getting stuck have had to be pulled out.

What would be the solution if there are no tractors, 4x4 s or funster bodies to help you out.

Solutions?

Yes we got bogged down at Newark a couple of years ago and all the tractor drivers went home and left us right in the middle of the funster paddock !

Fortunately I had just fitted Hankook tyres on, and I thought.. what the hell.. I will give it a go even though we were beyond tyre deep by then.
Just stuck it in 2nd and lifted the clutch.
Amazingly it just kinda waddled out ! ( 4.1t Miller of a 2006/7 Ducato chassis )

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Twice last year I got stuck reversing across my lawn onto my hardstanding :( (Rear wheel drive, so effectively fwd?).

Once I left it overnight and the ground froze = easy solution.

The other time I tried plastic mats, gripper tracks etc to no avail: the ruts took several transplants of soil and grass from other parts of the garden to "repair".

On a damp rally field earlier this year my neighbour decided to copy my example and park on "breadtrays". Unfortunately, he couldn't move forwards nor backwards until a tugger turned up with a 4x4. Then he realised that he had his non-hydraulic jacks firmly pressed into the ground. :sleep:

Plan ahead if you can. Use mats before you get stuck. Keep the revs low. Be nice to tuggers/farmers.

Gordon
That sounds more reasonable than.... When in doubt, flat out

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Aluminium ground anchor and plasma rope, you haven't got to take any of this gear or any advice for that matter.
If you don't want to go off road then don't!!
Well actually I wouldn't. It's the OP that asked the question. I don't need advice on this matter. I didn't ask for advice. I may not be on the same road but that doesn't mean I'm lost. I've got self help equipment if I really wanted to go off road as in the off roader sense but I don't suppose you'd think my drive is off road but it is.
Please direct your terse reply to the OP who asked for advice and not me who certainly didn't ask for it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Skeggy

Free Member
Dec 12, 2013
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Rob Turner, sorry to ask the question but what are tirfor? Only thing I can think they maybe are the tracks on wires that you secure to the ground before driving over them. Regards.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
A tirfor is a manually operated hand winch. They are small and compact and don't weigh a lot. Mine is rated at a 1000kg with a 8mm rope. It is more than capable of towing a vehicle rated at 3500kg.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back